No announcement yet.

Tunsten types and their characteristics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One thing I've noticed about articles on tungsten is that they almost always talk about its use with inveters and seldom mention the transformer machines.
    To all who contribute to this board.
    My sincere thanks , Pete.

Pureox OA
    Westinghouse 300 amp AC stick
    Miller Syncrowave 250
    Hexacon 250 watt solder iron

Comment

Yea, what’s worse is when they get into “square wave” (which usually I think they really mean “inverter”) and someone like me with a synchrowave (square wave transformer TIG).

FWIW, I have some pure, zirconiated, 1.5% lanthanated, 2% thoriated and some of diamond ground “ivory” (tri mix rare earth).

On steel, the 2% thoriated and the tri mix are about tied… sometimes I think one works better then the other, but it’s not by a significant amount, they are virtually interchangeable and I probably couldn’t tell you which one is in the torch, the question is one is slightly radioactive, doubtful if it’s enough to have any real effect on you no matter what you do with it, and the second is probably 50% more in cost then the first. The 1.5% lantanated is awful, it’s supposed to be an even replacement for the 2% thoriated, and it is not. I literally probably get under a minute or 2 of weld time on it before the tip balls and I have an unstable arc. From what I can tell _I think_ the 2% lantenated should be better but I don’t how for sure, I haven’t tried it and can’t see to get any locally.

I haven’t done nearly as much with aluminum, but I have tried the pure, zirconiated (these 2 are the traditional choice for aluminum) and the 1.5% lantenated. Pure is what is normally used and I just didn’t like it at all… “messy,” difficult to control arc. I’m not sure that I see _that_ much improvement with the zirconiated, which is supposed to be the premium answer for aluminum welding. It does have an ever so slightly more controlled arc, but that is about it.

The 1.5% lantenated was actually really nice, surprisingly nice considering how much I hated it on steel. It actually didn’t ball on aluminum even though aluminum is supposed to put more heat into the tungsten and cause it to be more likely to ball, and the point gave it a much more controlled arc.
      Mark
      (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
      Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
      1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
      BFH

Comment

I have a sample to the 2% lanathaned coming so I will give that a try. I think I am also going to see if I can det some 1/16" to try. All I have used thus far is 3/32.
        SolidWorks Premium
        SolidWorks Simulation Pro
        MM210 w/3035
        TA185TSW
        DG Piranha II
        Sharpie Deluxe
        Stars & Stripes BWE
        Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

Silverback
          you should realy look into getting some 2% lanthanated. i have found it much better than the 1.5%, big diference there when it comes to handleing the heat.
          as for the raideoactive not being a problem, dont fool your self into believing that. it is bad stuff. it is even suposed to be lept away from open cuts when its in a solid stick form, and the dust from grinding getting into your lungs is way bad. if i had to use it i would lonly grind it in a closed dedicated grinder like the peronha 3 or one of the other closed systems made for it. it is well documented to be bad stuff. get some 2% lanthanated and chuck the thoriated .
          katiebo
          the 1/16 tung is great for fine controle work, i realy liked it on some thin aluminum, great arc controle.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
            the 1/16 tung is great for fine controle work, i realy liked it on some thin aluminum, great arc controle.
            Hay James, last I heard from you on tungten, I think you were just useing the 3/32". I see you tryed some smaller size. For as little welding time I get in, I notice a differance in tungsten size. (I think)

Pureox OA
            Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

i do mostly use the 3/32 but wanted to try the 1/16 on some thin stuff to see if it would be werth keeping some on hand. it defenetly has a place. wile most of the stuff i do is fine with 3/32 i still realy liked the 1/16 on the thin aluminum and may well use it when i get a chance to start my TIG cart, just to keep the beads small and pretty so i can show them off insted of grinding them off. we shal see what happens, the tube might be a bit thick for the 1/16 not shore yet. i'll have to do a little playing.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

The 1/16" is a lot less expensive also, and its not that big a deal to switch over. As long as you don't put more amps through it than it can handle, it still lasts fairly good, unless you dip it in the puddle, witch is easyer to do on thin stuff since the arc is so small.

Pureox OA
                Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

yep i have some 2% lanthanated and i think maybee one in 1.5% lanthanated i'll have to look threw what i have but am pretty shore i have enough to do my cart with should i stay with that idea.
                  i've gotten real good at staying out of the puddle. my welds are not looking to shabby eather, i'm still not real fast but the look is getting much better and as i do not have to go fast for making $$ i'm ok with still being slow.
                  thanks for the help
                  ......or..........
                  hope i helped
                  sigpic
                  JAMES

Comment

Originally posted by fun4now View Post
                    i'm still not real fast but the look is getting much better and as i do not have to go fast for making $$ i'm ok with still being slow.
                    Hah, I know what you mean, if I relied on welding speed to feed the family, we would starve to death.

Pureox OA
                    Miller Syncrowave 250

Comment

Update

Well I resolved the problem. It wasn't the tungsten or the machine. It was ME. Lots of practice that last 2 weeks has done wonders. My welds aren't perfect but they are improving. Thanks for all the help guys!
                      SolidWorks Premium
                      MM210 w/3035
                      TA185TSW
                      DG Piranha II
                      Sharpie Deluxe
                      Stars & Stripes BWE
                      Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

its all about seat time.
                        thanks for the help
                        ......or..........
                        hope i helped
                        sigpic
                        JAMES

Comment

You ain't kiddin!
                          SolidWorks Premium
                          MM210 w/3035
                          TA185TSW
                          DG Piranha II
                          Sharpie Deluxe
                          Stars & Stripes BWE
                          Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

I’m curious, how much is “a lot of practice” and how much shielding gas have you gone through? The reason that I ask is that I’ve been doing the same, a lot of practice and I seem to be going through gas in no time (the whole 80cu bottle in it looks like 7 hours of welding according to the hour meter on the welder)
                            Mark
                            (aka: Silverback, WS6 TA, JYDog, 83 Crossfire TA, mpikas, mmp...)
                            Synchrowave 180 SD | MillerMatic 211MVP + Spoolmate | Hobart Handler 135 | Everlast Power Plasma 50
                            1960 Bridgeport J-head | Grizzly 10x22 | HF bandsaw | Rigid 4.5” angle grinder (+2 cheapie HF ones)
                            BFH

Comment

Well I guess that "a lot of practice" is probably relative to the amount of time you have available to practice. But to answer your question I have been practicing 1-2 hours a day. As far as argon is concerned that is a little tricky as I got a refill I think about 2 weeks ago. However, in that time I have run through 1100+ psi in a 125cf cylinder (fresh fills have about 2100 psi). I run 8-12 cfh using a gas lense. Yes you run through argon quickly. Especially if you are running short beads (remember that post flow comsumtion as a percentage of weld time).

Hope this helps.
                              SolidWorks Premium
                              MM210 w/3035
                              TA185TSW
                              DG Piranha II
                              Sharpie Deluxe
                              Stars & Stripes BWE
                              Blue Optrel Satellite

Comment

Originally posted by Silverback View Post
                                I’m curious, how much is “a lot of practice” and how much shielding gas have you gone through? The reason that I ask is that I’ve been doing the same, a lot of practice and I seem to be going through gas in no time (the whole 80cu bottle in it looks like 7 hours of welding according to the hour meter on the welder)
                                Mark, I'd say that's not bad at all.. If you're doing some welding the gas doesn't last too long. I only keep the 300-and-some sized tanks because anything smaller is frustrating.

Comment

Working...
                                X