Exhaust Fans for Welding Room

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhaust Fans for Welding Room

Iím in the final planning stages for my new shop and how I want the welding room set up. Two things I want are an overhead beam for lifting and some exhaust fans. Iíve got the builder all set on the overhead beam, but havenít figured out the exhaust fans.

I could go to the local farm supply and buy some basic exhaust fans with built in, self closing louvers. Those would be good for basic exhaust of welding smoke and general ventilation (Iím in Texas where it gets a little HOT).

But I keep thinking some explosion proof fans would be cool as Iím sure Iíll end up painting in there at some point. I would have to arrange some type of pre-filter to prevent the buildup of overspray and some intake filters. My main problem is I canít find a good source for them. Everywhere I look, they are gosh awful expensive.

I keep looking on ebay, but Iíll need two of them and finding a pair is difficult on ebay. Anyone know a good source for quality paint booth fans at a decent price?
    Millermatic 35
    Miller TB302G
    Ellis 1800
    Smith & Victor Torches
    Optrel Satellite
    Arcair K4000
    Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
    Home Made Welding Trailer

Gary,

Any fan driven with a TEFC motor should be fine for the welding application. If spray painting is going to be a part of your business, I'd definitely install a spray booth. Paint solvent, thinner, and overspray vapors won't mix well in a welding environment. Be safe, not sorry!

Hank
    ...from the Gadget Garage
    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
    Handler 210 w/DP3035
    TA185TSW
    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

some thing to keep in mind if you are going to paint in there is the over spray goes every where i paint in mine and even with the exost fan running i need to cover every thing with drop cloths to keep paint off it, and thats just with spray can paint
      i got my exost fan from TSC its just a round fan in a tube no louvers and built into the wall with a door on the out side to close it in the cold when not in use.

you can see the fan in the left side of the pic, it works realy good.
      Attached Files
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

My new shop will have a dedicated welding room of 25'x38'. Roll the welders out of the room, close the door and paint. I'm not painting cars for a living, so I don't need a real paint booth. Just some explosion proof fans and lights. I guess I need to contact some paint booth manufacturers and see if I can get the fans and lights from them because other than Graingers, I can't seem to find any sources and certainly not any discount ones.
        Millermatic 35
        Miller TB302G
        Ellis 1800
        Smith & Victor Torches
        Optrel Satellite
        Arcair K4000

Comment

Originally posted by hankj
          Gary,

Any fan driven with a TEFC motor should be fine for the welding application. If spray painting is going to be a part of your business, I'd definitely install a spray booth. Paint solvent, thinner, and overspray vapors won't mix well in a welding environment. Be safe, not sorry!

Hank
          Painting & welding in the same room isn't a good idea, totally incompatible!
          find somewhere else to do your painting!
          Syncrowave 180 SD
          MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
          1971 Roughneck 1e
          Stars-n-Stripes BWE
          Optrel Satellite OSE
          ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
          Lincoln 200SA Diesel
          O/A Set
          Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
          1.5 kVA Spot Welder
          Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
          My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
            Painting & welding in the same room isn't a good idea, totally incompatible!
            find somewhere else to do your painting!
            I don't understand why it would be that dangerous. I won't be welding and painting at the same time.
            Millermatic 35
            Miller TB302G
            Ellis 1800
            Smith & Victor Torches
            Optrel Satellite
            Arcair K4000

Comment

besides the exploding isue, your welding room will get coverd with grinding dust that will find its way onto your nice new wet paint, grinding dust just plain goes every where and in a room of 25'x38' i just dont see you getting it clean enough to get a good paint spray.
              cut out a section seal it off and make it a paint booth only. it realy is not the 2 things that would share well. if you have that kind of space, dedicate it and you will be happyer in the long run.
              thanks for the help
              ......or..........
              hope i helped
              sigpic
              feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
              summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
              JAMES

Comment

I unerstand the grinding dust issue! Thanks for your input.
                Millermatic 35
                Miller TB302G
                Ellis 1800
                Smith & Victor Torches
                Optrel Satellite
                Arcair K4000

Comment

Gary,
                  If you just want to capture some overspray from occasional painting you can buy a couple of 20 inch box fans at a discount strore and put a 24 by 24 inch fiberglass furnace filter in front of the fans. When I paint in my shop, I set the items to be painted on a piece of plywood on 2 saw horses and then position the 2 box fans behind the items. As I spray, the fans suck the overspray through the filters where it is collected. The fumes will still build up, but you can ventilate when you are done. You can also put a furnace filter infront of you permanent wall mounted exhaust fan to keep the overspray and dirt off of it.

Comment

Exhaust Fans

You should be able to find the fan your looking for at Grainger Supply,they are a wholesale distributor and have stores all over the U.S.. Or go on their web site www.grainger.com. Personally I use portable smoke eaters for welding smoke & fumes. I have seen where the blower assy from a old furnace as been used as exhaust fans.

Comment

Originally posted by GARAGEGADGETS
                      You should be able to find the fan your looking for at Grainger Supply,they are a wholesale distributor and have stores all over the U.S.. Or go on their web site www.grainger.com. Personally I use portable smoke eaters for welding smoke & fumes. I have seen where the blower assy from a old furnace as been used as exhaust fans.
                      Graingers is the first place I would look for this item. They know me by name at that store Still, they are expensive there.
                      Millermatic 35
                      Miller TB302G
                      Ellis 1800
                      Smith & Victor Torches
                      Optrel Satellite
                      Arcair K4000

Comment

Make sure you hire a qualified electrician to wire the explosion proof equipment that you are planning on buying. Ask them if they have done that type of work before.

BTW- Explosion proof eqipment and conduit fittings are expensive, no way around that part of the deal

Tim

Comment

Originally posted by garybdavis
                          My new shop will have a dedicated welding room of 25'x38'. Roll the welders out of the room, close the door and paint. I'm not painting cars for a living, so I don't need a real paint booth. Just some explosion proof fans and lights. I guess I need to contact some paint booth manufacturers and see if I can get the fans and lights from them because other than Graingers, I can't seem to find any sources and certainly not any discount ones.
                          There's more than one way to skin this cat! The danger comes from arc-producing equipment or static electricity arcing in an explosive atmosphere. I've done a lot of painting without a spray booth, just using a positive pressure ventilation technique. Open the door in one wall, set a good fan in it set to blow outside air into the room. Open a door or window at the other end. Keep the sparky stuff (air compressor motor, mainly) outside or in a closed room. With the fan running, pretty much anything airborne will blow out the opening in the other end of the room.

Of course, you have to clean up first so the input air isn't blowing dust and debris around your paint project, but strategically placed blocking, like a sheet of hardboard or plywood, keeps things under control. I've painted a couple of boats this way (in a garage [water heater turned off!]) without incident, and a LOT of small projects.

Unless you are production painting, you won't get enough junk in the atmosphere to reach the explosive limits. Use common sense, eliminate arc producing doodads, and all should be fine.

Hank
                          ...from the Gadget Garage
                          Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                          Handler 210 w/DP3035
                          TA185TSW
                          Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I have been looking at this issue myself lately since i want to paint my car in my garage. My tenative plan is to build a temp spray booth out of conduit or CREW and plastic sheet. I plan to turn my water heater off (gas) and isolate my air compressor somehow (undetermined). I plan to suck the air out of the booth using a swamp cooler (common here since it is so dry). In front of the cooler fan (squirrel cage, belt drive) I will mount filters, as well as in the intake to the room. I figure some good carbon filters along with course foam should do the trick. This way any material that does not get caught in the filter (such as vapors) goes through the squirrel cage and is never exposed to the motor (belt drive. These blowers are relatively inexpensive (hopefully free, all I need is a good blower assembly, don't need the water pan which usually rusts out), and blow A LOT of air. They are small, lightweight, and two speed.

Maybe this is an option for you, just permantently mount the blower in a wall of ceiling...
                            Joshua

Comment

Working...
                            X