Pics of first Aluminum job

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pics of first Aluminum job

Did my first official aluminum job the other day. Putting up pics for feedback. Don't have much tig aluminum experience so let me have it. I have a Dynasty 350 and ran at 200 amps, 3/32 2%, 1/8" 5356. THe first weld is on the outside and no obstruction. The second pic was a female dog to get into and get a good weld. I ended up pullling the tungsten out about an inch past the cup to half *** get into the location. The melat was thick and I "V'ed" the complet weld out and pre- heated using Johnnytig's method. For those who might not know, heat the aluminum with pure acetelene to cover with black soot then neutralize the flame and heat till the black soot is gone and weld away. I also post heated to hopefully stress relieve the part since I added way to much heat in the hard to get area to try to get it to wet out and look halfway descent. It made some cracking noises but see no visible signs of cracking so I post heated half the part to try to relieve the stress. I realize the 1/8" filler should have been 3/32 but was all I had. Comments please!
    Thanks, Shane
    Attached Files
    Modern Metalworking L.L.C
    Blissfiled, MI
    517-605-9481

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig runner
    Hobart 3-phase mig
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma
    Mill
    Lathe
    Box break
    Shear

That looks better than the first aluminum that I welded and it looks like you are on the right track. Keep up the good work and practice, practice, practice.

Wheelchair

Comment

Hey nice work for the first job.Definitley looks better than my first. Keep up the good work.
      252 Miller Mig
      180 Synchrowave
      R - 45 Milling Machine
      Kingston 1100 Lathe
      Miller 2050 Plasma Cutter

Comment

Looks pretty good to me. The second pick looks a hot tho.

Comment

I know I was hot on the second. I really struggled to get into that tight spot. I could not see the puddle and it was tough to get it to wet out. Any pointers on this situation? I had some aluminum rod that I could have tried to stick weld it but did not feel comfortable since I have never used that process.
          Modern Metalworking L.L.C
          Blissfiled, MI
          517-605-9481

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig runner
          Hobart 3-phase mig
          Hypertherm 1000 plasma
          Mill
          Lathe
          Box break
          Shear

Comment

I Like your job there, I do lots more repair work than fabricating, so I never get good practice at laying down "rows of dimes" on new aluminum. Inside corners, especially those with bottom and 2 sides are very hard. sometimes i just stop and let it cool down some and then go at the corner real quick. Sometimes hard to get the torch in there and the filler metal. Other times it works better to have it real hot, like do the outside first then do the inside. Also I use smaller than normal filler [1/16"] to get into tight spots, uses more filler but seems to work better. I found a smaller cup that seems to work in the corners better especially if the part is already nice and warm. Good luck
            Scott
            HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

First Alum. Job

looks good like the other welders sad it shur looks better thin my first alum weld
              miller bobcat 250
              wc 115a
              spoolmatic 30a
              centery 250 mic
              2 lincoln 225 stick
              a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

Comment

nice job

Looks like you did a pretty good job of repairing it. I know how tough it is trying to get those inside corners like that. Dave
                If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

I can't offer to many pointers cause I I'm not very good at describing stuff by typing. One way to get better is to try to weld with you eyes closed. It's hard to get use to but it does help. (I got board one day and did some stainless tig that way.)

Comment

Working...
                  X