Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

6 speed tranny's for Harley's

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by moe1942 View Post
    The point missed is extra gearing means lower RPM's which equate to longer engine life. The extra gearing evolved due to interstate travel. Plus there is no law that says you have to use all six gears all the time.

    Those who are more mechanically inclined will understand what I have said..

    Stick with your three speeds and keep that puppy wound tight.
    Adding more gears is not the only way to lower the rpm. I lowered mine 300 rpm just with a final drive sprocket change. With all the the available horse power the Rpm range could easily be covered through 4 speeds and eliminate skipping gears as you mentioned. Like I said earlier, I end up skipping gears with my 4 speed, if I had a 6 speed I would be skipping 2 at a time. The first 5 is just bringing it up to direct drive like the 4 speeds.
    I like Bulldogs explanation so far, it makes the most sence.
    By the way, they do make 3 speed drag transmissions, I just don't know any one useing them.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

    Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
      Adding more gears is not the only way to lower the rpm. I lowered mine 300 rpm just with a final drive sprocket change.

      Yes final drive ratio change is the easiest and least expensive, but it affects performance in all gears. I would imagine the extra gear or two would act as an 'overdrive' for highway use, leaving the final drive ration alone leaves lower gear performance intact, while adding an extra gear or two would give you more flexibility.

      Having the extra gear and not needing it is better then needing it and not having it. I have a Suzuki with a 6 speed tranny - rarely does it get out of 4th but when hit the interstate those gears are nice.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
        Yes final drive ratio change is the easiest and least expensive, but it affects performance in all gears. I would imagine the extra gear or two would act as an 'overdrive' for highway use, leaving the final drive ration alone leaves lower gear performance intact, while adding an extra gear or two would give you more flexibility.

        Having the extra gear and not needing it is better then needing it and not having it. I have a Suzuki with a 6 speed tranny - rarely does it get out of 4th but when hit the interstate those gears are nice.
        Thats why I changed my 1st and second, I'm giveing it a wider range of rpm. 1st will end up virtually the same as stock and 4th will lower my rpm by 300 at 75 mph.
        I guess with belt drives you are some what limited as to what you can do so I might see an argument there.
        To all who contribute to this board.
        My sincere thanks , Pete.

        Pureox OA
        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
        Miller Syncrowave 250
        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

        Comment


        • #19
          i would think the 76 speed (if geared propery) would be an advantage if you were intending to pull a trailor with it, especily if mountans were involved. nothing like croozzzzzing the mountains for great views. i have ridden from florida to NY on several ocations and have to say the pensilavinea mountains was about the best part of the trip, well the bikinies in Fl. were not too bad eather.
          the 6 speed could be set up to give you much better towing. it realy depends on what you want out of the bike and what you are willing to do (and spend ) to get it. if i was going to be pulling a trailor i would want the extra gears, you could always skip a few when not towing.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by fun4now View Post
            i would think the 76 speed (if geared propery) would be an advantage if you were intending to pull a trailor with it, especily if mountans were involved. nothing like croozzzzzing the mountains for great views. i have ridden from florida to NY on several ocations and have to say the pensilavinea mountains was about the best part of the trip, well the bikinies in Fl. were not too bad eather.
            the 6 speed could be set up to give you much better towing. it realy depends on what you want out of the bike and what you are willing to do (and spend ) to get it. if i was going to be pulling a trailor i would want the extra gears, you could always skip a few when not towing.
            76 speed ?
            I agree it could come in handy totin heavy loads, but with 100 plus CI engines I don't know that it would be nessessary. I've toted some heavy loads with mine and its just 80 CI. remember this photo ?
            I'm definately more of a cruzzer than a racer. Love those bikiny beaches.
            Attached Files
            To all who contribute to this board.
            My sincere thanks , Pete.

            Pureox OA
            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
            Miller Syncrowave 250
            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
              You'll need all the help you can get just to try and keep up with the Suzukis.
              The question is, why do I WANT to keep up with the KawaYamaSuzukda's?

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by burninbriar View Post
                76 speed ?
                I agree it could come in handy totin heavy loads, but with 100 plus CI engines I don't know that it would be nessessary. I've toted some heavy loads with mine and its just 80 CI. remember this photo ?
                I'm definately more of a cruzzer than a racer. Love those bikiny beaches.
                Back in the days when the BMW twins only had 27 HP, and 4 gears they were toting driver, side car, and two passengers. I remember a friend I used to ride with, he and his wife on the bike, a kid and gear in the side car. That little BMW did the job. 25 years later he still has that black BMW and side car. This was back when a 750cc was a BIG BIKE!

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by harcosparky View Post
                  Back in the days when the BMW twins only had 27 HP, and 4 gears they were toting driver, side car, and two passengers. I remember a friend I used to ride with, he and his wife on the bike, a kid and gear in the side car. That little BMW did the job. 25 years later he still has that black BMW and side car. This was back when a 750cc was a BIG BIKE!
                  Thats pretty cool, I bet that BMW is probably worth more now than it was then.
                  To all who contribute to this board.
                  My sincere thanks , Pete.

                  Pureox OA
                  Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                  Miller Syncrowave 250
                  Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    I recently (last week) picked up a 2007 FLTR Road Glide, 96CI and 6 speed. Box stock with the full CA emmissions package, it runs very strong from 3-5K rpms. 4000 rpms in 4th is 80mph. 6th is a cruising gear, not worth having below 70 mph. 1st and 5th are straight cut gears, all the others are helical (sp?) cut. Straight is stronger but noisier. 1st for starts, 5th for passing.

                    There is no way I'd put a 6 speed on a 80, or an 88 for that matter. Lugging these motors kills power AND fuel mileage. That's why HD only put 6 speeds on Dynas last year - the lighter bike was OK with it on the 88.

                    You are right to stay with the 4 speed INHO, given the way you ride. Of course, you could go with a 5 and just use 1, 3 & 5.........

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      The question is, why do I WANT to keep up with the KawaYamaSuzukda's?
                      exactly, the harly was never intended to run with the croch rockets and if you are trying to you obveously bought the wrong bike.
                      even if you were to spend the $$ to get the speed of the suzukie out of your harly you would never have the handiling ability of the suzukie, or the breaking power. so all it would only take is a few curves and you would eather be left behind or worse left in a ditch.

                      if you feel the torque is there to pull the trailor without any truble then no point in waisting the $$.
                      it sounds like you got a harly to ride like a harly so no point in messing with the extra gears.
                      thanks for the help
                      ......or..........
                      hope i helped
                      sigpic
                      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                      JAMES

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                        if you feel the torque is there to pull the trailor without any truble then no point in waisting the $$.
                        it sounds like you got a harly to ride like a harly so no point in messing with the extra gears.
                        I am definately keeping my 4 speed with the kicker (wouldn't give that up ! ) The main piont of this thread was to see why people like the 6 speed and to see what the drag racer's are useing in the way of a transmission.

                        Originally posted by Trent Combs View Post
                        I recently (last week) picked up a 2007 FLTR Road Glide, 96CI and 6 speed. Box stock with the full CA emmissions package, it runs very strong from 3-5K rpms. 4000 rpms in 4th is 80mph. 6th is a cruising gear, not worth having below 70 mph. 1st and 5th are straight cut gears, all the others are helical (sp?) cut. Straight is stronger but noisier. 1st for starts, 5th for passing.
                        Mine will be running 78 mph in 3rd at 4000 rpm, so you're 4th and my 3rd are almost the same. I didn't know Harley is useing a 6 speed, I know they've had a 5 speed for a long time. I am pretty sure you're 5th and my 4th are the same ( direct drive ) and you're 6th is probably .86 or .80 to 1. Does you're manual show you're gear ratio's ? It would be interesting to know what they are.
                        To all who contribute to this board.
                        My sincere thanks , Pete.

                        Pureox OA
                        Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
                        Miller Syncrowave 250
                        Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          They're posted on www.harleydavidson.com - just pick a bike and click on specs. I'm at work, where they block such fun sites.....

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            4 os fine

                            4 is more than most need. Few people can ride well enough and even fewer have a need for more than that. It's this i got 6 or 8 or whatever mentality that gets people in trouble thinking they need more to be better, it's skill that gets you where you want to be. I had 5 on my bike (97 Harley) and now I have three, I just like to ride, not shift. Shoot, I'd just as soon have 1 or an automatic if I could.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I almost forgot

                              Most drag racers these days use an "AUTOCLUTCH". It's the hotest thing on the circuits. It's basically a steel wheel with grooves and stainless steel round ball bearing resting in them and when the centrifical force picks up it causes them to ride out in the grooves and pushes the plate engaging the clutch.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                here's a link to the most popular one I know of

                                http://www.revloc.com/benefits.htm

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X