Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding laws

Hey all,

I am having problem with neighbour, and was wondering if anyone might know what the laws are in Virginia, Fairfax Co, for welding at home. I live in suburban house, detached.

I want to make sure i don't get hit with a ticket or worse...

thanks.

H.

In ny but never heard of a law against welding, call your town and ask best way to know imo. Only thing I can think of is a local ordernance.

Comment

Originally posted by H2o
      Hey all,

I am having problem with neighbour, and was wondering if anyone might know what the laws are in Virginia, Fairfax Co, for welding at home. I live in suburban house, detached.

I want to make sure i don't get hit with a ticket or worse...

thanks.

H.
      In most places, it's use specific. Here, it's OK to weld in your garage, but not if you are running a wleidng business - then you have a lot of other things to comply with, like zoning, etc.

Check with the building authority for your locale. If you live in an unicorporated area, it will probasby be your County Building Official. In town, the city building department.

Hank
      ...from the Gadget Garage
      Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
      Handler 210 w/DP3035
      TA185TSW
      Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

Repeating what hank said.It`s usually zoning specific.Here I can weld in my garage for myself but not for customers,even though I have a permit from my municipality to have my office in my house.I`m also alllowed to have a 2`x4`sign in my yard but as stated earlier I can`t weld for customers here.So thats why my work is portable.I have a friend that lives in Richmond and does contractor work but never asked him about running a biz out of his garage.

Comment

as long as its a hobby and you are abiding by the noise ordanence in your town you *should* be fine. I think that if you go talking to the town you will just end up getting yourself in trouble.

LET THEM COME TO YOU.....its the way that it works now a days -

Comment

I know in the county I live in you are suppose to notify your electric company so if you start dimming lights or put interference in the lines they know where to look to fix the problem.

Comment

What exactly is your nieghbour complaining about?

Comment

Originally posted by GARAGEGADGETS
                I know in the county I live in you are suppose to notify your electric company so if you start dimming lights or put interference in the lines they know where to look to fix the problem.
                Most electric utilities and cooperative has service rules and regulations in effect limiting the size of motors allowed on the system typically to 5hp and sometimes smaller without permission of the utility.

The reason for this is that the residential service meter cannot measure the powerfactor as they call it. The power factor is a measure of the disruption
                of the 'cycle' feature of AC power ( phase shift) due to the rotating field of an AC motor.
                Commercial accounts typically have metering that will measure the power factor, (which the customer can correct by purchasing capacitor banks), and if the customer doesn't correct it they get stuck in a penalty box that makes them wish they had.

This is not an issue with resistence loads, but the intermittant characteristic of welding can cause voltage fluxuations which will disrupt voltage sensitive equipment such as computers implying that large buzz boxes may not be neighborhood friendly.

Also tradesmen are constantly on the edge of the home occupation issues.
                Residential zones often prohibit commerical activity which may even be pervasive enough to prohibit parking a commerical vehicle (i.e. welding rig) in your driveway. Particuarlar targets of enforcement in our area have been owner operator truck drivers who want to take their truck home at night.
                rvannatta
                www.vannattabros.com
                Miller Bobcat 225G
                Miller Big 40 ('79 gasser)<gone>
                Miller 375 Plasma cutter<gone>
                Lincoln Vantage 400
                Lincoln Pro-Cut 80

Comment

I started a welding business 6 years ago in a building that had a radiator shop in it for 40 years. The zoning sent me a letter stating i could not weld in the area i was in which was commericial. So i had the zoning changed and now it includes the whole city. Now i am back at my home shop doing the same work and nobody complains, but i can't have a sign up ...Bob
                  Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
                  http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I may be the bearer of bad news for you. When I was there last, in '91, I had a neighbor try the same on me. I was off the Parkway and Rugby Rd, near Chantilly/Fairfax line. There is supposedly an ordinance that prohibits any welding in residences...supposedly. I say it like that because I was in the process of trying to get some kind of confirmation when I had to move here. I never got my answer. You may want to check it out with the county....but don't give them any info about yourself. If you do, they are bound to check you out...you know how they are in Fairfax County...anything to squeeze another buck or hundred out of you. May be online???? Dunno. My SIL works for a lawfirm in Alexandria...maybe they know. If I get a chance I'll ring her up at work.
                    Don

'06 Trailblazer 302
                    '06 12RC feeder
                    Super S-32P feeder

HH210 & DP3035 spool gun
                    Esab Multimaster 260
                    Esab Heliarc 252 AC/DC

Comment

Thanks All

THANKS everyone. I will call fairfax to find out. we are building an addition that they don't like basically because it blocks their view. long story not really worth discussing. btw our addition is a whole lot more descrete than theirs.

anyway, i am not doing any commercial work. just fun and for friends on their rigs.

Comment

personaly i would not call. if ya do they would know. in a way just play dumb, "gee i did not know".

personaly i doubt there is much of any laws or city ordernance. id burn rods alll day, i would not wait for there ok for you too weld.... HECK i would not even tell them. wait for them to come to you crying about it. if your doing hobby stuff then what harm are you doing? just be a good boy dont start any house, garage, outbuilding fires, etc, etc and you shall be good. as stated as long as your not running a business there should be no problem.

welding bans when it harms others is different. like texas has had burn bans for a while now. there id see some restriction. but on a driveway with hopefuly nice green grass around doubt there would be much safety issue. if need be make a few sheet metal sheilds to set in the work area when the arc rays become a issue.

"if theres a will theres a way"
                        "One way or another"

steps off soapbox. just my view. (getting flame suit ready, if needed )
                        78' Miller AEAD-200LE
                        08' Miller Matic 180 Autoset.

Comment

Make sure that you screen the arc from view in any direction. That can cause some problems anywhere.

If you live in a covenanted sub division take a look at the covenant and see what is restricted. Another source would be the zoning commission. Use a phone other than your own. Big brother has big eyes.

Never thought I would ever have to say that...

Comment

Originally posted by moe1942

..... Use a phone other than your own. Big Brother has big eyes.

Never thought I would ever have to say that...

*Sigh*

Amen to those statements, brother. Been watching it coming on for years now, and I thought 'never in America'... not so much. Orwells probably laughing his tail off right now

*off soapbox mode*

Also, I agree with the others comments about the Don't Ask/Don't Tell/Don't Know. Remember, it's the gopher that pops his head outa the hole that usually gets whacked...

Comment

I agree that you're best to do what you will, and not let anybody know what you're doing. The codes officers will not be getting search warrants to come in your house.

Document all the things your neighbor does. At some point, you may want to have an attorney send them a letter asking them to stop the harassment.

Comment

Working...
                              X