Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Drop Deck Trailer

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drop Deck Trailer

Thought you folks might like to see a trailer I designed and built to load motorcycles and other heavy items from a flat position to a raised over the road position.

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...king_projects/

A simple hand winch and cables operate the whole mechanism. A set of 1/2" locking pins hold the whole trailer together while moving over the road. This trailer went to California and back........

Very nice, how is the pivot point made in the back ? I would be concerned about too much wobble where the bed of the trailer fits between the frame or isn't this an issue ? I'm looking to build a motorcycle trailer for my bike but I think Im going build it low and just tailgate it on. Eventually I want to build one to pull behind the bike as well.

Comment

trailer

thats one fine piece of work for a trailer,well done

Comment

When the drop part mates with the main frame, it all locks together with a series of pins with clevis pins. Solid as a rock when all locked together.

The rear pivot point is hinged on 1" pivots. Once the trailer is in the travel position, the pivot point handles no weight.

The best part about it is the comments I get when folks see it in use!

Comment

Drop Deck Trailer

Great job

should put a patten on that one

Comment

that is way cool. you gotta get us better pic's of how it works, so we can all steel your idea and make one for our selves. i would love one like that for my quads.

Comment

AWESOME JOB...Good IDEA!!

Originally posted by rbertalotto View Post
              Thought you folks might like to see a trailer I designed and built to load motorcycles and other heavy items from a flat position to a raised over the road position.

http://public.fotki.com/Rbertalotto/...king_projects/

A simple hand winch and cables operate the whole mechanism. A set of 1/2" locking pins hold the whole trailer together while moving over the road. This trailer went to California and back........

Comment

Novel idea my friend I would also like to see a pic from the rear of the trailer, if you have one. Very well thought out I'm impressed
                Last edited by BDJ; 03-02-2008, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Very impressive, thats one of the most unique trailers I've seen.

Comment

Originally posted by BDJ View Post
                    Novel idea my friend I would also like to see a pic from the rear of the trailer, if you have one. Very well thought out I'm impressed
                    check out his link to pics in the original post

Comment

Here's a couple of rear shots.......

BTW, the best use of this trailer is moving machine tools that don't like to go up a ramp easily. I've moved milling machines and metal lathes with this trailer. Up to 2000 pounds...........real nice loading at ground level. The next one I build will have a simple plate of steel or aluminum for the deck. In this way it will be dead flat to load. This trailer has a deck with structure that is 4" high......

In the rear view pictures you'll see the spare tire. That is a counter weight to get the rear of the trailer down when it's empty. For a winch I used a side winder type so I can have total control of the lowering process. This type of winch is very easy to control with a load on it. And if you let the handle go it simply stops. You need to manually unwind it. I actually had an electric winch on it at first, but it was more bother than it was worth.

I'd take more pictures, but a neighbor of mine moving out to Californi bought it from me last summer and used it to move his bikes and outdoor furniture from Massachusetts to LA..........I got the parts to build another one this spring......

Thanks

Comment

I like the trailer, good idea

Comment

do you have a pic or drawing of the underside,and the pivoting action ?
                          i could use one of those

Comment

I'll draw a plan and post in in a day or two...........

Comment

cool................

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.