Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need your ideas

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need your ideas

Here is the puzzle: I have 10 frames 17'6" L 5'6" H 5'6" W and they weigh 3500lbs that I need to lift 13' and weld to embed plates in the ceiling. Placing them within 1/4" of the grid lines as well account for plumb. It's on the second floor and I cant get a fork lift to the site.
    How would you lift them?

TJ

lifting

use anchor bolts at the ceiling then use pulleys to lift each corner tie frames up to ceiling "TACK OR WELD" u have it

Comment

Assuming you have a hard floor you might be able to use a manual lift. We used to rent them to put up large signs. Looks like a cross between a plallet jack and a forklift. A hand crank raises the boom. I've seen riggers use them on several jobs moving heavy equip up to mezzanines. You would probably need 2 one on each end to handle the load and I'd still tie in to the ceiling pulleys to help steady it. A small sissors lift might also work.

****, Now that I think about it if I had to do it I'd probably talk to the guy that does the rigging for work medical equipment that I help install part time. They've got all the needed toys and let them worry about how to get it where you want it. Pass the costs along to the customer if you haven't already given the cust. a quote. They also carry the insurance if sh*t goes really wrong.

Comment

Lift jacks and cribbing. You can meet all our tolerances easily that way.

Comment

Hello, The equipment DSW is referring to is a Genie Lift. I have two of the 12 ft. models that I use to set beams and trusses with. I can flip the forks over and get 13.5 ft from them. They make several sizes with diff. load ratings, and as said above can be rented at rental yards. Good Luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Lasgambler View Post
            Hello, The equipment DSW is referring to is a Genie Lift. I have two of the 12 ft. models that I use to set beams and trusses with. I can flip the forks over and get 13.5 ft from them. They make several sizes with diff. load ratings, and as said above can be rented at rental yards. Good Luck.
            We have a couple Genie lifts at the plant, they have really saved us a few times when we couldn't get a forklift in

Comment

Genie Lift's don't have the capacity, even the contractor model has a load limit of 650#. he'd need 5, six to to be safe.
              Last edited by PUMPKINHEAD; 03-04-2008, 06:36 AM.

Comment

Keep it simple stupid.

Do not preassemble the frames. Assemble the frames in place. Install one piece at a time off of scaffolding! If you already welded them together, you may have to cut them apart. Always have a plan! Remember the "6 P's".
                Proper Planing Prevents Piss Poor Production!

Comment

Is each frame 3500 lbs or the total of ten frames equal 3500 lbs?

Comment

how to lift

bent knees straight back and 2 secretaries from the front office TEE HEE

Comment

http://www.drywallhoists.com/index/Drywall_Panel_Lift.ASP

all joking aside now...
                      try this site and see what you think

http://www.drywallhoists.com/index/D...Panel_Lift.ASP

Comment

yeah TJ, get 24 drywall hoists.

Comment

Working...
                        X
                        Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.