belt sander/disk sander combo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• belt sander/disk sander combo

Would a craftsman belt/disk sander bevel the edges of steel? What other uses would a machine like that have in a shop?

If you get a combination belt/disc sander... Save up and buy a decent one , with enough power.. those cheapies will stall out with the slightest load applied.. takes forever to get anything done..

Maybe im just spoiled with the 12" disc , 6x48" belt sander we have at work.. but that machine works great and doesnt stall out.

*edit.. forgot to add... you will get a lot of use out of one of these machines.. i use them to finish brackets.. bevel edges.. removing the burr from tube ends before/during fitting , sharpening tungsten ..the list goes on and on.. thats why i say get a good one the first time.

Comment

I have the harbor freight and I love it

Comment

I have a craftsman (before crapman) 8" disk/2" belt combo with a 1 hp motor. It works great but I really don't use it much, handier to just pick up the DeWalt 28402 grinder with a 60 grit flaper mounted thats hanging on the bench.
        Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
        Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
        Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
        Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I picked up a Sears 4x36 belt disk combo for $25.00 at a yard sale. And it does lack the power. It is very easy to stall. I only use it to square and flatten the ends of exh tubing and shape 1/8 thick stock for brackets.
          It barely gets me by. If it wasnt so cheap I wouldnt have bought it.
          Price

mm135
          HTP 201 invertig

Comment

I got this one from Wilke Machine. Its only a 1" belt but that works good for most of the work I do. Its not the best out there by any means but its not bad, I noticed the price went up conciderably. I don't know who actually makes it but its the exact same one Grizzly sells and I'm sure it probably goes under other names as well.
            http://www.wilkemachinery.com/defaul...skudatarq=2709
            To all who contribute to this board.
            My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
            Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
            Miller Syncrowave 250
            Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Originally posted by papasloan View Post
              I picked up a Sears 4x36 belt disk combo for $25.00 at a yard sale. And it does lack the power. It is very easy to stall. I only use it to square and flatten the ends of exh tubing and shape 1/8 thick stock for brackets.
              It barely gets me by. If it wasnt so cheap I wouldnt have bought it.
              Not sure about your Sears model, but mine has a low torque setting. Just change the wiring around, like going from 120-volt to 240. It just gives the motor more power, without going to 240-volt.
              Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by burninbriar
                I got this one from Wilke Machine. Its only a 1" belt but that works good for most of the work I do. Its not the best out there by any means but its not bad, I noticed the price went up conciderably. I don't know who actually makes it but its the exact same one Grizzly sells and I'm sure it probably goes under other names as well.
                http://www.wilkemachinery.com/defaul...skudatarq=2709
                Thats a nice looking sander for the money. Here is a picture of the craftsman, but I am not sure if they make this one anymore.
                Attached Files
                Regards, George

Comment

it looks like a grinder powering two sanders........could be causing it to suck?

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown View Post
                    Thats a nice looking sander for the money. Here is a picture of the craftsman, but I am not sure if they make this one anymore.
                    I've got the same sander. I think you are George about it being discontinued. The belts are also betting rare at Sears. May have to McMaster-Carr or some other alternate source in the future.
                    Dennis

Thermal Arc 185-TSW
                    Millermatic Challenger 172
                    VictorO/A
                    Atlas Craftsman 12 by 24 Lathe
                    Esab PCM-875
                    Wholesale Tool Mill-Drill

Comment

Originally posted by tailshaft56 View Post
                      I've got the same sander. I think you are George about it being discontinued. The belts are also betting rare at Sears. May have to McMaster-Carr or some other alternate source in the future.
                      HF used to the the 1" belts and they still might, the 2" ones are a bit harder to come by though. I have never had any problem with lack of power with this one since I have had it.
                      Regards, George

Comment

Here is a shot of my Wilton 6" X 48" belt/12 disc machine. It was a little spendy but it is a beast and I can't bog it down. I use it for grinding and beveling mostly. I use 40 and 60 grit blue Norton belts.
                        Dynasty 350DX
                        Dynasty 200DX TigRunner
                        MM 350P
                        MM Passport Plus
                        Spectrum 375 Extreme
                        08' Trailblazer 302

Comment

very nice works really good.Solid, well designed, and works like a champ. The belt does slip a bit when I pushed it, but when I let the 6502 do the work, it does it quite well. The tracking adjustment for the belt works great, and I've only had to adjust it once, and the belt tracks time after time. WEN includes an Allen wrench to remove the guard, and I wish the would have provided a place on the unit to store it. Even so, this tool gets 5 stars from me for great quality and utility at a very affordable price.

Comment

??????

Comment

Soooo, guess that "missing link" is REAL??!?

Comment

Working...
                              X