Welding Cable Reels

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welding Cable Reels

I'm going to build some cable reels. I know they are pretty simple, but does anyone have plans for building them? Thanks

Also anyone with pictures of there reels would be great, thanks.

Comment

spools are easy?

Originally posted by LBF205 View Post
      I'm going to build some cable reels. I know they are pretty simple, but does anyone have plans for building them? Thanks
      I have built about 3 sets of spools, and there not as easy as you might think
      you can build ones that you have to disconnect the cables when you spool up but the cable doesn't rap up nice and even, cause you have a connector
      in the way. You can put the connecter inside your spool but after a while
      the connector gets pushed on then its hard to hold it in one spot and turn
      it to connect, then it falls out during welding I am not saying that
      It can't be done just that almost every rig welder says that same thing
      and tries to build a pair, And in the end they buy a set that is done by
      a company who makes them the right way. After you have a set that
      is made the right way, you'll just laugh at the ones you built for yourself
      trust me, I and lots of other buddies that have rigs would know
      If it was easy then I would of built my own 4 spool set and saved
      around 1600-$1700. If you want something easy to build for your cables I'd say you should think about building raps for your cables. You may be different then the other guys I know. maybe you will build a good set that works well who knows, but the only easy part about building them is using someone else's plans

SH*LL - RYN MACHINING built mine and I love'em I don't know there e-mail but
      I am sure if you type that into your computer then you most likely get
      to there web page, They are in Brooks Alberta.
      403-362-2297
      DODGE 1 TON 6.7
      PIPEPRO 304
      TO MANY TOOLS
      JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
      rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
      and easily upset
      go flames go

Comment

Ditto

Sh*ll-Ryn reels are very popular out here and are available direct, or through, praxair, acklands and many other distributors. Express Custom Trailer looks to be making a knock off version of these reels now too.

I have seen some good homemade stinger and ground reels and they usually are based on a trailer hub bolted to a spool which is made of a piece of Al pipe with plates welded to each end. The current path ends up going through the bearings and you dont have to worry about cinching them down to make the contact like the Sh*ll-Ryns. Add more preload to the bearing nut and you get more resistance to prevent unreeling easily. Isolate the reels from your mounts with a piece of phenol, teflon, plastic etc and isolate the through-bolts with bushings made of the same.

Oxy-Acetylene hose reels would be more tricky. You end up using a CTI wheel valve from a heavy truck for the rotating seal.

I am setting up a new skid right now. Since I am too lazy and pressed for time I am going to try reels made by Camco (sp?). They have very similar stinger/ground reels to sh*ll-ryn style but the remote uses makita brushes inside so you never have to unplug it like the sh*ll-ryns. I'll post some pics of each sooner or later...

btw *=e. The auto-expletive censoring is welcome but sometimes annoying
        Cheers,
        Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

dont keep us waiting, I d love to see

Originally posted by hurricunning View Post
          Ditto
          II am setting up a new skid right now. Since I am too lazy and pressed for time I am going to try reels made by Camco (sp?). They have very similar stinger/ground reels to sh*ll-ryn style but the remote uses makita brushes inside so you never have to unplug it like the sh*ll-ryns. I'll post some pics of each sooner or later...

btw *=e. The auto-expletive censoring is welcome but sometimes annoying
          I love my spools but would really love if my remote didn't have to be
          pluged in/out all the time, ohh great coalsmoke is going to call me lazy
          again I think I'll write and tell Santa what I want for Christmas
          Hey do you think Santa pipelines in the off season? I hope not cause
          he probably didn't work alot this summer. If he does I guess I am just
          getting a plastic lens cover again
          DODGE 1 TON 6.7
          PIPEPRO 304
          TO MANY TOOLS
          JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
          and easily upset
          go flames go

Comment

sids are can be so draw'en out eh

It takes me forever to finsh off my skid and then thats when you get a call
            for work, meanwhile you got tools, welder, steel and wet paint scattered
            everywhere and they want you to come yesterday
            DODGE 1 TON 6.7
            PIPEPRO 304
            TO MANY TOOLS
            JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
            and easily upset
            go flames go

Comment

Hahahaha yup thats the way it goes. I am nowhere near done - just barely started and I am feeling the pressure to go to work right away. I am going to end up with a bunch of cobbled together crap that will be no better than the last heap I made but I will make due for three years of grief before I scrap it all and start over again
              Cheers,
              Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

Comment

I am going to end up with a bunch of cobbled together crap that will be no better than the last heap I made but I will make due for three years of grief before I scrap it all and start over again
                Now that sound familiar...Been there
                Jeff

Comment

yes sir

Hahahaha yup thats the way it goes. I am nowhere near done - just barely started and I am feeling the pressure to go to work right away. I am going to end up with a bunch of cobbled together crap that will be no better than the last heap I made but I will make due for three years of grief before I scrap it all and start over again
                  I hear ya, This is what happens to me, I know what I need to do so I start it
                  Wife calls me to come inside she has something to ask me, 4hrs latter
                  I come back outside to finsh what I was doing. I forget and have to sit
                  and think about it for 1/2hr then I start to work, my little girl comes to play
                  with me, so I jump rope for a bit, Im fat so then I get out of breath and
                  need to sit for a second to catch my breath. Then I'll get a call on my phone
                  so I'll have to BS for a bit then I start again, then before you know it
                  its 6 "TIME FOR SUPPER" well I did get a bolt welded on my skid, only
                  10 more hrs to go
                  DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                  PIPEPRO 304
                  TO MANY TOOLS
                  JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                  and easily upset
                  go flames go

Comment

Originally posted by pipeline Dan View Post
                    I love my spools but would really love if my remote didn't have to be
                    pluged in/out all the time, ohh great coalsmoke is going to call me lazy
                    again I think I'll write and tell Santa what I want for Christmas
                    Hey do you think Santa pipelines in the off season? I hope not cause
                    he probably didn't work alot this summer. If he does I guess I am just
                    getting a plastic lens cover again
                    You bet he does, I got a pipe-wrap from him last year. Pipelinnig Santa Baby! I need to get someone who can draw to draw me up a pipelining santa and get it decaled on my truck for the christmas season.

I hear you/ one of the best things I did was take a bit of a financial hit, not get going on a cobbled-together setup, but instead take a some extra time and set my rig up so that it would continue to work for me, not against me.
                    Coalsmoke's Website

Comment

When I get time, I'll be mounting these reels on the bed. 12 volt power re-wind for the leads, spring loaded for the remote, spring loaded for the cutting hose.

Like was said before, I've built them, and was not pleased, so I bit a BIG bullet and bought some.
                      Attached Files

Comment

b-footn,you the same one that posted the pipelining pics on the hobart board.if so i really enjoyed them and would like to see more if u got em.

Comment

Originally posted by b-footn
                          When I get time, I'll be mounting these reels on the bed. 12 volt power re-wind for the leads, spring loaded for the remote, spring loaded for the cutting hose.
                          So, let's be for getting them done
                          Jeff

Comment

Reels cant be that hard to make,I would like to see how the swivel works on these reels that we see from you Canadians.I have a lathe and a mill so the parts for a lead reel cant be to complicated to make, a remote seems a lot harder due to the amount of wires/contacts.I priced some reelcraft reels for lead that are manual and hold 200'-$843.00 for the stacked model(two reels).Are these alum. reels insulated or just isolated,I mean if you touched both reels at the same time would you be safe?

Comment

Originally posted by weldingrod View Post
                              b-footn,you the same one that posted the pipelining pics on the hobart board.if so i really enjoyed them and would like to see more if u got em.
                              I've posted those, and others on a few of these welding forums. It's easier to show a picture than it is to tell someone what it is supposed to look like.

Here's a picture of some pipe that was put together over by Eric Carroll's shop when they were re-doing 1st avenue. The red machine in the background is a line stopper holding back the gas while we weld in the new section of pipe. There is another line stopper behind me, holding the gas from the other direction. This was a new line that we layed, and put in service, and the road crew got into it with a trackhoe. Expensive to shut it down and repair. That's me on the left side of the pipe.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X