Black Iron can I weld it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hit_em
    started a topic Black Iron can I weld it?

Black Iron can I weld it?

I'm wondering if you can weld black iron? is there anything special you need to do to weld this metal?

• welder57
    replied
    the pipe u are referring to is carbon steel while most of your fittings from hardware store would be malleable, not worth welding

Leave a comment:

• Anddiesel
    replied
    HI ..Most of the keel coolers I have seen were made out of chanel .Welded to the bottem of the boat ..dosnot work well on wood or fiber glass!!!:

Leave a comment:

• BBchevy396
    replied
    http://www.duramaxmarine.com/cool_po...ura_cooler.htm
    http://www.waltergear.com/kc.htm
    http://www.fernstrum.com/

Buy a real keel cooler, and be done with it,..... if you think iron will outlast copper, or cupro-nickle in a marine enviroment, your not qualified to do the job. Sorry,.... not trying to bash you, it's just a fact.

Leave a comment:

• Cargoon
    replied
    Welding the elbows

I work for tha railroad and we use the black iron in the brake system on the cars. I welded and tested one of the elbows. I charged it to 90 psi with compressed air and it leaked. I run another beed ( another good one ) and it still leaked. The guys i work with let me learned on my own then told me that it will always crack
    Hope this helps, Canada

Leave a comment:

• postaldave
    replied
    Bending black pipe

Harbor Freight sells a cheap (under $90.00) hydraulic bender that will bend schedule 40 black pipe, all sizes from 1/2" to 2". I've used mine to make dozens of different projects, from truck bumpers to pressure lines. It's true that black pipe isn't legal for NASCAR roll cages, but it's still just mild steel and depending on the application (ie:structural, decorative, etc.) it can be a cheap alterntive to CR steel tube. (Some heavy pipe, like drain lines is cast iron, and is harder to weld) I've used nearly every welding process with the sch40 with success. (Stick,MIG,Oxy/Ac,Braizing) depending on the job with no problems. If you need tighter bends than the bender can produce, you can buy preformed steel fittings that are of the same material. (check "Mc Master-Carr") Just don't try to weld "Malleable Iron" fittings to the steel or you may have cracking problems, and for critical applications take a few minutes with the sander to clean off any scale around the weld.
    Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• hit_em
    replied
    I got some more information off of the guy about the keel cooling system, he runs it year round, in the winter it gets pretty cold here and they use it around the marina so thats why he uses antifreeze and dosent pick the water up from the lake. Just thought I'd let you know why, cause I didnt have a good reason for you before.

Thanks for the help
    Jay

Leave a comment:

• Fat-Fab.com
    replied
    Originally posted by hit_em View Post
    come on guysI need to have an idea to present to the client tommorow, looking for some good suggestions. he want this done right away.
    Help would have come much faster if you would have laid out the whole project in the beginning

You are not talking about "black iron" pipe
    You want to be using steel pipe as "black iron" pipe is cast and will not hold up to much impact

Steel pipe and weldable fittings are available at your local plumbing store.
    The fittings are forged and prepped at each end with a bevel for welding.

TJ

Leave a comment:

• hit_em
    replied
    That is what I am talking about is black pipe.

Leave a comment:

• TomVeatch
    replied
    Originally posted by hit_em View Post
    I dont know where t get 90 degree angles or else that is what I would do. the only thing close I have found are the quick fab squaretubing elbows, but the guy wants round tubing and I dont kow where to get elbows and I dont have a bender. I'm openedto suggestions I was just considering this way as an option.
    Oops. Sorry. I misinterpreted prior posts, thought you were using black pipe like that used in plumbing air/gas lines.

Leave a comment:

• hit_em
    replied
    I dont know too much about boat motors so that kinda suck about this job, but I never turn away work. maybe thats what I will do thanks for the input, I'll go take another look at the job a make a final decision Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    Hit Em

Been around boats and marinas all my life. 50 years ago nearly all the deadrise boats built here in Deltaville, VA were powered with converted gas truck engines. Only keel coolers you ever saw were on the diesel engines.

I assume the owner is using a "dry stack exhaust", ie. a muffler like on a truck, rather than a marine exhaust, because if he's using a marine exhaust system, he has to pump water from the lake/river to cool the exhaust manifolds anyway. Most of the corrosion (rust) will occur in the elbows rather than in the engine.

With all that said, the best/easiest/quickest solution which meets your owners needs is go to HD or your local plumbing supply outlet, buy 20' lengths of 3/4" galvanized pipe, 4" galvanized nipples, and 90 degree galvanized elbows, screw it all together, wire brush the threads you can see left exposed, apply a heavy coat of zinc chromate and be done with his external cooling system.

Quick, clean, and cheap. Will last a lot longer than black pipe.

Just my .02.

Leave a comment:

• hit_em
    replied
    I asked him this too, but there not marine engines there out of an old pick up trucks. he uses anti freez in the cooling system. Thanks for the numbers I appriciate it.

Leave a comment:

• hit_em
    replied
    I didn't really look at the engines too much just the plumbing on the exterior of the boat, but I would think he just uses the engine to pump it through. they are gas engines. But wouldn't copper corride quicker because it is a softer metal, and boats put off electrolises thats why they have the pads on the drives, I forget what there called. this barge is used in a marina so theres boats all around it, thats why I would think it would corrode quicker.I could be wrong it has happened before

Leave a comment:

• SundownIII
    replied
    After going back and reading my last post, I had to smack myself on the forehead. Not trying to cut you out of a job, but if the barge is operated only in freshwater, why does the owner want closed system cooling?

Here on the Chesapeake Bay, most of the gas boats are raw water cooled anyway. The engine will wear out before it rusts out.

If, like you say, the barge is going to be operated in fresh water only, drop the pickup over the side (with an inlet screen) and be done with it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X