X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Safety + Stainless

1) My left hand, with welding shirt and glove on

2) Left arm n shirt, no glove, watch on

3) Back of watch is stainless steel, at the end of the pencil is a splatter that is about the size of the head of a straight pin and it is WELDED tot he back of the watch!!!

4-5) different views of weld.

How did a droplet of weld from my MIG get past my shirt and inside my guantlet glove and behind my watch???? Dunno, but it sure did and it was hot enought to not only burn me but weld itself to the back of the watch.
    Attached Files
    Don
    Scottsdale, AZ
    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
    Hypertherm PowerMax30
    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
    10 Angle Grinders 8, 4 1/2" -2, 7"
    DeWalt Chop Saw
    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
    12 Ton Shop Press
    Optrel Satellite Helmet
    Miller Elite Helmet
    sigpic

thats an odd one .
    ...but you know how they get past safety gear and into odd places

my daddy always said i was IRONHEADED....
    feel free to P/M me

Comment

Originally posted by welderman23 View Post
      thats an odd one .
      ...but you know how they get past safety gear and into odd places

Yes and that is really the point I am making...When I was in Vietnam I got a new guy assigned to me. After a few nights we were out on a point on the perimeter keeping watch. He asked me "what is the wizzing sound like a bumble bee I hear?" I said it common we are getting a few shots at us from way out past the rice paddies in front.

I could see the whites of his eyes suddenly and he said "shouldn't you be ducking?" I said its not the ones you hear that kill you and by the time you have heard it whiz by its long gone.

And that is sorta the way we need to think about safety. It frequently not the obvious that gets in trouble.
      Don
      Scottsdale, AZ
      www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
      Hypertherm PowerMax30
      Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
      Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
      Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
      DeWalt Chop Saw
      Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
      12 Ton Shop Press
      Optrel Satellite Helmet
      Miller Elite Helmet
      sigpic

Comment

No matter how careful you are and how much protection you use, accidents still happen. I am walking proof.
        Dynasty 200DX, first generation
        Makita 5" grinder
        Makita 14" abrasive saw
        IR SS5L compressor
        Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
        and a wish list a mile long

Comment

Good camera too!!!!!
          SYNCROWAVE 200
          Atlas 618 lathe (vintage 1960) reconditioned DC
          Sioux 3/8 Pneumatic Reversible Drill
          Makita Everything else
          2400 square feet of Sanford and Son lookin shop space
          "Once the spoon flys, putting the pin back in won't solve anything"
          USA 15T, 15V

www.myspace.com/blackbird455

http://i100.photobucket.com/albums/m...5/DSC00356.jpg two cans, one welder

Comment

Slightly Off Topic, but Thank You for photographing, and documenting, proper welding equipment - ie - Long sleeved denim shirt and gauntlet style gloves.

Many of our younger members could use these images to motivate them to practice safety, and maybe not follow in the path of all the clowns off TV that do not.

Just my $.02
            Later,
            Jason

Professional Spark Generator by Trade.

Comment

I would guess if they didn't burn thru the shirt then it went thru the cuff split.
              I like my leathers but I usually gotta get a few burns like that before I drag 'em out.
              Thanks for sharing your vietnam story BTW and thanks for putting yourself in harms way

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by Blackbird455 View Post
                Good camera too!!!!!
                Thank you...It is a camera fone! 5 MegaPixel with Carl Ziess lens, fully featured. Oh and yes its a fone too...Nokia N95

Follow up: As all can see there is a weldment on the inside of my watch and of course a burn on the back of my hand. Upon closer examination of the weld, this newbie to the welding world finds that indeed this is one of his BEST looking welds. Further inspection concludes that not only does it look good but there in no porosity, undercutting and I have excellent penetration. In fact I had to GRIND it off

This has led me to the development of a new technique in welding called Splatter welding. You take the piece to be welded and lay it in an out of the way place and then just weld any piece of metal. The splatter will magically be welded.

One day while in class in Army muntions I was at the station where the Light Anti-tank Weapons System (LAWS) was being taught. The instructor showed its operation and prepped for fire. He stated the the projectile has a killing radius of approx 35 meters.

He then instructed the group the clear for firing and to get slightly back and to his sides. The he stated the killing radius for the back blast was up to 100 meters.

I raised my hand and the Sgt said yes, you have a question? I said it seems to me we are shooting it in the wrong direction! Everybody laughed at that.

Thanks for all of your comments.
                Don
                Scottsdale, AZ
                www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                Hypertherm PowerMax30
                Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                DeWalt Chop Saw
                Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                12 Ton Shop Press
                Optrel Satellite Helmet
                Miller Elite Helmet
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for telling that it was your camera phone and the model. Pics were EXCELLENT!!!! How much did you pay for it? I'm looking for a camera phone, mines is too crappy, after I paid big bucks for it 2 years ago!!!
                  bert
                  I'm not late...
                  I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                    Thanks for telling that it was your camera phone and the model. Pics were EXCELLENT!!!! How much did you pay for it? I'm looking for a camera phone, mines is too crappy, after I paid big bucks for it 2 years ago!!!
                    bert
                    Bert,
                    My wife gave it to me for Christmas this year. I had a Nokia N80 with the 3 MP camera and was very pleased with it. The N95 8GB has raised the bar for cameras and fones. The fone has a FM radio, Bluetooth, WiFi, plays music and almost every feature you can think of. And it that is not enough, it has a secondary video camera for fon conferencing.

I use it extensively in my website and just do not want the headache and hassle of hauling a fone and a camera with me.

There are 2 models the N95 8GB and the N95. Mine is the N95 8GB, meaning it has 8 Gigabytes internal memory. Meaning you can take over 1000 pics of the type I posted here and I think it will hold as many songs.

My wife got it on sale for Christmas at www.macmall.com for I am thinking around $570.

ATT&T/Singluar is the carrier and they sell it. That said I RECOMMEND you buy it offline "unlocked" unless you are a buy and keep it till it becomes the equal of a tin can and a string technically. My wife and I are both engineers and we do LOVE our gadgets so we buy often in this space. My wife is from Europe and her family is there so we have stuff that works outside of the US. The N95 8GB is a "global smartfone".

For what the N95 offers and does it is a excellent value and if your criteria is a global fone, Very high quality fotos on a feature rich platform then the N95 8GB is worth your investment.

http://www.nokiausa.com/link?cid=PLAIN_TEXT_358159

Let me know what you do.
                    Don
                    Scottsdale, AZ
                    www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                    Hypertherm PowerMax30
                    Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                    Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                    Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                    DeWalt Chop Saw
                    Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                    12 Ton Shop Press
                    Optrel Satellite Helmet
                    Miller Elite Helmet
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post
                      Slightly Off Topic, but Thank You for photographing, and documenting, proper welding equipment - ie - Long sleeved denim shirt and gauntlet style gloves.

Many of our younger members could use these images to motivate them to practice safety, and maybe not follow in the path of all the clowns off TV that do not.

Just my $.02
                      Are you referring to that Chopper show on TV? Sometimes they don't even use a helmet when using their tig, what a good message to send out to some folks who think that "Hey they don't use one at the chopper shop on TV, why should I".

At the beginning of each show that Norm Abrams has for woodworking, he emphasis's safety such as eyes, hearing and impact. This testosterone heavy chopper show should really do the same, but then they won't be coooooooool!

Comment

Originally posted by Black Wolf View Post

Just my $.02
                        never really thought of that...

That said: I hereby authorize anyone that has access to the pictures and write-up to use them at their discretion in the proper context of welding safety. You may use the information free of charge.
                        Don Pryor
                        Scottsdale AZ
                        Don
                        Scottsdale, AZ
                        www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                        Hypertherm PowerMax30
                        Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                        Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                        Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                        DeWalt Chop Saw
                        Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                        12 Ton Shop Press
                        Optrel Satellite Helmet
                        Miller Elite Helmet
                        sigpic

Comment

safty first

speaking of safety clothing.
                          i have been using one of the leather sleeved cotton shirt/jackets for about 6 years not (fist pic).
                          i recently got one of millers pig skin top and sleeve with cotton bottom 1/2.(pic 3) added a pig skin bib( pic 3) to it so its all black in the front.
                          the difference is unreal. the pig skin is so much more comfortable.
                          i highly recommend it. the sleeves bend nice and the cuff is small enough to allow the gloves cuff to go over it easily.
                          makes it much nicer to weld in and makes me want to put it on. if ya get a chance, get one.
                          i'm a firm believer in the fact that safety gear is more readily used if it fits well and dose not obstruct your work. this jacket fits that bill. get one and you will use it.
                          Attached Files
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                            speaking of safety clothing.
                            i have been using one of the leather sleeved cotton shirt/jackets for about 6 years not (fist pic).
                            i recently got one of millers pig skin top and sleeve with cotton bottom 1/2.(pic 3) added a pig skin bib( pic 3) to it so its all black in the front.
                            the difference is unreal. the pig skin is so much more comfortable.
                            i highly recommend it. the sleeves bend nice and the cuff is small enough to allow the gloves cuff to go over it easily.
                            makes it much nicer to weld in and makes me want to put it on. if ya get a chance, get one.
                            i'm a firm believer in the fact that safety gear is more readily used if it fits well and dose not obstruct your work. this jacket fits that bill. get one and you will use it.
                            James you bring up a solid point, I also saw where you live...

Neighbor stopped the other day and rolled down the window on the car. I walked down to the car and they asked. Don, I see you out here in the shop everyday and you are half naked (jean shorts and t-shirt unless I am welding) don't you realize it the middle of winter and 55 degrees outside today. I said it may be to you out there but in my garage it is over 80 degrees as the sun shines straight in.

Today is Feb 28 and I just got off the fone with someone in Penn and they asked me what is the temp there in Scottsdale AZ. I said its a bit cooler today, it only 81, it was 84 yesterday.

We had over 100 days last year with temps over 100 and 30+ days temps over 110.

You can't weld real long I will tell you that.
                            Don
                            Scottsdale, AZ
                            www.savagesun4x4.com

MillerMatic 211 AS
                            Hypertherm PowerMax30
                            Bernard 300 Amp Q Gun
                            Bernard 200 Amp Q Gun
                            Milwaukee Band-saw/stand
                            DeWalt Chop Saw
                            Craftsman Twin-Blade Saw
                            12 Ton Shop Press
                            Optrel Satellite Helmet
                            Miller Elite Helmet
                            sigpic

Comment

Don,
                              thanks for the info, I guess I'll stick to using my camera My phone now cost me around $350 couple years ago (Samsung from Sprint). Not looking to spend that again. I'll wait till next year when your phone will be $100
                              thanks again,
                              bert
                              I'm not late...
                              I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Working...
                              X