Tilt bed trailer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tilt bed trailer

I'm building a tilt bed trailer, and am wondering if there is a formula to figure out where the pivet point should be ????

The one I;m building is 4 X 8, single axle

or if someone has plans they would like to share
    Attached Files
    Millermatic 212
    3035 Spool gun
    Miller Spectrum 375
    sigpic

kinda a good rule of thumb is 6 inches in front of axle for tilt,and 6 inches behind axle for non tilt.if your trailer is gonna have a rear gate the 7 to 8 seems to pull good.my welding trailer is 5 x 10 and the axle is set behind 9 inches,and pulls great.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by weld-tek; 03-11-2008, 02:49 PM.

Comment

Also, friend built custom boat trailers for over 35 years. He had a tongue weight of 10%, Coast Guard says up to 15%
      Have fun building it!!!!!!!
      I'm not late...
      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

here is a smoker trailer i built,i thought it was gonna be a little tail heavy with position of smoker so the axle is set 8 inches in rear of axle.pulls great

last pic is a tandem,most people set a tandem at 60-40 percent,but this trailer had a heavy duty split gate so i set it at 52-38.

hope this helps a little,look like u well on your way with trailer,and nice welds.hope my info helps u build a great tailer.
        Attached Files

Comment

go with most tongue weight your tow truck can handle,it will pull better.but u have to calculate your load when building.

look at this trailer,built to haul 2 race cars upstairs,and roll down interstate at 80 mile a hr,catchin wind like crazy.look at spread of axles,and the percentage is way tongue heay when loaded,but it has to pull nice and straight.hope u get what im saying
          Attached Files

Comment

heck bikerbob,i need to learn how to read,i have not anwsered your ?,and rambled about axle placement.

pivot equal or in front of axle.just not on backside.wherever suits the build,but i would prefer a little foward of axle.

Comment

Weld-tek,
              WOOOOOW!!!!!!!!! Nice trailers!! You and Dabar39 should have a contest
              I'm not late...

Comment

bert,i didnt build race trailer,just found pic on web to show what i was talkin bout.

Comment

no, I was talking about your rig and the others
                  I'm not late...

Comment

Working...
                  X