No announcement yet.

ER70S2 Vs ER70S6 Tig Filler

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grab some mig wire and weld with that it is usually S6 and form an opinion.

Comment

I used S-6 for years assembling 4130 Chrome-molly in making parts for homebuilt aircraft. I found it wet out better than -2 and the resulting weld was cleaner particularly when all the mil-scale was not removed from the area to be welded. Every professional aviation welder I showed it to commented, "Why have I been using -2 all these years?"

I actually started exactly the way Ronnie suggested. The way -6 performed in the MIG, I thought it might work well in TIG. I had to use cut pieces of MIG wire at first because my Welding Supply vendor said there was no such thing as cut lengths of 1/16" 70S-6 (Nearly 40 years ago). After several weeks his supplier found it. It did everything I thought it would do, and the primary desire was easier to weld tube with light mil-scale.

Now the question I came for, I am now, after being retired for 12 years, fabricating chrome-molly suspension parts for race-cars. Are there any known problems with -6 over -2 in highly stress non-heat treated chrome-molly parts. In other words, if the -2 works, is there any down side in failure strength, elasticity, and deformation strength, using -6? BTW, air-frames are more lightly stressed, in flight, that are race-cars on the track..
      Last edited by Bruce Frank; 11-20-2017, 11:20 PM.

Comment

For the stress reason you stated, I use
        er80-sd2 for chromoly. I don't do a tremendous amount of work in 4130, but it's all roll cage, suspension components and wheelie bar stuff on drag cars. I honestly have never run beads on scrap comparing er70-s2, s6 or 80-sd2. It was recommended to me by some experienced guys and I didn't have any trouble with it so I just stick with it.

Comment

I don't do any of that, but have listened to guys talk about it. ER80-SD2, like Ryan said, seems to be the very popular consensus.

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
            I don't do any of that, but have listened to guys talk about it. ER80-SD2, like Ryan said, seems to be the very popular consensus.
            totally agreed with this, it also seems to be to be very popular consensus! ER80-SD2 really seems to be very good so it is popular for reasons!

Comment

S6 might have a hair more carbon, depending. Whether or not that makes any difference in hardness of the weld deposit, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruce Frank View Post

Now the question I came for, I am now, after being retired for 12 years, fabricating chrome-molly suspension parts for race-cars. Are there any known problems with -6 over -2 in highly stress non-heat treated chrome-molly parts. In other words, if the -2 works, is there any down side in failure strength, elasticity, and deformation strength, using -6? BTW, air-frames are more lightly stressed, in flight, that are race-cars on the track..

Do a search.
                We had a couple of threads, years back, about using ANY tig on moly tubing vs. oxy acetylene. Loads of discussion on this. Some what centered around John Force's funny cars having major failures leading to catastrophic results. Mainly how aircraft guys would never try to get away with what racing guys do industry wide. Good stuff. Some of the best input, although no real conclusion if I remember correctly. It's been in the back of my mind ever since.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

IIRC, oxy-acetylene is preferred for airframe construction because (I guess) it's easier to PWHT the joints with the gas torch, so they don't cool down as fast. What I got reading between the lines was that TIG, because it put less heat into the joint, was more prone to cracking later on because the substrate would, in effect, "quench" the weld joints (unless you post-weld heated them), making them less ductile.

Comment

Working...
                  X