Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with welder extension cord?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm glad you got the 6 ga, its best. It is rated for 50 amps ,But rememeber your welder will never draw 50 amps unless you weld with it turned all the way up, and the 20% duty cycle is probably with it turned up all the way as well. But safer [bigger] is better especially considering how long it is.

have fun with your welder

Comment

Originally posted by MJDamiani View Post
      Please go out and get a copy of the NEC (National Electrical Code) . 50 Amp. circuits use 6 ga. wire.

I No Longer give electrical advise, as I let my license expire in 1996. Use whatever you like, but when it get's HOT look for a FIRE.

Wishing you the best of luck,

Mike
      You should know better if you're going to say something like this. First of all, the NEC is not for non-electricians. It takes experience in the trade just to understand the Code and to know all the many places throughout the Code which apply to individual situations. This is further evidenced by the fact that you (who proclaim to have been in the trade) just misused it.

I do not recommend an NEC for the DIY. Get a copy of Wiring Simplified from Home Depot. If it's not in there, hire an electrician. Just remember that many electricans wired tract homes with Romex their entire life and should disqualify themselves from advice in some areas.

There are many times when a 50A circuit requires #6. There are plenty of times when a 50A circuit requires #8. And there are a few times when a 50A circuit can require as small as #12. And I can find every one of those in the Code. Apparently, some electricians cannot.

By the way, recommending overkill still counts as giving electrical advice.

Comment

Your right Mac I have seen the code book. I know wire size depends on several things, length and volts as well as amps and conductor material.[copper/aluminum]

http://www.csgnetwork.com/wiresizecalc.html

this calculator seems cool

Comment

Originally posted by HMW View Post
          ...But rememeber your welder will never draw 50 amps unless you weld with it turned all the way up, and the 20% duty cycle is probably with it turned up all the way as well. ...
          Close enough. Its 20% rating is at its 150A (DC) output (and this is where it will draw 45.5A), but the duty cycle be even less when you crank it up to its maximum 160A output. Similarly for its AC outputs.
          Last edited by MAC702; 05-09-2007, 11:54 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I was thinking that he would use it in the 90-120 amp dc range most of the time so he wouldn't draw as much as the rated input of 47.5 Amps at 150 amps dc. I don't know how much less it would draw, you could probably figure that out though.

Comment

I agree completely. I also corrected the input amperage for a 240V input, instead of the 230V that the machine is rated with, which lowers the amperage another little bit.

Comment

Extension Cord

I have a 75' extension from 6/3. Its the underground type used for burying etc. I have used it on my Thunderbolt 225, miller matic 251 without any problems at all.. Its heavy but still kinda flexable.

Comment

Originally posted by Cowbungus View Post
                  I have a 75' extension from 6/3. Its the underground type used for burying etc. I have used it on my Thunderbolt 225, miller matic 251 without any problems at all.. Its heavy but still kinda flexable.
                  UF cable is also illegal and unsafe for extension cords. Don't recommend it to others.

Comment

Working...
                  X
                  Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.