Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading

I was just wondering when should a person go back to trade school for up grading there skills because things do change and it's good to keep updated on the latest technology.

Does your company have any type of training program? Where I work every couple of years or so we have someone come in and give sorta a refresher class. Also when our LWS have open houses we try to let some of our guys go, to see new products and materials.

Comment

I attand the school of hard knocks!

I see a lot of familiar faces out there!

Comment

i thought about that myself. i came to the conclusion that trade school is not where i want to go. i keep reading about this cool stuff like electron beam, friction stirr, ect. i want to learn about it but, if you aren't in that industry youre basically screwed. i'm just a vessel welder, nothing high teck there. if it doesn't relate to my job, my company isn't going to send me to any seminars

Comment

Upgrading

Originally posted by tsalagi View Post
          i thought about that myself. i came to the conclusion that trade school is not where i want to go. i keep reading about this cool stuff like electron beam, friction stirr, ect. i want to learn about it but, if you aren't in that industry youre basically screwed. i'm just a vessel welder, nothing high teck there. if it doesn't relate to my job, my company isn't going to send me to any seminars
          I'm sure in your line of work there must be changes or technique's that you are not aware of that you should be made aware of so you can do your job better and more cost effcient which will in the long run save time and money.What I said here is just not about this kind of welding but for all kinds of welding.

Comment

Open houses

The LWS that I deal with the most here in town is having a Grand Opening for their new store in June (luckily between race weekends) so I'm taking the afternoon off to check it out. Lincoln & Miller will be there with their travelling road shows. We can watch demos and try out all the new machines. It'll come in real handy for when my wife wins the lottery up here (yeah right) so I can afford any of it....LOL.

Later,

Comment

Darmik,

Upgrading can be done at any time, any age. If you have your A level and want to go furture then you could check into the Gooderham training modules. I believe the two, in combination fit into a program that works towards a degree in 'Welding Technologies' through Kwantlen. The Gooderham training modules cover inspection level training, and cover process specific training as well, and you can pick and choose which modules you want to cover.

Before I moved out here I was looking into upgrading and into the program for the degree, however it wasn't fully developed yet. Since Kwantlen's new facility has opened up, they have gained the title of 'the most avanced trades and technology training facility in Canada'. The Welding Technologies program might be up and running now. The modular training through Gooderham used to be offered through the Welding Institute of Canada, now I believe it is under CWB.

Comment

Upgrading

Hey john thanks for the info I'll check it out this week

And why did you move to alberta?

Comment

Advanced Training

I'm not sure this fits into what you're looking for, but we had an ad in Friday's Daily Herald Tribune from NAIT for a course coming up to get your Welding Inspection Level A. I can't verify the info tonight - my wife already filed the paper in file 'G'

Later,

Comment

I moved to Calgary from Surrey a couple of years ago when my wife was transfered here. I figured I'd try the welding market out here instead of making the misus find a new job. Hit the housing market here just a the right time and was making $5.50 more per hour right from the start.
                    Last edited by JonnyTIG; 05-21-2007, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X
                    Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.