Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about purchase

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about purchase

I am thinking about buying a Trailblazer 302 and am wondering if I'll have any trouble running my Lincoln mig off of the aux. power? I thought I remembered someone posting having trouble running a mig unit off of the power of this welder but can't find the thread.

I am currently running a Lincoln Ranger8 and my mig runs well on this unit.

Thanks for any help.

what kind of mig?
    suitcase feeder running off 14pin?
    or mig machine running off auxillary power?

I have a trailblazer 280
    the arc is excellent on wire stick or tig
    as well as excellent arc starts , no sputtering on wire, no sticking rods on stick

Comment

It's a SP 135 T 220 volt that I'll be running off the axu. power.

Comment

You'll have to buy an adapter cord for about $75 because the 220 plug on the machine is full KVA (?) but heck yeah! You'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by shortarc View Post
          It's a SP 135 T 220 volt that I'll be running off the axu. power.
          That's a 120V unit, so I'll assume you meant the SP175T. You will have no problems running this unit from aux. power. I ran a Millermatic 175 from my 301G and it's got more electronics than your tapped unit. I've also run Maxstar inverters and a Millermatic Passport with no problems.

Get a short length of 10/3 SJOOW cord (or however long you want it to use as an extension cord at the same time) as well as the ends. For the male end, you need a NEMA 14-50P and for the female end, you need a NEMA 6-50R or NEMA 6-50C. There will be no wire on the middle flat of the male NEMA 14-50P, and you don't even need to install that prong, in fact.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
            That's a 120V unit, so I'll assume you meant the SP175T. You will have no problems running this unit from aux. power. I ran a Millermatic 175 from my 301G and it's got more electronics than your tapped unit. I've also run Maxstar inverters and a Millermatic Passport with no problems.

Get a short length of 10/3 SJOOW cord (or however long you want it to use as an extension cord at the same time) as well as the ends. For the male end, you need a NEMA 14-50P and for the female end, you need a NEMA 6-50R or NEMA 6-50C. There will be no wire on the middle flat of the male NEMA 14-50P, and you don't even need to install that prong, in fact.
            Thanks for all the help. It's a SP 130 T Its about 5 or 6 years old and it is a 220 volt unit. I think the adapter that I already have made up that I use on my Ranger is the same thing, big round four prong plug goes in to the welder.

Comment

shortarc, just trying to be helpful but the Lincoln 130 series are 120v machines like Mac said. I think this will make difference in your plug needs.

Comment

Originally posted by 1911man View Post
                shortarc, just trying to be helpful but the Lincoln 130 series are 120v machines like Mac said. I think this will make difference in your plug needs.
                Ok I just went out to the garage and took this picture. Supposed to be worth a thousand words
                Attached Files

Comment

SP-130T Input Power Requirements

I don't own one, and don't have a bone to pick either way, but according to the owners manual for the SP-130T, it comes equipped with a NEMA 6-50R Plug and requires input of 20/22 amps at 230/208 volts. See the attached excerpts from the manual.
                  Attached Files

Comment

That's interesting, I have a sp135t and its 120v.

Comment

The OP is correct. His initial listing said SP-135T, so I made the correction based on that. But, sure enough, his older SP-130T is a 230V machine. Odd.

Either way, the 240V receptacle issue was settled.

Comment

you can run that, and have someone else welding with a suitcase at the same time. or you can plug in a tombstone and weld with it and weld off the trailblazer 302 at the same time with no drop in current. why buy 2 gas machines when 302 will run. now if only someone will buy me a 302 of my very own

Comment

Shortarc: I also have a st130t That runs on 230 Used to to run it on lincoln 225 now its on my Miller 250. will work well for you.

Comment

What did you mean by a Tombstone Beamwalker?

Comment

Can anyone tell me the max distance from your machine that you can run your SuitCase X-TREME 12VS feeder? Because a 1000' lead would be nice sometimes and I'm going to buy a suitcase soon. I just wanted to know how far I could run it.

Comment

Working...
                              X
                              Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.