rigs not working in alberta

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rigs not working in alberta

just wondering how many rig welders in alberta on this forum, that are not working right now
    sigpic

I'm not working

I 'm not. Last winter I was getting 10-15 calls a week to go and weld pipe, and they where head hunting me like a bugger Real slow fall and the winter
    doesnt seem to be going any better. You use to be able to play it by ear but
    this past year was real odd There is work, lots of general
    welding all over Calgary but no 30G's a month kind of stuff more like enough
    to make bills and have some spending money. Late 2006 for me was my worst
    in all of my 7 years as a welder
    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
    PIPEPRO 304
    TO MANY TOOLS
    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
    and easily upset
    go flames go

Comment

Canadians

Have I mentioned that I love Canadians? Not the Michael Moore loving Canadians....**** good people.
      Matt Adams A&P, IA
      Trailblazer 302
      Dialarc HF

Comment

oui

Originally posted by Tex View Post
        Have I mentioned that I love Canadians? Not the Michael Moore loving Canadians....**** good people.
        Thanks bud. Ya those f*ck'en Canadians that love that kind of sh*t all live
        over on the east side of Canada, there all FRENCH, just like the USA cant stand them ,ether can Alberta. Texas and Alberta are alot alike, land oilpatch, ranches and we love to scr*w the ladies I guess there is one thing that is different, You guys talk real wierd. Ya all come back now ya here
        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
        PIPEPRO 304
        TO MANY TOOLS
        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
        and easily upset
        go flames go

Comment

**** Yeah

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
          Thanks bud. Ya those f*ck'en Canadians that love that kind of sh*t all live
          over on the east side of Canada, there all FRENCH, just like the USA cant stand them ,ether can Alberta. Texas and Alberta are alot alike, land oilpatch, ranches and we love to scr*w the ladies I guess there is one thing that is different, You guys talk real wierd. Ya all come back now ya here
          I still can't figure out Canadian country music but when I was in the service in Bosnia I used the port-a-potty next to Paul Brandt (he was in the next port-a-potty...just to clarify) We had a Canadian apache pilot in our unit for about 2 years... great guy
          Eh.
          Matt Adams A&P, IA
          Trailblazer 302
          Dialarc HF

Comment

Alberta

From alberta but i am working i know a few guys that arent though and i know some that shouldn't be working but are
            your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
            2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
            PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
            here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

reach around guys

Originally posted by lynx_welding
              From alberta but i am working i know a few guys that arent though and i know some that shouldn't be working but are
              That is so very true
              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
              PIPEPRO 304
              TO MANY TOOLS
              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
              and easily upset
              go flames go

Comment

Hangin in there coal/guys

I,ve been up and down around my way the last 3 mos.Today i did a small aluminum job on a single axle snomobile trailer.But i,m treading water down here also in the New england area, no snow is not helping me either as i have plows on both trucks and do repairs for customers
                BB402D
                TB300D
                DIMENSION652
                MM250X
                MAXSTAR140
                S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

Comment

A lot of people don't advertise in the Yellow Pages. For years, I didn't either, until buying the portable rig.

Most of my Yellow Pages calls start around 5:00 p.m., when most every shop within 50 miles stops answering the phone. I like working after 5:00, time and a half means $120/hour. Most of these calls are get me dones. Not familiar with that term? They rarely care about the cost, as long as you can get them done & back on the road, or back in business.

If you don't have a Yellow Pages ad, you'll probably miss this type of business. Funny thing is that the ads have always paid for themselves with the first or second job - after that, they're free for the next twelve months

You can certainly leave business cards at truck stops, rest areas, DOT weigh stations, farm implement dealers, etc. Sometimes they work. For me, the Yellow Pages works 24/7/365.
                  Barry Milton

HTP Invertig 201
                  HTP MIG2400

Miller Trailblazer 302, Spoolmatic 30A, Suitcase 12RC
                  Clarke Hotshot

Comment

Coal smoke have you gone to the oildirectory.com
                    try there
                    your only as good as # 2 cuz no matter how good you are there is always someone better"
                    2006 DODGE Dualy Quad Cab
                    PIPELINE IS THICKER THAN BLOOD!!!
                    here is all the pictures of my rig www.cardomain.com/ride/2520047/1

Comment

Originally posted by Coalsmoke
                      I had one person tell me they were a waste of money and that nobody looks in the yellowpages anymore
                      Yup. That's the way it is here, a complete waste. I personally do not want the kind of customer who is searching for a welder in the yellow pages. I much prefer the referral types that I get around here. Business is good and pretty soon the word gets out that you are available when the need arises.
                      Dynasty 350DX
                      Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                      MM 350P
                      MM Passport Plus
                      Spectrum 375 Extreme
                      08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

To Adm

Originally posted by admweld View Post
                        I,ve been up and down around my way the last 3 mos.Today i did a small aluminum job on a single axle snomobile trailer.But i,m treading water down here also in the New england area, no snow is not helping me either as i have plows on both trucks.
                        Same in Ct. Pal,,Sucks,,and there talking a major snow storm mon night,1/2 to 1 inch,,,Yea like if i show to plow that,,ill be putting nrw windows in the welding truck also!!!!!Its got to get better I Hope!!!!!!!!!!,Jack

Comment

Alberta Pipeline Work

Dan wrote:

"Real slow fall and the winter
                          doesnt seem to be going any better. "

I am a welder and a member of the United Association of Plumbers and Steamfitters Local 46 pipeline division and the last I heard was the large majority of pipeline work in Alberta this winter has gone to CLAC so perhaps thats the reason many rig welders are sitting at home this winter.
                          We just came back from a 2 week vacation in Alberta over Christmas and I saw lots of rigs on the highway but only one pipeline job on the go just North of Red Deer.
                          I did see a big side boom and 2 loads of 6" bare pipe going down the highway with the company name of D&R Pipeline on the door.

Norm

Comment

Norm how's it going

Originally posted by arcwelder View Post
                            "Norm
                            Hey Norm are you the guy I was talking to just before Christmas? If it is
                            what did you think of Alberta? I'll bet you want to move here eh? I guess thats why they call It gods country If your not the Norm I was talking to before Christmas, well my mistake The real question is, could there be 2 Norm's that weld?????
                            DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                            PIPEPRO 304
                            TO MANY TOOLS
                            JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                            and easily upset
                            go flames go

Comment

Bible for welders

Coalsmoke I'll send you the oilfield book Lynx was talking about on a disk
                              for your computer, that way its right at your finger tips. I have got alot
                              of jobs out of that book. Their is over 1550 pages from a-z on oilfield/pipeline
                              companies, hotels,tickets, safty, everything you could ever need its all in here. Well I didn't see any companies that sold seeds for a money tree OHHHH CRAP
                              DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                              PIPEPRO 304
                              TO MANY TOOLS
                              JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                              and easily upset
                              go flames go

Comment

Working...
                              X