Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Price for argon

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Price for argon

My 336 cf argon tank is getting low. My LWS says $85.02 plus haz material fee. What are you guys paying? I'm in the Kansas City Missouri area.
    I'm at 700 psi. When should I go for refill?
    Thanks
    Nick
    Last edited by monte55; 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM.

id run it till its GONE...

$85.02
    i think i pay like $62 at the LWS

Comment

$30 for the big tank. They get the argon free from the air outside. :

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
        $30 for the big tank. They get the argon free from the air outside. :
        Are you saying you pay $30 for a 300 cf plus argon tank refill?

Comment

Yes i am, gas is a money maker for them!!!!!!!!

Comment

Are you a pro welder with frequent trips to your local LWS? I am not. Could make a difference.

Comment

it was about $40 for my #300 tank haz mat fee for argon??? i dont remember payin that!!

Comment

Originally posted by monte55 View Post
                Are you a pro welder with frequent trips to your local LWS? I am not. Could make a difference.
                I do get a price break. I cant believe the mark-up. All i can say is shop around and-or ask for a price break.

Comment

The last time I exchanged a 160 cu. ft. cylinder of Argon, Airgas got $75.00 with all of the fees and taxes. I'm going to find another LWS.

Comment

Argon..

The mark-up on most gas sales is service and cost based. While many gases are pulled in from the outside, someone needs to refine the 80/20 (Nitrogen/Oxygen) natural air into workable shielding gas along with several other blends. Labor is not cheap nor is maintaining the necessary permits, licenses and not to mention insurance for HazMat and explosive gases. In addition gas suppliers also maintain the cylinders and valves. Every year each cylinder requires hydro and burst testing that is done and certified by outside sources. So while the cost of the product may be next to zero, providing it to you can cost lots of $$. With that said, being a smaller shop or hobby welder with less demand, you should perhaps find a smaller supplier with less overhead and more incentive to earn your business. Our gases are brought right to our shop from Praxair once a month and change out on average about a dozen 125CF #4 shielding cylinders, a few acetylene and Oxy and every once in a full moon Helium. And all I can tell you is I'm paying about 1/2 of what you are delivery included! Look around a bit, you have got to get a better deal than that even with the cost of service!

Good Luck..

TacMig

Comment

Ouch

Ouch I got the big reaming. Bought a spool gun a week ago and they set me up with a 60 CC FT tank for $127.00 $3.00 hasmat and 17.50 to fill it (argon). Ouch
                      Last edited by FabTech; 03-12-2008, 07:00 AM. Reason: Added (argon)

Comment

was paying about $40 for refill on a 300 argon from airgas.went up to $50 now.

Comment

Well I paid $50 for a full size oxy and full size argon today, So I think your paying alot,

I've known these guys since I was 12 though, so that may have something to do with it...

Comment

Originally posted by Badd00SS View Post
                            Well I paid $50 for a full size oxy and full size argon today, So I think your paying alot,

I've known these guys since I was 12 though, so that may have something to do with it...
                            Wow, my full size oxy is $9.63

Comment

Originally posted by ShieldArc View Post
                              Wow, my full size oxy is $9.63
                              Yeah, thats about what I payed I suppose, both bottles came to $50

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.