Ground Clamps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ground Clamps

Does anyone make a ground clamp that will fit 2.5 pipe? Right now I just put my ground on the pipe up side down. It works, but not the best.
    NorthridgeFabrications.com

Originally posted by BryanDowdy View Post
    Does anyone make a ground clamp that will fit 2.5 pipe? Right now I just put my ground on the pipe up side down. It works, but not the best.
    I'm not sure it this would work in your situation but I have often times just tacked a small piece of 1/4" plate (or something similar) to what I was welding and attached my clamp to it. After I'm done, I knock it off and grind the spot flush with a flap disc.
    Dynasty 350DX
    Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
    MM 350P
    MM Passport Plus
    Spectrum 375 Extreme
    08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Good idea, but this is when I'm building fence, so I'm moving a lot. I've also tried putting a C clamps on the pipe then grounding on it. Does not work well either.
      NorthridgeFabrications.com

Comment

Originally posted by BryanDowdy View Post
        Good idea, but this is when I'm building fence, so I'm moving a lot. I've also tried putting a C clamps on the pipe then grounding on it. Does not work well either.
        If you need mobility like that, I might just get one of the large capacity Vice Grip locking pliers (the deep, rounded jaw kind) and modify it. Remove the coating on the jaws and where you attach the cable and weld away. Might get a little hot but if you are moving that much it should work just fine.
        Dynasty 350DX
        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
        MM 350P
        MM Passport Plus
        Spectrum 375 Extreme
        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

Originally posted by KB Fabrications View Post
          If you need mobility like that, I might just get one of the large capacity Vice Grip locking pliers (the deep, rounded jaw kind) and modify it. Remove the coating on the jaws and where you attach the cable and weld away. Might get a little hot but if you are moving that much it should work just fine.
          Exactly what I was going to suggest. Just clamp your ground to the vice grip head and move the vice grips along.
          hre

Comment

Weld a bolt on the grips or clamp and bolt the ground cable directly to it.

Comment

Weld a bolt on the grips or clamp and bolt the ground cable directly to it.
              I have the same setup in the shop at the farm for other reasons, but do so for the same results.

Good question and great responses.

Comment

Bryan
                I have a few magnetic clamps that really work well.
                Bulldog
                5 Passport Pluses
                2 MM 212's
                MM 210
                MM 251 MIA
                MM 350 P w/Python
                Syncrowave 250
                w/ tig runner
                Trailblazer 302
                12RC w/meters
                Spectrum 1000
                Spectrum 2050
                2 Black BWEs
                Joker BWE
                Star & stripe BWE Digital
                2 star & stripe xlix's

REAL TRUCKS RATTLE
                CUMMINS BABY

Comment

western makes a real nice heavy duty magnetic groung clamp with on/off switch they have been selling real good

Comment

ground clamp

I use a pipeline ground which has 6 magnets on it(very strong magnets)
                    and an arm that goes up and comes back down into the bevel, works very
                    well. I do have a picture of it on my rig pics in welding rig pics thread.
                    In a pinch if you take a piece of pipe(what ever size your welding on)
                    and cut a coupon out of it ( 3-4" wide) then cut along the side(so you now
                    have a c shape) then weld a tab, or what I do is weld a bolt on to it then
                    I put an end on my cable then I tighten my cable onto it with a nut. then
                    you just push the c shape coupon onto the pie and your good to go.
                    works well pipelining but sometimes it can leave a small arc spot on the
                    pipe but much cheaper then a pipeline ground($185) If your not sure what I am trying to say(canadian eh) then send me a reply and I might send you a pic if I can find one.
                    DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                    PIPEPRO 304
                    TO MANY TOOLS
                    JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                    rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                    and easily upset
                    go flames go

Comment

Dan, I found a non-magnetic one that looks liek a eprosn could make fairly easily http://www.ipec-ltd.com/cwe/groundclamps.htm
                      hre

Comment

ground cable

Originally posted by Coalsmoke View Post
                        Dan, I found a non-magnetic one that looks liek a eprosn could make fairly easily http://www.ipec-ltd.com/cwe/groundclamps.htm
                        Looks like it might work well with the big inch stuff, Then a guy could hang you remote and grinders off of it. I like the pipeline ground I have cause its
                        quick and easy, the magnets work well even on yellow jacket, Some of the pipe has that thick black or grey "insulation"(I can't spell) where the one I
                        use doesn't work worth crap on that stuff, that one you showed me would work great I'd like to sit with you and chat about welding and have
                        a jack and coke with you someday( sorry don't see that happening soon)
                        We could shoot the **** and get into some good stories. I don't know
                        if your girl should come though, isn't she good with a gun
                        she would give me a 500 yard start then pick me off I am sure of it
                        If your ever around Okotoks I'd have a big thick Alberta AAA beef rib-eye
                        for you(love that Alberta beef) and my wife is good with a gun but your
                        alright after 250 yards
                        DODGE 1 TON 6.7
                        PIPEPRO 304
                        TO MANY TOOLS
                        JUST WELDING IN CIRCLES
                        rig welders are like wheelbarrows hard to push around
                        and easily upset
                        go flames go

Comment

Find an old maybe Rigid pipe cutter or similar....digs in through scale and paint.
                          Nick
                          Miller 252 Mig
                          Miller Cricket XL
                          Millermatic 150 Mig
                          Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
                          2-O/A outfits
                          Jet Lathe and Mill
                          Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
                          DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
                          Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
                          20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press
                          Propane Forge
                          60" X 60" router/plasma table

www.youtube.com/watch?v=jTu7wicVCmQ
                          Vist my site: www.nixstuff.com
                          and check out some of my ironwork and other stuff

Comment

I usually just make a hook out of flat stock and hang it on the pipe, and ground to the hook.

you can also weld two small pieces of channel to the anvil and pad of a C clamp, the open sides of the channel facing each other- that allows clamping to a curved surface. bolt the ground cable to it, or clamp the ground to the C clamp.

I've made ground clamps out of metal spring clips- the medium and large sizes, the ones that look like a big metal clothes pin.

Comment

Cheap c -clamp

I use a cheap canadian tire c-clamp and weld two peices of stainless angle too the pads cheap clamps bexcause they are are cast steel instead of cast iron and snap your clamp onto them
                              smokin ana grinnin for 20 years
                              Owner MARKS MOBILE WELDING
                              trailblazer 302
                              hobart suitcase mig
                              miller 30a al spool gun
                              laramy plastic welder
                              brocco cutter
                              pipe beveler
                              all walter hand tools

Comment

Working...
                              X