X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gas preflo and postflo settings for mm252

best settings to preserve gas usage and still be able to weld thanks all

You're trying to save gas?

Gas is a bad thing, get rid of it! I use our 252 everyday and I'm going to take a shot at saying it really doesn't matter which machine you are using gas flow is gas flow and with that said it's more of a question on material and settings (amp/volt/ws). But in reality, welding gas is your best friend and most consider it as a "setting" i.e. mixture and FR (flow-rate) to archive a desired weldment on specific material. This can go on for some time and I think most agree that: trying to conserve gas is like turning down your amps/voltage to save electricity, not a good idea if your doing a critical weld on heavy material. So my advice would be to ignore the thought of saving gas and instead play with your gas settings to archive the best weldment you can on any given material. But I will say, I get a long real well @20psi 75/25 on mild steel if this helps?

Good Luck,

TacMig
    We depend On:
    Miller | Esab | Lincoln | Fronius
    Baileigh | Drake | Eagle | Knuth
    Victor | Harris | Smith | Bessey
    Snap-On | Hilti | Ingersoll Rand
    Burco/Koco | Onan | BobCat
    Tracker | Infratrol | AmeriCast

We belong to or support:
    American National Standards Institute
    American Welding Society
    The Welding Institute
    Fabricators & Manufacturing Association Int'l.

Anderson & Co. LLC
    Metal Cr
    afters

Comment

preflow and postflow

setings i was asking about is preflow 0 to 05 seconds before arc starts and post flow 0 to 25 seconds after arc stops

Comment

retiredIW,

New feature on the MM252. Not available on the MM251.

I would suspect that minimum (0-1 sec)preflow and (2-3 sec)postflow would be plenty if needed at all. There are, after all a LOT of mig machines out there which do not have that option. Never seen it to be a problem.

I think that postflow with tig is much more critical, both in protecting the weld and cooling the tungsten to prevent contamination. Too little post flow with tig virtually assures a contaminated tungsten. That is not a problem for mig.

I've never heard comments regarding pre/post flow with mig. Maybe some of the guys running the "big rigs" using a lot of CO2 (to help cool the gun) will chime in.
        Syncrowave 250 DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200 DX
        Miller XMT 304 w/714D Feeder & Optima Control
        Miller MM 251 w/Q300 & 30A SG
        Hobart HH187
        Dialarc 250 AC/DC
        Hypertherm PM 600 & 1250
        Wilton 7"x12" bandsaw
        PC Dry Cut Saw, Dewalt Chop Saw
        Milwaukee 8" Metal Cut Saw, Milwaukee Portaband.
        Thermco and Smith (2) Gas Mixers
        More grinders than hands

Comment

Originally posted by tacmig View Post
          Gas is a bad thing, get rid of it! I use our 252 everyday and I'm going to take a shot at saying it really doesn't matter which machine you are using gas flow is gas flow and with that said it's more of a question on material and settings (amp/volt/ws). But in reality, welding gas is your best friend and most consider it as a "setting" i.e. mixture and FR (flow-rate) to archive a desired weldment on specific material. This can go on for some time and I think most agree that: trying to conserve gas is like turning down your amps/voltage to save electricity, not a good idea if your doing a critical weld on heavy material. So my advice would be to ignore the thought of saving gas and instead play with your gas settings to archive the best weldment you can on any given material. But I will say, I get a long real well @20psi 75/25 on mild steel if this helps?

Good Luck,

TacMig
          CFH not Psi
          Ed Conley
          http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
          MM252
          MM211
          Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
          TA185
          Miller 125c Plasma 120v
          O/A set
          SO 2020 Bender