Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Synchrowave 200 electrical Malcraptions

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wire size

In the previous post I mention 6g wire for a max 50A draw. For 60A the wire should be 4g.

When I went back and re-read I noticed this:

"the plug and receptacle that i replaced have the white in the center, and the green, and black on either side.........."
    Obviously the plug is wired incorrectly.

The receptacle is incorrectly wired using a green wire as one of the hots from the double pole breaker. Although confusing, it should not effect the operation regardless of the colors, as long as the wires go to the correct terminals. My guess is he copied the colors from the receptacle when wiring the plug and there lies the problem.

That mistake by the person who originally wired the receptacle could have cost him the welder...

John

Comment

This is a testament to the quality of MILLER welders.

I re-wired the whole thing(plug, recepticle, breaker box) , and found my mistake. I actually read the instructions this time, the MILLER manual says that green goes to ground, and the other two go to "hot". All it was was a wire color problem, and , fortunately, it is resolved. The paperwork with the plug and recepticle said "white in the middle", so thats what I did.

Essentially what I had was a NEW WELDER that had a "hot" ground !!!!
      Fortunately I never moved te working clamp without gloves on.

The Syncrowave is welding beautifully, beyond my expectations, am seeing results like I saw on an inverter based machine last year.

Arcs are leaping out to go to work in DC, and A/C is flawless.

Miller truly makes a good machine, this one had three weeks of welding on
      incorrect wiring, and has survived without a scratch !!!!!!

Thank you MILLER for a great machine!!!!!!!!!!!
      Oh ,and , whats up with the wooden wedge in the transformers??
      Uhh, hello, they make this Phenolic stuff you know!!!!

Just kidding !!!!!!!!

Thank you all for your advice too !!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I had a feeling it would be ok! Glad to hear it all worked out.

John

Comment

Handy560
          I wasn't singling you out, I've just seen this topic come up again and again.

Comment

<snip>
            Thank you MILLER for a great machine!!!!!!!!!!!
            Oh ,and , whats up with the wooden wedge in the transformers??
            Uhh, hello, they make this Phenolic stuff you know!!!!
            <snip>
            I'm very glad to hear that it was only your wall socket wiring. For a while, I was concerned that you might have damaged your welder but I suspect that the builders figured on protection for low voltage conditions.

There is nothing wrong with using wood for spacers in a transformer, by the way. Wood is a superb dielectric. I watched a show on the History Channel the other night about how high voltage utility transformers are made. They use rolls of paper and string to hold them together while they wind the wire and then dump them into a can full of oil to kep them cool. Some of those are at extremely high voltage so paper must be OK.

Whenever I hook up a 220 VAC socket I will use a VOM to check for proper voltage from each line to ground and across the lines. I must be doing something right. I wired my shop for my 220 single phase tools in 1970 and I haven't kicked a breaker yet.

Happy Trails!

Comment

No Worries...

I took no offense. Sometimes I may try to be too detailed. I only worry that someone down the road will read one or two sentences out of context of the whole thread and make a mistake. I would never want any one to get hurt or damage their equipment.

I think its great that we all kinda look over each others shoulder.

I can't tell you how much I have learned in the last several week just reading through all the threads! I can't tell you how annoyed my wife is!

Thanks,

Comment

Originally posted by Handy560 View Post
                I can't tell you how much I have learned in the last several week just reading through all the threads! I can't tell you how annoyed my wife is!

Thanks,
                I hear ya man My Ex used to be the same way now I have a great girl friend and she's a bit of a gear head and doesn't live under the same roof so I have a few thing working in my favor. I to pick up a lot of great insight on this page it's a wealth of knowledge.
                Kerry

Comment

Working...
                X
                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.