No announcement yet.

Stainless Countertops

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Phax, what do you mean by "pickling" it? And as far as "welding the bottom seam and fusing the top", I thought the sheets were butted up (edge of each sheet) together? so there wouldn't be much of a seam, eh???
    thanks muchos,
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

SS machine

Best machine for onsite or mobile on SS IMHO is the Passport. It is light, runs on 110 or 220 AND has a setting especially for SS. I have done numerous onsite repair jobs in restaurants and it works great. Also, tri-mix gas is recommended for SS.

Comment

the passport would be grate is ya have the $$ and or the work load to support it. good excuse to give the wife to get a new toy. i was supposed to do some SS restaurant work for the wifes ex-boss,( that put the seal on getting the TA-185, it was building carts at home) but she quit the job and i lost my connect.
        the passport + allows for aluminum (not just a spool gun but a different arc as well) well worth the little extra $ to go +
        pickling is a chemical wash.
        thanks for the help
        ......or..........
        hope i helped
        sigpic
        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
        JAMES

Comment

mikeswelding,
          thanks, do you know the best tr-mix to use? I talked to a guy that had a friend using a "special" tr-mix for doing aluminum sched 40 truck racks. Racks were beautuful, and he said he didn't know what it was, but it was a "special" tri-mix his friend used other than 100% argon or 10% helium/90% argon that most people use for aluminum.
          Fun, do you know what the pickling recipe is?
          thanks guys,
          bert
          I'm not late...

Comment

Fun, do you know what the pickling recipe is?
            little dill weed, some vinegar, and..........wait you meant for SS.
            naaa sorry been years sense i worked with plaiting metals, and the old noodle is full of too much useless info to dig out the good stuff.
            thanks for the help
            ......or..........
            hope i helped
            sigpic
            feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
            summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
            JAMES

Comment

A friend of mine uses "Stargon" from Praxair for the stainless that he uses in his sculptures. He dosen't know what the mix is though. You could google it though.

Comment

Pickling

James,
                LOL, sounds like Cliff on Cheers....my mind is like that too! Whish I was like
                Dumbledor in Harry Potte and put/save my useless thoughts in the pensive
                I'm not late...

Comment

tenfingers

thanks for the tip, I'll look it up later
                  I'm not late...

Comment

I have a little Lincoln SP100 w/.023 SS and tri mix that works quite well for the little SS I do.

Comment

The Stargon SS Shielding Gas, a mixture of argon, carbon dioxide, and nitrogen, is designed for joining a variety of stainless steels under the most ...
                      findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_hb4400/is_200306/ai_n15309992 - 29k
                      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

thanks Bob
                        I'm not late...

Comment

Almost every place has 240V or 208V

I have a secret weapon... I made a welder plug with 2 25' 12ga extension cords going into it. Both neutrals are tied to the center leg, and each hot is tied to the outter legs. The other ends of the cords have standard 120V male plugs. Plug it in one outlet and plug it into another outlet on a different circuit. If it's a residential or commercial 120/240 1 phase service, 50% of the time, there will be 240V across the two hots. If not, try another plug on another circuit.

If it's commercial 120/208 3 phase, 67% of the time, you will get 208V. If not, try another plug.

You will get enough power to run a good size welder or plasma cutter.

80% of failures are from 20% of causes
                          Never compromise your principles today in the name of furthering them in the future.
                          "All I ever wanted was an honest week's pay for an honest day's work." -Sgt. Bilko
                          "We are generally better persuaded by reasons we discover ourselves than by those given to us by others." -Pascal
                          "Since we cannot know all that there is to be known about anything, we ought to know a little about everything." -Pascal

Comment

How safe is the secret weapon? I guess it depends what exactly you plug into and that the equipment is auto line sensing...
                            John

Thunderbolt AC/DC
                            MM 175
                            Maxstar 150 STL
                            Blue Star 185 DX
                            Spectrum 375

Comment

Bodybagger,
                              thanks for your tip, I REALLY appreciate it, but you just scared the SH*T OUT OF ME
                              I think I'll stick to the "regular" pigtails
                              bert
                              I'm not late...

Comment

fuse tig the seams. Done tons of stainless work and all I have ever done is fuse it. My old shop had a 12ft wide hydrolic brake and we bent them up in house to avoid having to use seam sealer. You do not want to use that in this application. It will collect food and crap and defeet the purpose of having S.S. countertops.

Get the stuff bent up then do the welding and finishing yourself.

Comment

Working...
                                X