Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cast Iron Tractor Part

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast Iron Tractor Part

This tractor part came in today with a giant cut out where the crack used to be. The part houses the steering box plus is the tank for the radiator and it froze. The guy ground it all the way thru and was going to braze it then he changed his mind. Neverless it was a large gouge. I gave it a few test tacks with some machinable cast rod and it looked like it was going to be ok so i proceded to connect the dots. Then i ground it all out and put some longer beads on it grinding between the beads as i went. I sprayed some pentrating suff on it and didn't see any cracks...Bob

Rod info..
    Crown Alloys 255 Nickel Alloy.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by aametalmaster; 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM.

DID you hear any "ticking" after the arc ended?

I was working on a turbo exhaust case the other day and spotting it with 100 amps for maybe 1/2 to 1 second was cracking it further.

Dug a hole in the ground, lit 5 lbs of charcoal, and blew it with my shop vac, set the casting in the middle of the heat for 25 mins until it glowed, and welded away without any cracking.

Comment

Nope no snap crackle pop on this part. It must have been some quality cast iron....Bob

Comment

Very nice work,Bob

Comment

Don't you just love when the customer helps out. Looks good !

Comment

Filler rod?

Done some cast welding myself , unless I heated the piece all I would hear is snap crackle pop! What type of filler rod were you using?

Comment

Originally posted by mark.902 View Post
              Done some cast welding myself , unless I heated the piece all I would hear is snap crackle pop! What type of filler rod were you using?
              Crown Alloys 255 Nickel Alloy. Directions and info here.
              http://www.crownalloys.com/page10.pdf
              Preheating is not required but will make a softer weld according to the directions. But since i was not going to machine it i didn't worry about it. I have used this rod for about 10 years with no problems...Bob

Comment

Working...
              X
              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.