Need help selecting a belt sander.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need help selecting a belt sander.

Im about to buy a new belt sander and torn between two different units. I am mostly rounding corners and edges on 1/4" flat plate and deburring tubes after cutting them in the bandsaw or cutoff saw.

#1 Kalamazoo S4S, 1HP. 4x36 belt. Turns 3450 RPM. Made just an hour from my house by a very reputable company. $780.

http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/belt_sanders.asp

#2 Wilton 4210K, 1HP. 6x48 belt, 10 disc. Turns only 1650 RPM. $649. Import.

http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog...4E6197FF702A75

Obviously I get more for my money with the Wilton unit. But Im concerned about the speed of the belt. If its turning only 1/2 as fast, the belt would probably be much more likely to catch and rip, right?

Not sure which way to go here guys. Anybody have either one? Any advice is appreciated.

i have a ellis and all i can say is i love it.i use it all the time.pep at ellis told me it would sharpen a 3/8 rod to a pencil it about 10 seconds and it will.i cant brag it up enough,all i can say is i would highly reccomend you at least give em a look.i also should note im still on the original belt,with about 2 to 3 hrs of grindin time.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ck welding View Post
      Im about to buy a new belt sander and torn between two different units. I am mostly rounding corners and edges on 1/4" flat plate and deburring tubes after cutting them in the bandsaw or cutoff saw.

#1 Kalamazoo S4S, 1HP. 4x36 belt. Turns 3450 RPM. Made just an hour from my house by a very reputable company. $780.

http://www.kalamazooindustries.com/belt_sanders.asp

#2 Wilton 4210K, 1HP. 6x48 belt, 10 disc. Turns only 1650 RPM. $649. Import.

http://www.hechinger.com/web/catalog...4E6197FF702A75

Obviously I get more for my money with the Wilton unit. But Im concerned about the speed of the belt. If its turning only 1/2 as fast, the belt would probably be much more likely to catch and rip, right?

Not sure which way to go here guys. Anybody have either one? Any advice is appreciated.
      I had the Wilton first. Gave it to my son for hobby woodworking and bought the Kalamazoo. Two times the cost that way but I am happy with the Kalamazoo sander.
      Griff

Comment

Originally posted by weld-tek View Post
        i have a ellis and all i can say is i love it.i use it all the time.pep at ellis told me it would sharpen a 3/8 rod to a pencil it about 10 seconds and it will.i cant brag it up enough,all i can say is i would highly reccomend you at least give em a look.i also should note im still on the original belt,with about 2 to 3 hrs of grindin time.
        I have literally hundreds of hours of use with that exact machine - back about 10 years ago when I made money the hard way. I agree, its a nice machine.

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
          I had the Wilton first. Gave it to my son for hobby woodworking and bought the Kalamazoo. Two times the cost that way but I am happy with the Kalamazoo sander.
          Griff
          Not enough power, or what?

Comment

RPMs don't matter as much as SFM (Surface feet per minute). The larger sander probably has larger rollers, which turn faster(SFM) at a given rpm.

My point is that the SFM of the two machines could be equivalent or at least closer than than the RPMs suggest.

-James

Comment

Originally posted by ck welding View Post
              Not enough power, or what?
              That's right. It would bog down when sanding metal. The Kalamazoo does not.

Griff

Comment

Belt Sander

I suggest you take a look at the Bader with 2x72 belt. I have one and a knock off that I built to use the Bader wheels. The knock off has cone pulleys so the belt speed is adjustable. Bader make a variable speed machine also. The Bader has numerous attachments for various purposes.
                www.stephenbader.com
                Bill

Miller Mig 130XP
                Linde VI206 W/Mig
                Miller Econotig
                L Tec Plasma PCM32i
                Pneumtic Forging Hammer 75#
                Mechanical Forging Hammer 65#
                Propane Forge
                Makita Chop Saw
                Bader 72" Belt Grinder
                Bader Knockoff 72" Belt Grinder
                Milwaukee Portoband

Comment

sanding

i was looking at grizzlys 6x48-12 #g1183
                  ive herd a lot of good about it and its $525.00
                  and its 110/220

Comment

Another vote for Ellis, but they are expensive at around a thousand dollars. I order replacement belts custom made from the sandpaper division of Woodworker's Supply and they are resonable. I'm surprised at how long belts last on these machines.

To go with a stationary unit, I have a Bosch variable speed hand held 4x24 sander that I run 36 and 40 grit on. You can turn it down to it's lowest speed and make the belts last and work more effective on metal and it still has enough power to keep from bogging down. I've had that tool for years and it's blended countless welds for me. I order those belts in boxes of 10 from the same place. It cost me about $1.75 per belt.
                    Millermatic 35
                    Miller TB302G
                    Ellis 1800
                    Smith & Victor Torches
                    Optrel Satellite
                    Arcair K4000
                    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
                    Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

I have a 3x21 Ryobi hand held that has done a fine job for me but have always wanted a floor model...that Grizzly does sound good if it can take it. I like the wide belt idea for my work.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                      Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                      MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                      Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                      Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                      Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                      Miller WC-115-A
                      Miller Spectrum 300
                      Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                      Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
                        That's right. It would bog down when sanding metal. The Kalamazoo does not.

Griff
                        Would you mind posting what model Kzoo you have?

Comment

hi , trik tool have a nice choice

http://vansantent.com/site_map.htm

Bobby
                          FABRICATION-CRATION K ZEN

MILLERMATIC 210
                          SPOOLMATE 3035
                          SYNCROWAVE 200
                          HYPERTHERM 360

Comment

Working...
                          X