No announcement yet.

Cast aluminum filler?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cast aluminum filler?

I have a piece of cast aluminum to weld. Can I use 5356??? If not, which type??
    Thanks, Shane
    Modern Metalworking L.L.C
    Blissfiled, MI

Miller Dynasty 350 Tig runner
    Hobart 3-phase mig
    Hypertherm 1000 plasma
    Box break

cast aluminum

the last time i welded cast alum. it was a tranmisson. and i used er4043 and it seemed to work ok. it is still holding today
    miller bobcat 250
    wc 115a
    spoolmatic 30a
    centery 250 mic
    2 lincoln 225 stick
    a 1954 hobart portable welder w/ willies jeep engine

You can use either 5356 or 4043. The 4043 may match the casting color better than the 5356, and is also heat treatable if that is a concern. 5356 will produce a stronger weld, however the base metal will most likely be lesser in strength, so there probably wont be any advantage to welding with the 5356.

Dynasty 300DX
      Esab PCM 1000

Casting prep....

Hey swyman,
        I do agree with JonnyTIG regarding filler. 4043 is a bit more forgiving, but 5356 is stronger. I use 5356 95% of the time with the MIG process and 4043 on occasion. Take into consideration, if the casting is over 1/4" thick, much better results will be had by preheating the casting to 250-300 deg.. And the most important factor for a sound weld is the cleanliness of the aluminum. Aluminum is very finicky if there is any kind of contamination on the metal. Wire brushing with a SS brush and acetone vigorously will generally get the metal clean for a good weld joint. Hope that helps a bit.....Denny
        * Complete welding, machine, & fab shop *
        * Mobile unit *
        * Finally retired *

* A man's word is his honor..... without honor, there is nothing. *
        * Words are like bullets..... once they leave your muzzle, you cannot get them back. *
        * I have no reservation to kill nor hesitation to die for the U.S. Constitution & the American Flag. *
        * Age is a state of mind..... at my age, you cannot fathom what is in my mind. *

I use 4043 alot [tig] on cast aluminum. Seems to work fine. i have repaired some of the coolest antique toy tractors with this rod, grant it strength is not a big issue, but it seems to weld good. Also repaired several transmission covers/cases also and seems to work good
          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]