Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Small Ring Roller

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Small Ring Roller

I needed a roller to roll my O Scale RR Track for the bridges i sell and since i can't buy one off the shelf i had to make it. Its only 5" tall but you can get the idea and make one bigger for a ring roller. Here are some pics of the roller and the parts. I made every part except the 1/4" lock nuts and the handle that was from a metal dumpster. It took me about 15 hours to design and build...Bob
    http://new.photos.yahoo.com/aametalm...60762401121042
    Attached Files

Nice job.

(mind if I copy it?)
    Tom

Comment

Copy away, i share ...Bob

Comment

looks great. you lathed out all the parts too. man it must be nice to have a lath, the uses it could be put to must be way up there.

Comment

Great job on your roller.Sometimes it's nice to have the exact machine you need for the job. Pride of building it yourself is very gratifying & you get reminded of that every time you use it. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

wow, very impressive!!

Comment

wow, must be nice to have a lathe Why didn't you make your own nuts
              too cool!!!

Comment

I have 4 lathes, 2 SB 10 inchers and 2 Craftsman 6 inchers. I could have made the nuts but i wanted the nylon lockers, i was going to dimple some nuts to lock them but i didn't want to screw up the bolt threads...Bob

Comment

Ring roller

Nice job on your roller. I have a larger version and have considered making a small one like yours for doing small parts and pieces. The big one is nice but is a pain when trying to make small items. Dave

Comment

nifty! ,....

Comment

Bob,
                      knowing you, I figured you could make nylon locking nuts. You'd probably make a jig, have a stell center, and pour melted plastic in 'em. But then you'd waste 1/2 hour doing all that

Comment

Originally posted by Bert View Post
                        Bob,
                        knowing you, I figured you could make nylon locking nuts. You'd probably make a jig, have a stell center, and pour melted plastic in 'em. But then you'd waste 1/2 hour doing all that
                        Ya Burt i could have made them, esp on a rainy day like today, instead i flopped on the couch watching Another 48 Hrs for about the 900th time.

I ran 80' of track thru it a few times each piece and they rolled perfect even in stainless steel. I also ordered a lovejoy coupling to put my motor/gearbox setup from my big roller to the small one to ease the pain of the blister on my right hand from wheeling ....Bob

Comment

SHOWOFF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

nice job!

Comment

Thanks guys, I will post some pics when i get it motorized ...Bob

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.