Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

  • If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Miller guys come up with a wireless foot pedal for the tig welder???

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Miller guys come up with a wireless foot pedal for the tig welder???

    I've been thinking about this a while. Miller needs to come out with a wireless foot pedal for there tig welding machines. It's such a pain in the rear when you have I don't know how many electrical cords all tangled up around you and your torch but for whatever reason for me it is the dam foot pedal that bugs me. Seems like I'm always curled up like a pretzl in some kinda vessel or welding pipe on a vessel and this dang foot pedal is tangled up everywhere. so yeah come on guys come up with a wireless remote foot pedal I think other will agree it would be nice. I know some of you may say oh use a hand control well I have they s*ck I don't like them

    Chris

  • #2
    Well,

    Looking at the schematics of my foot control.................

    It would take about $250 worth of parts from Parallax(bluetooth Rx & Tx stuff,and a processor or two to run it all)..........
    And finding someone on Parallax.com's message board to get this done, which might be costly also.
    Dont know for sure if that'll work in the presence of an arc either.

    Actually I would prefer a helmet that reads your thoughts and shapes the arc and controls the amps and all that good stuff, but I think that one is still a few years off tho.

    Comment


    • #3
      Considering the HF arc starter is enough EMI to trip arc fault GFI outlets within 8ft, I'm thinking radio controlled amptrols have a distinct operating problem.

      I used to think it was due to the circuits the welder shared with the sub panel, but today I tripped a pair of them on the other wall which isn't fed by anything remotely tied to the welder sub panel. Then again, maybe Leviton made them too sensitive.

      Comment


      • #4
        Listen up Miller, This man makes a good point. How hard could it be? I'd pay up in a second to not have to wrestle with another cord. Positioning my foot control with a wire attached to it is a pain. A remote foot control that you could attach to your boot would be awesome. Make it as small as a foot and put some resistance in it to where you really had to apply some pressure to it it to change the heat. Sounds like a good idea to me. Adam

        Comment


        • #5
          Some of us have been waiting for the new wireless MIG gun for a couple years now,,, I think Miller really needs to get on the ball here.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by calweld View Post
            Some of us have been waiting for the new wireless MIG gun for a couple years now,,, I think Miller really needs to get on the ball here.
            Yep, it's just a matter of time. I have been doing some experimentation on my own and have had some success in doing some mig fusion welds.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by calweld View Post
              Some of us have been waiting for the new wireless MIG gun for a couple years now,,, I think Miller really needs to get on the ball here.
              Hasbro and Mattel have the gun in the works.

              Comment


              • #8
                i watched a guy make a wireless mig welder before

                he set down his stinger and moved the steel on the saw horses and PRESTO a wireless mig welder

                i also have a an idea for a wireless welder interchangeable for mig,stick,and tig.....
                you take a gas generator,put backpack straps on it bolt your welder to it pull on the string and start welding
                Last edited by welderman23; 02-26-2008, 09:40 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Hey if we are going wireless make sure they make wireless adapters for SMAW as well. The pipeline guys would go nuts for them!
                  As for wireless MIG, I already made one of those a little while back. It happened accidentally, like all good inventions. I was welding on a custom job in the shop and had it supported with pipe jacks. The project was eight feet tall and I needed to give it a little push up right in the middle so I placed another pipe jack on top of my welding table. As soon as I was done I released the pipe jack and subsequently knocked it off the table, right on top of my MIG lead, severing it. Viola! instant wireless MIG. The amperage seems a little low now, but that can be worked out.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by walker View Post
                    Hey if we are going wireless make sure they make wireless adapters for SMAW as well. The pipeline guys would go nuts for them!
                    As for wireless MIG, I already made one of those a little while back. It happened accidentally, like all good inventions. I was welding on a custom job in the shop and had it supported with pipe jacks. The project was eight feet tall and I needed to give it a little push up right in the middle so I placed another pipe jack on top of my welding table. As soon as I was done I released the pipe jack and subsequently knocked it off the table, right on top of my MIG lead, severing it. Viola! instant wireless MIG. The amperage seems a little low now, but that can be worked out.
                    all you need to do is add another capacitor

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      If your going to go to all the trouble to make wireless amperage control, make it Voice activated, small microfone in your helmet, up 10 down 5 etc. , im sure it wouldn't be that hard to do with todays technoligy!!!
                      Last edited by Pipedream; 02-26-2008, 10:52 AM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        whats the part no. for the little finger amperage control???

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Pipedream View Post
                          If your going to go to all the trouble to make wireless amperage control, make it Voice activated, small microfone in your helmet, up 10 down 5 etc. , im sure it wouldn't be that hard to do with todays technoligy!!!
                          As long as it knows to ingore "other" vocal emmisions that can occure while one is welding.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Uhh Hello Miller,

                            There seems to be a demand for this thing. You could take a steel toed boot , integrate a tensometer in the sole, use some sort of transmitter built into the heel/calf area (using a freq that is not effected by hf or arc presence) and BAM!!! wireless foot control. Oh,and,make it for under $250

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Pipedream View Post
                              If your going to go to all the trouble to make wireless amperage control, make it Voice activated, small microfone in your helmet, up 10 down 5 etc. , im sure it wouldn't be that hard to do with todays technoligy!!!
                              There already is wireless vooice controlled remote for pipeliners, Already wireless remotes, won't be a wireless tig remote because of the HF interference..
                              Last edited by cruizer; 02-27-2008, 09:12 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.