No announcement yet.

6 speed tranny's for Harley's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Harley is changing lots of things ....

I hear they have 6 speed boxes on some models and I hear they recently discovered FUEL INJECTION - might see it on smaller models this year.

A friend of mine dumped Harley for a Victory - I believe it has an S&S fuel injected V-Twin that he loves.

Harley is slowly but surely being dragged away (kicking and screaming) from thier older technology.

I never thought I'd see Fuel Injection on a production motorcycle, much less a Harley.

I remember thinking my normally aspirated 1982 Honda CB650 was a hot bike. Nowadays a 650 is a fuel injected v-twin capable of speeds over 125 MPH in stock condition. I recall when hitting 90 on a street bike to a bit of work, laying down over the tank to cut wind resistance in an effort to reach 90 on a 1973 Honda CL350 .... WOW that was a hairy ride.

Now I have a lil ol 650 that will hit 90 before I even want to - I gotta be careful with that bike and it's not even a sport bike.

Comment

Originally posted by Trent Combs View Post
      They're posted on www.harleydavidson.com - just pick a bike and click on specs. I'm at work, where they block such fun sites.....
      This link doesn't do much for me, maybe I don't know how to use it , I click on the bike I want, click compare specks then click powertrain and all I get is price lists ?
      To all who contribute to this board.
      My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
      Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
      Miller Syncrowave 250
      Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by PJinNJ View Post
        I had 5 on my bike (97 Harley) and now I have three, I just like to ride, not shift. Shoot, I'd just as soon have 1 or an automatic if I could.
        Could you elaborate on the three ? Is this one of the three speed drag raceing transmissions ? I've read a little bit about the 3 speed drag trans but can't find a whole lot about them, having trouble finding info on the transmissions used by the Harley drag bikes period.

Pureox OA
        Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
          This link doesn't do much for me, maybe I don't know how to use it , I click on the bike I want, click compare specks then click powertrain and all I get is price lists ?
          Should be able to click on compare specs and scroll down to the powertrain section. Maybe the site's acting up. I'll look it up tonight - just have the bike here, no manual.

Comment

The 6-speed Cruise Drive transmission, which was introduced on the Dyna family in 2006, features gear ratios optimized to match the torque curve of the new Twin Cam 96/96B engines. The addition of a higher-ratio sixth gear reduces top-gear rpm by 11 percent, compared to the previous 5-speed Big Twin transmission. At 75 mph, engine speed is reduced by 368 rpm, from 3227 rpm to 2859 rpm. Second through fourth gears have helical-cut teeth for quieter operation, and load carrying capacity has been increased significantly.

Comment

Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
              You'll need all the help you can get just to try and keep up with the Suzukis.

Maybe you could rip a 13 speed tranny out of a Kenworth!
              There is no factory harley that handles like a Texas chopper or one that can out perform it. Then again its somewhat more expensive as the most expensive Harley as well, and wayyyyyyyy better looking.

6th gear in this bike hits at speeds exceeding 70mph, rpm drops to 2200 rpm

Comment

1st 9.312

2nd 6.421

3rd 4.774

4th 3.926

5th 3.279

6th 2.790

Comment

Thanks Trent, those must be at the rear wheel.

Check this out. I was on the All Harly Drag Raceing Association web site. The Pro Dragster class use's no transmition, one speed.
                  http://www.ahdra.com/rulespd.html

Pureox OA
                  Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by Trent_Combs View Post
                    1st 9.312

2nd 6.421

3rd 4.774

4th 3.926

5th 3.279

6th 2.790
                    Thanks again for taking time to look that up.
                    It took a minute to calculate but here is how that 6 will compair to my 4 at the rear wheel.

1st 8.17

2nd 5.72

3rd 3.86

4th 3.14

I can honestly say I would like that low 1st for rough situations.

Pureox OA
                    Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Pete, I just bought a '07 Night Train with the 96" and six speed. I also have a 1980 wide glide shovel head. Of course that one is 80" with 4 sd. The glide is regeared through the sprockets for better highway cruising. I can't tell you the sproket count right now. It cruises good at 65-75mph but sometimes can't decide where it wants to be around 45mph. It has good pull thru the gearing. The bike sounds good when working like a harley should. Now the new bike is alittle dissappointing to me. If I squint, I can almost swear I'm riding a Honda shadow. The fuel injection makes it idel high and fast and It doesn't even sound like my shovel. The 6 speed goes through the gears quickly and smoothly so there is no pull through them. Very Japanessish to me. When I took the seat off I swear I was looking under the hood of my Navigator. More electronics then I've ever seen. I realize that this is what the modern Harley rider seems to want. And I know that Harley has to keep up with the Japs to keep selling bikes. But I'm an old school rider. I like the simplisity of the old stuff. I want my Harley to look and feel like a Harley. I passed a starbucks last sunday with six new harleys out front. I just can't do it. Now having dissed my new scoot, I'll tell you what I do like about it. In 6th gear, it will run 80+ all day and with the gearing I can drop a gear and pass traffic easily. I ride 80 miles each way (up hill and thru the snow) to work. I need to be able to get around the slow driving sumbeaches. On these occations, this bike is a hoot to ride but for the around town bar runs and other functions, I'll roll out on the shovel.

I worked a job in Pittsbergh a couple of months ago and ment to look you up. Maybe next time.

Kelly

Comment

i dont much care for the new harlys eather, a harly has always been loud and simple, kinda like an old truck that just refused to keep up with the new tec. its just waht it is, the new ones just dont look or feel harly. although i cant aford one if one was given to me and ihad the option of a new one or an older one i would have to go with the older one if i had to keep the one i chose, if i could sell it i would go with a new one sell it to a yuppie and build myself one frome parts to be just right for me. and it would have a 4 speed, if i did pull a trailor it would be a light one so the 4 speed should be fine. and there is just some thing about a kicker that just has to be there ya know.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                        summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                        JAMES

Comment

Kelly;
                          Let me know next time you're in town, I'm about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh in Greene County. Maybe you could give me some pointers on this tig of mine.
                          You should fill in you're location, who knows, I might be in you're peice of the world some day.

James;
                          A good friend of mine down near Cincinnati Ohio started with a seat he got at a flea market and eventually built himself a Harley. Rose thought he was nuts when he brought the seat home and told her it was there new bike. If you want one, I believe you will eventually end up with one, although cheap parts are getting harder and harder to find now days with the craze thats going on. I also like simple, thats why I did away with the electronic ignition and put a magneto on mine.
                          As far as pulling a trailer, they all will do that just fine, unless you plan on trailering you're car to the track with you're bike. I noticed on the speck stuff from Harley that Trent posted they mentioned increased hauling capacity. After you get so big that becomes a mute point. like harcosparky said of his freinds 750 CC BMW with a side car and two passengers, if that can do it, so can any Harley. I wish you the best and look forward to seeing some progress picture's of youre new used bike.

I think if I were to go with 6 speeds I would want 4 of them set up like my 4 speed and the other two to be about 15-1 at the rear wheel with one of them being a reverse, the other a granny gear for crawling out of hairy places.

Thanks to every one who participated in this thread so far, I've enjoyed the input.

Pureox OA
                          Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Hay James ;
                            This looks like an afordable starter bike.
                            Just ran into this and could not resist posting it.
                            Attached Files

Pureox OA
                            Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
                              Hay James ;
                              This looks like an afordable starter bike.
                              Just ran into this and could not resist posting it.
                              That bike has to be kept indoors. They shoulda used Pressure Treated lumber!

TERMINIX Pest Control offeres a Warranty for it as well.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Trent Combs View Post
                                I recently (last week) picked up a 2007 FLTR Road Glide, 96CI and 6 speed. Box stock with the full CA emmissions package, it runs very strong from 3-5K rpms. 4000 rpms in 4th is 80mph. 6th is a cruising gear, not worth having below 70 mph. 1st and 5th are straight cut gears, all the others are helical (sp?) cut. Straight is stronger but noisier. 1st for starts, 5th for passing.

There is no way I'd put a 6 speed on a 80, or an 88 for that matter. Lugging these motors kills power AND fuel mileage. That's why HD only put 6 speeds on Dynas last year - the lighter bike was OK with it on the 88.

You are right to stay with the 4 speed INHO, given the way you ride. Of course, you could go with a 5 and just use 1, 3 & 5.........

Just so you know, a helical cut gear is stronger as well as quieter than a straight cut gear due to more contact area on the tooth surface of the helical cut gear. The only real disadvantages to helical cut gears are that they produce side thrust and must be in constant mesh with its mating gear. Straight cut gears with the assistance of syncro's can be engaged and disengaged quite easily and produce no side thrust.

Tek

Millermatic 350P
                                Dynasty 200Dx
                                Hypertherm Powermax 1000
                                Victor Journeyman O/A
                                Offshore Mill and Lathe
                                Tunes to weld with by Peavey

Comment

Working...
                                X