First bend test

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First bend test

At my Co-op placement I got the opportunity to try a 12 gage bend test. It took me almost 3 weeks to actually feel good about trying this. So yesterday I finally got to clean my weld off and What do you know I ended up passing it. Too bad it wasn't actually official. It was stainless steel TIG. I herd TIG was one of the more easier tests to take other then MIG is this true?
    Thanks for reading I hope my post helped

Ryan

bend test

YW154,
    Wish I took the TIG test, congrats!!! During my program at votech college, we played with tig ss, mild steel, and aluminum. All we did, was lap,corner,t...
    lap,corner,t...lap,corner,t...until we passed visual inspection...(yes, it DID look darn good by then!!! But, no bend test. Our bend test was only on 3/8"
    plates for stick: 6011 and 7018, vertical and overhead. I got my license for 7018 as the union doesn't use 6011 in the field. Looks like the way you're headed, you won't have trouble, just keep practicing !!! Make a jig at home if you can to practice.Let me know if you want a drawing of one...
    bert
    I'm not late...
    I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Bert the starting of my sad story is I have no welder at home I wish I did but I am so short on money I can afford one. I will be getting one hopefully in the next year when I can see how my course goes and hopefully do some home jobs for people to make some money. I have the coupons at home and I will take pictures mind you they wont be the best but I will put them on.

Ryan

Comment

I remember when I did my first bend test. I need to start worrying about X-rays.

Comment

I didn't run into that yet..... Next year in college I will though. I'm just going to do my best and stay confident and treat it like any other normal welding bead. I want to try a stick bend test but I haven't got to yet. Everyone says a flat bead is easy. I'm trying a GTAW pipe test monday I have been trying them but I just cant seem to get the pipe to fuse. Its really starting to piss me off Its just I have it at like 75 amps and if I put it much higher it will burn through any advice. I have tried to put the tungsten out farther but all that happens is it sticks. I know this makes no difference but I have tried both Lincoln tig and the Miller Syncrowave 250 and I actually found it a lot better to use. I guess I can say I am a miller guy.

Ryan

Comment

anti GMAW

Originally posted by Anti-GMAW View Post
            I remember when I did my first bend test. I need to start worrying about X-rays.
            What's with the anti-GMAW? I kind of feel offedned everytime I see your username.
            Matt Adams A&P, IA
            Trailblazer 302
            Dialarc HF

Comment

Offended? Heck, I thought of it as just another alias, not a statement.
              Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
              Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Originally posted by JonnyTIG View Post
                Offended? Heck, I thought of it as just another alias, not a statement.
                Johnny TIG is an alias.....anti Johnny TIG is a statement . I'm not really offended. I know there's a lot of people who pick up a MIG torch and they're suddenly "Welders" but most don't realize there's so much more than picking up a gun and splooging a bead on two pieces of metal.
                Matt Adams A&P, IA
                Trailblazer 302
                Dialarc HF

Comment

YW154, gee, during my 2 year program, we didn't even get to do pipe! You'll be farther ahead than a lot of us !!!! Bummer that you don' thave a welder at home, but to be expected, YOU'RE NOT WORKING YET !!!!
                  I understand how you feel, never can be soon enough!!! Do the best you can, and maybe by the time you get a welding machine, I'll get a shop (I'm sure you'll win first !!
                  regards,
                  bert
                  I'm not late...
                  I'm just on Hawaiian Time

Comment

Bert good luck on getting your show I'm sure everything is going to work out for you. I know I'm just going to continue to try my hardest and not give up!

Ryan

Comment

Young Welder, in my experience and learnings GMAW guided bend tests are the hardest to pass. The easiest being TIG, next SMAW, reason being MIG welds can look good visually, but lack of fusion at the root or inter-pass can't be seen. With GTAW, you control the heat and therefore can garantee full fusion. Stick also penetrates well, and starts hot. MIG starts cold, and if the proper technique isn't used, the stop-starts will be the weak point.

The pic is of two roots and two faces on 4" sch 40 steel pipe welded with 309ss GTAW after testing.
                      Attached Files
                      Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                      Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Very nice Jonny, I was told out of position SMAW would have been the hardest but that really does make sense about GMAW Being the hardest, The way I would get around starting cold would be have a bit of flat bar before the test plate even starts and start cold from there. Even though I think thats how you really do it. I read in a book you can also start and hold in one place and then start to get it to start warm.

Ryan

Comment

Using run-off tabs has its place, and works well. No run-off tabs on pipe though.
                          Jonny

Dynasty 300DX
                          Esab PCM 1000

Comment

Originally posted by Aircraft Welder View Post
                            Johnny TIG is an alias.....anti Johnny TIG is a statement . I'm not really offended. I know there's a lot of people who pick up a MIG torch and they're suddenly "Welders" but most don't realize there's so much more than picking up a gun and splooging a bead on two pieces of metal.
                            Whats with the comment? Are you saying I don't know how to weld? Sorry if I interprited you're comment incorectly, but it does sound a bit condisending.

And to answer your previous question, I just HATE wire. I love SMAW and GTAW (except aluminium). Though I do a lot of wire and I'm pretty good at it. As much as I hate wire though I can't argue with the benifets and cost savings and that just makes it all the more proliffic (spelling?), Wich is all the more reason for me to despise it.

Comment

Originally posted by youngwelder_154 View Post
                              Very nice Jonny, I was told out of position SMAW would have been the hardest but that really does make sense about GMAW Being the hardest, The way I would get around starting cold would be have a bit of flat bar before the test plate even starts and start cold from there. Even though I think thats how you really do it. I read in a book you can also start and hold in one place and then start to get it to start warm.
                              Some companys make you do a stop and start in the middle of each pass when taking a weld test Spray arc sucks for stops and starts but it makes for a very nice weld profile, not to mention little or no spatter (when done correctly).

Comment

Working...
                              X