Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tungsten Grinder Jig

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet this would make a nice grinder........and have lots of other uses in the shop.....only $129

INCLUDES TWO GRINDING WHEELS
    Sharpen high speed steel or carbide tipped tools to precise tolerances. Includes water cup, light, two silicon carbide wheels.

* Cast iron base for reduced vibration
    * Reversing switch
    * Built in mitre gauge

Horsepower: 1/2; RPM: 3400; Wheel diameter: 6''; Max run out: 0.002''; Arbor: 1.25''; Volts 115; Amps: 6.3; Table: 6-3/4'' x 12''L; Dimensions: 15''W x 25''L; Base dimensions: 8'' x 8.5''; Weight: 110 lbs.

ITEM 46727-1VGA

$129.99

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=46727

Comment

Or this.......

Or how about this.......Any advantage to slow speed wet honing?

HORIZONTAL 8'' WET/5'' DRY SHARPENER/GRINDER
      HORIZONTAL 8'' WET/5'' DRY SHARPENER/GRINDER

Get your tools razor sharp! The wet wheel moves at a slow 400 RPM to provide a cool, temper-saving edge. The 5'' dry side spins at 3450 RPM to quickly grind away nicks and gouges. Includes adjustable tool rests to sharpen at exact angles and water reservoir with adjustable drip system.

* Wet wheel: 8'' diameter, 1000 grit, 400 RPM
      * Dry wheel: 5'' diameter, 80 grit, 3450 RPM
      * Motor: 1/4 HP, 110 volts, 60 Hz, single phase

ITEM 33867-0VGA

$99.99

Comment

Originally posted by Old Sporty View Post
        Monte - I posted these a while back. This is a simple jig I built.

Name:  9327ad180abedc3393ab3cf4ce092da0.jpg
Views: 2
Size:  425.3 KB
        Name:  cbb7498e17cdca0aadd5a488cc143bb2.jpg
Size:  395.6 KB
        Name:  c54c27e355d39fd2058e7d0cf1066591.jpg
Size:  317.4 KB

This was all made from scrap I had in the shop and a cheap HF 6" grinder.

Works great.
        Looks good. The only thing I had to make was the tungsten holder. Took no time at all. I was going to do it like yours but I started grinding on the side of the wheel and in order to get all the angles figured out, this just was easier.
        What I like about yours is once you figure your grind angle out, the jig need not be changed. I stopped grinding on the edge because it was grooving my wheel and being a 6" wheel, it grinds with a radius which I don't like. I really need to get a better wheel. I hate to part with a $100 for a diamond. After I have more experience with grinding, I'll probably make my own sharpener with
        settable angles in degrees.
        Nick

Comment

tungsten

i use a pen vise with a 6" bench grinder
          Attached Files

Comment

I believe you meant "pin" vise?

That looks like a nice device. Where did you get it?

Comment

old sporty

kudos from me too! I forgot about those pics!
              Question for you and Monte, when you guys drill a small diameter hole like that through 2" (looks about that long) some round solid aluminum to hold the tungsten, how do you accurately hold that piece for a drill press so it stays centered all the way through?
              thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                Monte,

AWSOME PICS!!! Thanks!!!! Where can I get that clamp that goes up and down the 3/8 rod?
                If you're talking about the magnetic base with indicator holder........
                you can get them cheap at ENCO. I bought 6 a while back when there were
                about $12 apiece. The magnet which can be turned on and off has about
                80-90 lb attraction to a good steel surface. They are handy. If you smoke, get the tall one... perfect for holding a smoke and leaving both hands free for welding.

Comment

Monte,
                  HOW THE HECK DID YOU KNOW I SMOKE????!!!!!!!
                  Thanks for the tip, but...how do you hold a piece of round stock perfectly/accurately straight up and down for a drill press?

Comment

Monte,
                    HOW THE HECK DID YOU KNOW I SMOKE????!!!!!!!
                    Thanks for the tip, but...how do you hold a piece of round stock perfectly/accurately straight up and down for a drill press?
                    I did mine in my lathe. If you have a v block or if your vise already has a prismatic jaw, that'll hold it. Or take a piece of flat stock maybe 1/4" thick and drill a 3/8 hole in it and then put your 3/8 round into that and mount on drill table. The hole through 3/8 round doesn't have to be perfectly centered.
                    It doesn't turn.
                    Last edited by monte55; 03-15-2008, 06:06 AM.

Comment

Tungsten grinding jig

kudos from me too! I forgot about those pics!
                      Question for you and Monte, when you guys drill a small diameter hole like that through 2" (looks about that long) some round solid aluminum to hold the tungsten, how do you accurately hold that piece for a drill press so it stays centered all the way through?
                      thanks again!
                      Bert - I also did mine in a lathe. Actually chucked the 1/2" steel rod in my shopsmith and center drilled it with a number bit slightly larger than 3/32". Don't remember the number. Took a little while since I went slowly so as not to break the small bit, but worked perfectly.

As for the block, I drilled it in my drill press.

One note, when I get too much of a groove in my grinding wheel, I just add a washer to move the center over and start on a new groove. I have enough thread on the locking knob to allow me to do this. When I get too many grooves, I'll dress the wheel.

This is a whole lot cheaper than the Sharpie grinder and also gives you the satisfaction of building it yourself. I've probably got an hour in the whole setup which includes cutting and welding the support arm.

Comment

Old Sporty...THANKS!!!

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.