plan's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

scoop on trailer brakes

Saw a post about USA made trailers having brakes only on one axle. Thats true, But here is the scoop in case anybody wants to build one. Trailers up to 3000 lbs GVWR do not need brakes. [most small trailers, boat trailers etc] Trailers from 3001 lbs to 10,000 lbs need brakes on at least one axle. Trailers over 10,000 lbs have to have brakes on all wheels. Usually on trailers that are less than 10,000 lbs gvw, one axle is enough to stop it. Less maintenance and initall cost. Where I work we have a bunch of trailers that aer 18000 GVW. They have 8 wheels on 2 axles. They use up brakes alot, but then they are hauling trenchers/backhoes.
    These are the State of Maryland regulations. From my experience Maryland is as strict or more strict than the federal regulations.
    Scott
    HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

most of my utility trailers i build i dont make an A-frame i just use a single tube with anglei-irons off it,, it seems plenty strong to me,, i dident start building utility trailers untill about the begining of 2006 so i dont have much experience with em ,, i am used to building Huge equiptment haulers, goosenecks, and pintle trailers .. in my eyes there usualy easier to to build than a custom utility trailer because most customers are pickey and cheap when it comes to small trailers... the construction guys just need a trailer and are happey with it usualy so it makes my life easier in the sensce i dont have to loose money on small trailers... hey dabar what size tube u use for a 4X8 utility with sides?
      Jorgensen MFG.
      Custom trailers:from utility to semi trailers i make em all.
      argonweld_bjorn@hotmail.com
      www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Hmw ????

dude is it 3000Lbs where you are .. here it is 3500 LBS but as u said its more strict there.. hmm
        Jorgensen MFG.
        www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Yes, under 3000 Lbs doesn't need any brakes. Got vehicle code book right on my desk. Over 3001 lbs and up they do. So, if you had a trailer that had a GVW of 3500 lbs, it would have to have brakes on at least one axle. Maryland has pretty strict DOT rules. Sometimes more strict than the federal gov is. I looked it up in the Federal book and its also 3000 lbs there too.
          Scott
          HMW [Heavy Metal welding]

Comment

trailer info

You guy's are correct about the weights, but many (not all ) of the builders here in Fl. do not put brakes on their trailers, and more often than not I find trailers that have brake axle's that are not wired up. It makes no sense to me as most new trucks are pre wired for trailer brakes. It appears to me that most of the builders down here are in it for the quickest and cheapest way to make a profit, not for the quality and durability. On a 6' x 12' enclosed I found the floor joists were made from 14 ga sheet steel bent into a z shape and the main frame built with 2"x3"x14ga. tubing. Also a lot of these guy's are building 6'4" x 16' utility frames with 2"x3"x1/8" angle. As for your question bmxin, I try to stay away from that small of a trailer when I can. But I build mine depending on the customers actual use, in most cases I would use 2x3x3/16 angle on stuff like that. Anything over 12' I use 2x3x11ga or 2x4x11ga. but again it depends on what the primary function of the trailer is. And one more thing, you are right about the customers trying to nickel and dime you on the custom builds but I really get a feeling of pride and satisfaction doing something no one else has. Dave
            Last edited by dabar39; 03-27-2007, 09:57 PM. Reason: 2x3x11ga. and 2x4x11ga. is refering to box tubing
            If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
            Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

what did you mean about the "it doesnt make sence most trucks are prewired".. its kinda good cz you just buy a harness from like Valley, hidden hitch , or curt and just wire the break controller and the harness together and plug em in... i think it was only like f-250 and up have the harness.. i'm not shure about smaller trucks like the F-150 or the dakota.. i know they have the factory tow-package tho.. it makes sense to me tho .. it makes my life easer .. hey Dabar :; do you make enclosed trailers too?.. there is no money up here for it cz we have to compete with haulmark and wells cargo.. i built one before and it was a lot of work... all the rivets sucked
              Jorgensen MFG.
              www.ehhitch.com

Comment

bmxin^bjorn what I meant was

When I said it doesn't make any sense to me, I was refering to the fact that these other builders go through the expense of putting a brake axle on a trailer then never wiring it up. I can't compete with the enclosed trailers, we have only one guy local building the enclosed and he has to build such a cheap peice of junk to compete with the guy's up in Georgia. If I need an enclosed trailer I call a buddy of mine that goes up and picks up 5 or 6 at a time. I can't build them for what he's paying for them. Most of the trailer dealers around here are doing the same thing now. It used to be everyone carried Wells Cargo, Big Tex or Haulmark, now they are all selling these cheap trailers around here. And I do mean cheap as I would never put my name on them. But on the bright side I do get a lot of repair work from the guys. Did you get those 5x10 frame pics I sent you? Dave
                If necessity is the Mother of Invention, I must be the Father of Desperation!

sigpicJohn Blewett III 10-22-73 to 8-16-07
                Another racing great gone but not to be forgotten.http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...modified&hl=en

Comment

brakes

ohh.. ok i see what your saying now. Your completely right its kinda dumb.. lol. . why would you put brakes on a trailer and not wire em ,, sounds stupid to me.. may as well not even put any on then.
                  Jorgensen MFG.
                  www.ehhitch.com

Comment

Working...
                  X