No announcement yet.

Maleing radius bends on a standard leaf break

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Some more food for thought... I was also hoping to build mine such that it could use other "tooling" to turn it into an English wheel. I don't think that this would be too difficult to do. The pressure could be applied just like a typical english wheel, through the lower die with an acme threaded rod. In this same manner, I think I could also make a set of dies to turn it into a rolling machine. Maybe one set of dis could be used to roll sheet stock, and a different attachment to roll tubing.

My machine could end up like a Smith workshop (is that the name?). Again, for my environment, this would be perfectly acceptable to tear down a setup to do a different process.

That bracket looks great. That is the sort of stuff I can envision needing to do, plus long bends in thin sheet stock (fuel tanks, angle, etc). On the lower die, yeah the size is important and related to the tonnage required for bending. Are you air or bottom forming? Bottom forming requires a lot more pressure.

I don't know if I'm air forming or bottom forming. When I bend some Aluminum 6061 T6 for box shapes etc. I use a top die with a radius since I have heard 6061 likes to crack. It still could be cracking, but I have not seen it with old and half blind eyes. I did a dye test on one just to check and it was OK. Mostly, with the steel I bend I am just shooting for an angle and really don't care how I get it. BTW, these dies will overbend a 90 so care has to be taken as it's easier to bend a little more than unbend. To check a bend and bend a little more, I just back off the press just enough to slide the piece out the side, check with a square, replace, and try to go farther if not bent enough. It takes a little practice to understand the machine, dies, and metal being bent, as each may have a little different springback etc.

The English wheel idea would probably work, but would be limited be the press uprights. Also, with hydraulics, even if the cylinder bottomed, there always seems to be a little play or give, so not sure how that would compare to something purely mechanical.

Don't know what to say about the roller idea. I guess if space is limited, or if a person is so inclined, there is almost nothing that can't be done.

Picture of Aluminum box.

Attached Files