Grinders and cords

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinders and cords

To paraphrase on old saying: "There are only 2 kinds of grinder cords. Those that have been cut and those that will get cut."

As careful as I try to be, sometimes that cord seems to find its way into the wheel. After the umpteenth time, I came up with this solution. Slip a piece of 1/2" flex conduit over the cord, as shown (I hope) in the attached pics. Problem solved.
    Attached Files

Well thats no good, now it will just take longer to cut them?? Oh, wait i get it now
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

I have found that Home Depot and even Wal-mart has replacement cords that you can get and put on your grinders and other power tools
      for about $6 dollars . 8 feet long

Comment

Is this really an issue for people?

I know cords get severed when stock falls on them, or the tool takes a dive off something, or a hot drop lands on it. But I have never wrapped my cord around the wheel.

The issue I have with my angle grinder cords is that they get snarled when using different units switching back and fourth.

Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Does it make the whole thing heavier? I could see that messing with the weighting of the tool.

Also how do you like the Makita? I've been pretty happy with mine but I haven't put it to too much use, yet.

Comment

I have a Makita that I have had for years and years and it still works great never even replaced the brushes .. it just keeps on going
            I strongly recamend it
            I have a Milwaukee that I have replaced the brushes on and its not nearly as old as the Makita.

Comment

I think it's an innovative idea. It would work really well where someone else might use your tools.
              RETIRED desk jockey.

Hobby weldor with a little training.

Craftsman O/A---Flat, Vert, Ovhd, Horz.

Miller Syncrowave 250.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Richard View Post
                I have a Makita that I have had for years and years and it still works great never even replaced the brushes
                I have a 25 year old Black and Decker Wildcat that has the original cord.

Cords and fingers are two things that I like to keep away fron the grinding wheel or bead brush
                Jeff

Comment

grindage

i see somebodys been grinding aluminumumum
                  Last edited by welderman23; 03-08-2008, 11:39 PM.
                  my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
                  feel free to P/M me

Comment

Never ground a cord , but it looks like a good idea.
                    Have ground the side of a few index fingers before.
                    Especially when you are cleaning something with MEK !!!
                    I have been tased before, and I would rather be tased than get MEK or tolulene in a cut !!!!!!!!!

BTW......Makita rules, dewalt drools........I have a small makita cordless drill
                    that I use to sharpen my tungstens ( YOU KNOW , CHUCK THE TUNGSTEN IN THE DRILL AND GRIND IT ) , and that little $100 makita has less runout ( less than .003 @ 2.00 inches measured) than a $300 Dewalt 3 speed ( .060 @ 2.00 inches).

If you're gonna go BLUE (Miller of course) , then go blue - all the way, with Makita , cause Miller doesn't make power tools, and its the next best thing!!!!!

P.S. 5 Identical Dewalts were purchased at the same time, they all failed my Q.A. test.
                    As have several other Dewalts............. Sorry to be so "Antidewaltishestablishmentarianistc", but I have yet to get one that was precise enough to use for metal. I guess they are good on wood and concrete though, because they will twist yer arm off, and thats where I give Dewalt credit. Brawn over brains all the way!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Are their grinders worth having?
                    Last edited by Blackbird455; 03-08-2008, 02:59 AM.
                    SYNCROWAVE 200
                    Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
                    Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
                    Makita Everything else
                    2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
                    "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
                    USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
                      Are their grinders worth having?
                      Some models are real good, some aren't. Buyer beware.
                      Jeff

Comment

I put my cord in 3/4 rigid conduit. I now have limited use of the grinder but the cord is in great shape
                        Nick
                        Miller 252 Mig
                        Miller Cricket XL
                        Millermatic 150 Mig
                        Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                        2-O/A outfits
                        Jet Lathe and Mill
                        Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                        DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                        Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                        20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                        Propane Forge
                        60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                        Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                        and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim View Post
                          Is this really an issue for people?

I know cords get severed when stock falls on them, or the tool takes a dive off something, or a hot drop lands on it. But I have never wrapped my cord around the wheel.

The issue I have with my angle grinder cords is that they get snarled when using different units switching back and fourth.

"Cord Snarling" is an unwritten law of physics.
                          Griff

Comment

Dewalt cordless drills have always far out performed makita's in my experience. I wouldn't buy anything but a milwaukee corded drill. You want torque - they've got it, and I have the bruised shins to prove it.

Runout in a drill chuck is going to be hit or miss. It's a drill chuck, not a collet.

My camelback drill press has .01" runout with a Jacobs 18N, does that mean that it's unfit for your metalwork too? Point me at another 1/2hp drill that will bore a 1" hole with a 1/8" pilot hole and not care in the least.

Your holes aren't perfectly round using twist drills anyways. Are you reaming them?

As for the dewalt grinders, they've always been good for me. I have a 7" monster that's been around for about 12 years now. That's what I go to when I need heavy stock removal. I've had the other 4 little ones for about 2 years and they're all holding up just fine. A couple are a little noisier than they started, but they haven't failed.
                            Syncrowave 250DX
                            Invison 354MP
                            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                            Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                            Smith O/A rig
                            And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Runout is as hit or miss as the manufacturer lets it be.

Holes drilled with twist type drill bits are not perfectly round, true, but when drilled with a "good" drill (my Sioux,or Makita) , a .125 drill bit will make a hole
                              that is deceptively ( and by that I mean measure it any way you want it) round and will measure out .1255- .126.

This is not a discussion about drills tho, and I am not trying to discount Dewalt or any other brand. I know that a good Dewalt will twist re-bar in half, and have enough torque to throw my 230/6'1" a** around.

What about getting some woven kevlar that is just large enough to slip over your cord? That stuff will take the enthusiasm out of any cutting or grinding tool. At least long enough for you to realize that you are no longer grinding what you intended.
                              SYNCROWAVE 200
                              Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
                              Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
                              Makita Everything else
                              2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
                              "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
                              USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Working...
                              X