Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding rigs -- Details

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That looks like a Champion comressor sitting up there.

Comment

Actually, the name on it is Gardner-Denver, it's all one and the same now, there was a merger a few years ago. Only difference now it's grey paint, not green.

Comment

calweld question?

Calweld,All that stuff in the open box must get reained on or do you put it away when bad weather is coming?Also is there any drain in that box won,t it fill with water?

Comment

I have a Champion in the shop and this spring, I bought a new Champion to replace an older one on my truck
          Attached Files

Comment

I bought a pump and the parts, the eng I had and put my own together. Space was limited and I put the tanks under the truck. All the controls run from the drivers side. The 3rd pic is the unloader valve, sends air to the head unloaders.
            Attached Files

Comment

I have a Champion in the shop and this spring, I bought a new Champion to replace an older one on my truck
              The Champion/Gardner-Denver is a nice compressor. At least out here, it's probably the most common unit on service trucks. You've got the Honda engine?? Around here, the Kohler seems to be common. If anybody has a late-model Kohler on one of these, find and disconnect the oil-pressure kill switch. It doesn't build oil pressure fast enough, you have to start it two or three times before it keeps running. The older engines didn't have this, no problems as long as you check your oil.

Calweld,All that stuff in the open box must get reained on or do you put it away when bad weather is coming?Also is there any drain in that box won,t it fill with water?
              It's not exactly a watertight box. There's holes in the bed up front for water to drain out of, the sides are just 1/4"x 12" flat welded to the bed, and only go up to the above-bed boxes. Feeders and grinders (sometimes chopsaws and skilsaws) stay out on the bed rain or shine, it's never really seemed to cause any problems. Sure, water gets in the motors, but you just plug it in and run it for a second, blows it all out I've never seen any water get into an LN-25 or Miller 12VS as long as they are kept upright. I do bring the plasma in, not taking any chances with that one.

I bought a pump and the parts, the eng I had and put my own together
              That's something like what was on the truck when I bought it, but this one took a lot of room and was heavy. Old cast-iron Kohler, huge compressor, made good air, but both were deteriorating. Couldn't see myself spending the time and money fixing it, so it got replaced. It probably would be worth rebuilding the old compressor and doing something with it, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Comment

Hmm,,, I dont recall how that works, I remember at first the unloader valve was kind of sticky and as pricey as it was I thought of returning it but it cleared up with a little use. I will have to look, I think its all internal to the valve. I probably could have located the valve near the comp to save some minor piping but this is the way I did it, I set this up with the intent of running some big air guns but I dropped out of the oilfield shortly after I set it up. missed a really nice IR 1" gun at a pawn shop for 100$.

Comment

Coal,
                  The unloader valve is supposed to dump the air from your valves when the pressure has dropped enough to call for more air.

Comment

No it doesn't. There are two adjustments on an unloader valve, one is cut in, the other cutout. if they don't get set right, your comp won't cycle properly.

Comment

It would be nice to have a walk-around of a pipe rig . . . I have no interest in doing that type of work, but I think it would be very educational . . . maybe some ideas could be incorporated into other types of rigs.

Anybody????

Comment

Originally posted by calweld View Post
                        It would be nice to have a walk-around of a pipe rig . . . I have no interest in doing that type of work, but I think it would be very educational . . . maybe some ideas could be incorporated into other types of rigs.

Anybody????
                        I agree. I have always admired a nice pipe rig, they have a lot of personality.

Comment

Canadian pipeliner

I am new to this site and was wanting to send pics of my welding truck but not sure how to do it. I thought I'd show you how Canadian pipeliners do it.
                          I have a 2003 Dodge 1 ton cummins diesel with a 304 Pipepro.

Comment

Welcome Dan. Under where you click to submit youre post, there is "additional options". Click "manage attachments" and a window will come up. Click browse to find youre pic, then open and upload. Youre pic has to be sized to less than 100 kb. Microsoft has a free resizer thats real easy to install and use, you can probably find the link to it by useing the seach function hear and type in resizer. Funfornow put it in as a topic a while ago.

Comment

Welcome, would love to see your pictures!
                              After you open the reply window, scroll down a bit to "manage attachments". A new window will open, hit "browse" and you can search your computer files for the pictures you want, then upload. Use a picture resizer if necessary to get them below 100kb.

Comment

Here's the link for the resizer.
                                http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/d...powertoys.mspx

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.