Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

The forum is currently undergoing maintenance and is in a 'read-only' mode for the time being. Sorry for the inconvenience.

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

What method to cut this off?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A word to the wise, don't buy the grinder on sale at Harbor Frieght! I was in a jam and needed one fast. I bought it and it lasted two hours before the internal parts started on fire. I returned it for another one, and this one lasted a whopping 45 minutes before it too started on fire! There was plenty of snow on the ground at the time, so no big deal, but it could have been! I bought a 10 amp Dewalt and have put it through the paces for 2 months and it is great! I'm not saying spend $100 bucks on a grinder, but for anyone looking for one, get a quality product and you'll be much happier!

Comment

cut off wheels
      i get my wheels at NAPA i get 8 wheels for 5.00 1/8 or 1/16 they seam to last the longst

Comment

Bareback Jack
        the grinders at HF are kind of a crap shoot, some have had great luck with them, others same as you. i have 2 B&D's and 2 portacables. the portacables are by far a much better option. i have herd the B&D quantum (green one) is a good choice and at $45 not too hard on the wallet but i have not tryed them yet, probly get one when my next B&D dies, it lost a front screw just the other day so its on its way out, they changed the casing collor so i cant swop them out at wally world any more.

Comment

I agree, the cut-off wheel will work best but you need to take your time and be careful not to cut into the pipe underneath. Let us know how it worked.

Comment

Fun4now, I've got two of those B&D 4.5's (black and grey) and I like them. Dad found them on sale at Ace for $20 bucks!!! He bought one and I tried it, liked it, so we bought another one because we go through them so quickly. For $20 they are great. Not as good as the Dewalt I've got now, but for $20 bucks.....

Comment

Yep what they all said

Comment

There are several good brands of grinding wheels and cut of wheels. I have found your wasting money by buying "cheap" ones. They wont last very long. I buy Walter brand from my local welding supplier and they last very good. Kinda pricey but last twice as long as a cheap one. I have used Norton and Dewalt they seem Ok too. They also make 2" and 3" cut off wheels for your air die grinder with a 3/8" hole in the center. same as air tool made to cut off exhaust. I like those alot. They will fit in a tight place better.

Comment

cut off wheels

Any welding supply store that you go into will have cutting wheels, commonly refererd to as zip discs. There are stianless/aluminum, aluminum and steel. From 4 1/2 to 7 inch to choose from. I like the stainless/aluminium as they are good for all material and seem to last a bit longer, made by Walter.

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
                    I have four of the 4 1/2" grinders, but never used a cut off wheel in one
                    Cut off wheels are the best thing since sliced bread was invented...

Comment

I guess I must be learining something! After I read the first post, I thought
                      CUTTING DISK !!! Anyway, I use mine a lot. I have a sears, makita and bosch. Just remember ot flip the bottom washer over, as the cutting disk is thinner, so when you tighten it, it doesn't spin

Comment

I got a chance this past week to cut off the collars. I picked up a hand full of SAIT cut off wheels at my LWS for my 4 1/2" DeWalt grinder. I took the guard off, used a 6"x1/16" size, flipped the washer/nut over to get it tight and went at it. I wedged in a couple of flat head screw drivers to lift the collars up. I nicked the pipe in a couple of places, but not very bad. Anyway, it took me maybe 10 minutes to cut five of them off ( a total of 10 cuts - two on each side).

Thanks for all the feedback as I now have a new cutting method in my toolbox!

Comment

glad to here you got the job done and found a new tool. not so happy to here your first exersize was to remove the guard and install an over sized blade.. the 4.5" blades will do just as well at cutting and would alow you to keep the guard on. i know the guard can seem like a real pain but you realy need some thing there to kep you hand from sliding down the tool into the blade. i took off my guards and cut them back a bit to expose more blade but still leave some guard there to protect my tool hand. some thing yoiu might consider.

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
                            ...I took the guard off, used a 6"x1/16" size, flipped the washer/nut over to get it tight and went at it....
                            Glad to hear you got lucky.

Comment

I have a pretty decent sized scar from a cut of wheel that exploded on me a couple of weeks ago. And had the gaurd on too. It tore right through my glove and stuck into my hand. Cut-off wheels are very fradgel and are easy to bend when cutting. If you bend them to much then they'll turn to shrapnel on you. I always make it a point to treat them with a certian extra level of respect in regards to saftey precautions do to there lack of strength

Comment

Glad it worked for you but If you can put the guard on. I also have a pretty nice scar, and half of my thumb is numb [10 stitches] from a grinder and it had the guard on. I was using a grinder to open up the slot on a steering arm on a tractor and holding the part with my left hand. The grinder grabbed the piece and went right up my left thumb. Of course I wasnt wearing gloves [stupid] as most mechanics dont, I do now though when grinding.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.