Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What size generator to power a Passport Plus?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What size generator to power a Passport Plus?

    What size generator would I need to power my Passport Plus on the 220 setting? Thanks.....

  • #2
    Generator size

    I use a 5100 watt/6350 surge that runs my Passprt Plus and Maxstar 150 at max amps without breaking a sweat. It's a Coleman Powermate w/ 10 hp Subaru engine. I had a Powermate 5100 watt but it had a Briggs and Stratton engine that would not start much below 30 degrees. Small engine repair guys I talk to say to stick to Subaru or Honda engines.

    I bought mine for about $500 at Costco. You can pay a lot more, but this sure works for me.

    Comment


    • #3
      thanks.....

      Mike thanks for the reply. I will look into what you have suggested.....

      Dave

      Comment


      • #4
        ? For mikeswelding

        Originally posted by mikeswelding View Post
        I use a 5100 watt/6350 surge that runs my Passprt Plus and Maxstar 150 at max amps without breaking a sweat. It's a Coleman Powermate w/ 10 hp Subaru engine. I had a Powermate 5100 watt but it had a Briggs and Stratton engine that would not start much below 30 degrees. Small engine repair guys I talk to say to stick to Subaru or Honda engines.

        I bought mine for about $500 at Costco. You can pay a lot more, but this sure works for me.
        Would your Powermate 5100 watt with the Briggs and Stratton engine power the welder? If so was the only reason you changed generators due to the cold starting issue? The reason I am asking is that I also have a Powermate with a Briggs that I was going to use as a power source.
        Thanks,
        Nick

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kiwi View Post
          Would your Powermate 5100 watt with the Briggs and Stratton engine power the welder? If so was the only reason you changed generators due to the cold starting issue? The reason I am asking is that I also have a Powermate with a Briggs that I was going to use as a power source.
          Thanks,
          Nick
          My Coleman Powermate 5KW with a Briggs & Stratton 10-hp engine runs any 20-amp machine I plug into it.

          Hank
          ...from the Gadget Garage
          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
          Handler 210 w/DP3035
          TA185TSW
          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by kiwi View Post
            Would your Powermate 5100 watt with the Briggs and Stratton engine power the welder? If so was the only reason you changed generators due to the cold starting issue? The reason I am asking is that I also have a Powermate with a Briggs that I was going to use as a power source.
            Thanks,
            Nick
            It powered the welder as good as the Subaru. Only problem is I live in the mountains in central Idaho and kept the generator in the back of my truck for onsite jobs. I would have to take the Briggs & Stratton unit out of the truck and warm it up in my shop before it would start. I have not had that problem with the Subaru engine.

            I also had a problem with the unit running at full rpm when it was new. It was covered by warranty, but it was a big hassle because the closest authorized repair center was 80 miles away.

            Comment


            • #7
              Generator

              Mike I picked up a 5000 watt/6150 Surge Coleman with 10 HP Subaru motor at Home Depot tonight for $520.00. How loud are the Subaru motors compared to the Briggs?

              Comment


              • #8
                Spectrum Extreme Plasma 375

                Hey can someone help me out with my plasma recommendations for power..... :

                Here is what it says in the manual..... :

                Input Amperage Circuit Requirement

                * A 120 volt, 20 amp (min.)
                - 30 amp recommended or 230 volt, 15 amp (min.) individual branch circuit

                My new Coleman generator is 20 amps on the 220 volt. So will it not run the plasma efficiently on 220? Thanks....

                Comment


                • #9
                  ProWorkz,
                  If it's new, can you take it back? or have your wife take it back? just explaing to them that it doesn't have the requirements you need to run your machine and get a bigger one...
                  hope they exchange it for you! Any 220v welder usually needs at least 30amps. You'll probably keep tripping the breaker....
                  I'm not late...
                  I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Welder

                    Hey Bert, thanks for the reply.

                    My Miller Passport says it only needs a 20 amps 230. I bought the generator just to power my welder if I need to weld out in the field on one of my dump trucks. Some of these guys on this post say there 20 amp 240 plug on their generators run their 220 passport with no issues. Now I am confused.....

                    What do they mean by 230 volt, 15 amp min on a individual branch circuit. Wouldn't the generators 240 volt, 20 amp plug be a individual circuit?

                    * A 120 volt, 20 amp (min.)
                    - 30 amp recommended or 230 volt, 15 amp (min.) individual branch circuit
                    Last edited by ProWorkz; 03-26-2008, 09:14 AM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by ProWorkz View Post
                      Hey Bert, thanks for the reply.

                      My Miller Passport says it only needs a 20 amps 230. I bought the generator just to power my welder if I need to weld out in the field on one of my dump trucks. Some of these guys on this post say there 20 amp 240 plug on their generators run their 220 passport with no issues. Now I am confused.....

                      What do they mean by 230 volt, 15 amp min on a individual branch circuit. Wouldn't the generators 240 volt, 20 amp plug be a individual circuit?

                      * A 120 volt, 20 amp (min.)
                      - 30 amp recommended or 230 volt, 15 amp (min.) individual branch circuit
                      ProWorkz,
                      my bad... I guess it's that VxA=WATTS thing...More voltage you have means less amps you need...By your 1st post, if the manual says input power needs 230v at 15amps, and your generator gives 20amps on 220v, then you should be fine...sorry I read too fast last night
                      I'm not late...
                      I'm just on Hawaiian Time

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X