Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Welding Rig Pictures

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What's the weight capacity of that wheel on the swingarm? Looks pretty squashed... Does the truck lean? I love the idea, though!

    Very organized on the inside!

    Comment


    • Yeah, On a bigger truck this setup would be killer. On the 1500 even with my suspention mods its marginal. The weight rating on the drop down wheel is 500lbs. Its plenty. I can lessen the weight it carries by turning the connecting rod handle. This helps when the ground is uneven. I really only need the wheel for getting the welders weight off and on the pin and using it for support and as a brake when the welder is swung out. The spindle more than handles the weight of the welder.

      I have added weight to the front of the truck to offset the added rear weight. Like I say. If I had a big block or diesel It would be super nice because the weight would already be up front. The 4X4 diesel has over 600lbs more weight up front than my small block 2 wheel drive. handling is VERY good. It was a risk I took when building this. I wasnt sure how the truck would react to that much rear weight. Its like driving a truck with a load of top-soil in the bed. Im pretty sure on a bigger truck you would hardly know its there. I have pretty much counteracted all the welders weight with having my torches and tanks forward of the wheels and adding some weight to the front of the truck. I dont feel any leaning of the truck. I dont even have heavy duty tiers on it yet. Its really stable and I get awesome wet traction.lol

      Comment


      • LOL.The wheel does look squashed in that pic. The silver part by the tier is a ring with a bunch of holes in it that was used as a brake. There were spring loaded pins that would slide in this ring and stop the wheel from turning.I didnt need that stuff so I removed all but the ring. The ring is only on that one side and is almost as big as the tier. It makes the tire look flat because it hides the real rim which is red.

        Comment


        • thought I would move this thread to the front. Looks like someone is looking for welding rig pics. I put pics of my pickup on here so I hope this helps you out.

          Comment


          • To TN

            Originally posted by TNredneck View Post
            here is my first truck.im working on the second,hope to have pics of it soon
            Cant open either??????,,,Jack

            Comment


            • Nice Job!!!!!!!

              Boy,,i bet you get some funny looks going down the road
              In Ct. out great state would have you with some kind of lights on the welder,,Looks goood,and that would of won,who would of ever thought,,,Great enginnering!!!!!!! ,Jack----Should get at least the most bang for the buck as of use of room,,,,,

              Comment


              • A blast from the past . . .

                It's been getting a little boring around here, thought I'd dig up this old thread and post this for everybody to see . . . Maybe this brings back memories for JT????

                This was an old welding rig I bought off an old guy (about 70 years old and retiring) about 20 years ago, when I got it everything was running, had a toolbox full of tools, bottles, torches, rack, cables, etc. Over the years, everything kinda migrated away, found better uses for everything. I made a new sheetmetal shroud for the welder, never got around to restoring everything else, but with a little work I'm sure I could fire the whole rig up, only real problem is brakes on the truck. This is a sweet welding machine, an old SA 200 from the early '50's, serial #A256498. Toolbox was originally right in front of the welder, bottles were on the running board just behind the cab. Cable extensions are inside of the round covers behind the rear axle, and welding rods were stored in the tailgate (hollow, with a hinged cover).
                Attached Files

                Comment


                • Originally posted by calweld View Post
                  It's been getting a little boring around here, thought I'd dig up this old thread and post this for everybody to see . . . Maybe this brings back memories for JT????

                  This was an old welding rig I bought off an old guy (about 70 years old and retiring) about 20 years ago, when I got it everything was running, had a toolbox full of tools, bottles, torches, rack, cables, etc. Over the years, everything kinda migrated away, found better uses for everything. I made a new sheetmetal shroud for the welder, never got around to restoring everything else, but with a little work I'm sure I could fire the whole rig up, only real problem is brakes on the truck. This is a sweet welding machine, an old SA 200 from the early '50's, serial #A256498. Toolbox was originally right in front of the welder, bottles were on the running board just behind the cab. Cable extensions are inside of the round covers behind the rear axle, and welding rods were stored in the tailgate (hollow, with a hinged cover).
                  Why not fix the brakes give every thing else a little TLC & show up on the approperate job with it for a little reaction value. I would.

                  Comment


                  • Oh, the first couple years I had it I used it, had a lot of fun with it. At this point, it's a matter of time and money, other priorities need to come first. Someday . . .

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by calweld View Post
                      Oh, the first couple years I had it I used it, had a lot of fun with it. At this point, it's a matter of time and money, other priorities need to come first. Someday . . .
                      Yeah & someday you will be as old as I am & it still wont be done, just like a few of my someday projects.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by lars66 View Post
                        Yeah & someday you will be as old as I am & it still wont be done, just like a few of my someday projects.
                        Oh, I've got plenty of those!!!! Just ask my wife!! I used to call it my "Five year plan", then it became the "Ten year plan", now we're working on the "Fifteen year plan".

                        Comment


                        • nice truck, i have one similer except a 1 pice front window. and its a GMC.
                          Coalsmoke
                          the corner windows were an option, kinda like electric windows when they first came out. but i think all trucks should have them, take out a huge blind spot. i just love mine ...some day i'll get her referbed.... ...some day.
                          Attached Files
                          thanks for the help
                          ......or..........
                          hope i helped
                          sigpic
                          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
                          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
                          JAMES

                          Comment


                          • setting up a rig

                            Hey Hawk looks like you have a chevy 1500 and I am trying to st up my truck. I have a 07 F-150 all I plan to do is run pipe lines mostly here in Louisiana they require 6010 uphill beads however I want to be able to tig and mig if neccessary do you have any recomendations as for which machine would best suit the job?



                            Originally posted by HAWK View Post
                            Here's my rig from a few years back. I have since changed trucks, but the set up is basically the same. The welder is a Miller 301G. The compressor is a single stage Rol-Air, and the plasma a Miller 2050. There is also a Dynasty 200DX on the dock (not seen in this view). This job was on site 1/4" aluminum fab work.

                            It's a lot smaller than a lot of rigs and sometimes gets cluttered. All in all I have been very happy with this "compact" set up. It allows me to get the job done.

                            Comment


                            • Imo

                              Iceman, Hawk has not been around much at all in long time.Ican give my suggestion would be a trailblazer i have a 300d and it has never left me needing much more.Unless i,m air arcing then i use my BB402D.
                              BB402D
                              TB300D
                              DIMENSION652
                              MM250X
                              MAXSTAR140
                              S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
                              HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

                              Comment


                              • If your welding pipelines just go with a Lincoln SA200. Seems to be unbeatable machine in this field.
                                Matt
                                MM175, Lincoln Ideal arc 250, Miller Legend

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X