Gary's Welding Trailer Project

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by garybdavis View Post
    I know I couldn't justify the expense, but nice tools and equipment is my one vice.
    Ya know, I bet there are many hobbyists who have this same vice. I know I do, we just got into welding and are acquiring the best that our money can buy, within reason. ( last 2 words added in case wife reads this )

We are going to be building a nice utility trailer, and it will be built like a tank. For me with my inexperience the first trailer will be a long term project, but I have watched some excellent trailer being constructuce from raw material to rolling down the road and I know what it takes.

I gotta say though, however you classify yourself that trailer is EXCELLENT.

You may not make a living from welding, but I bet you could.

Comment

To Harco Sparky, Gary did a buitifull job on his trailer and am sure he made it how he feels he needs it,
      I built one like it about 10 years ago for my Miller Big 40.

Whenever I build something like that I draw it to scale on paper so I can catch any mistakes including how much space between cables etc.
      Gary has a hitch on the back of his trailer for what I will assume to be a vise mount.
      I would encase the tanks and gages inside inside there own roll bar so that I could leave them on and in the event of a roll over the guages would not get ripped off the tanks.

I would also make a rack to hold a couple different size ladders and additional space on the rack to haul some longer pcs. of steel.

When making a spot for your vice remember that many time you may put some thing long in it to grind, it is often handy to have a rest to hold the other end of the pipe even to the bottom jaw of the vise.

I really like the way Gary hid his lock inside that pipe, I caution him to make sure he has extra keys for that lock because he will destroy his box trying to get the lock off if he loses his key.

Comment

Somehow I missed this one earlier????

I think the planning and engineering here were excellent, and the finish work is top-notch.

I see the hitch receiver on the back of the trailer, some think it's just for a vise, I also see a trailer wire plug back there, you set it up to haul another trailer behind it?

Comment

very impressive work Gary, extremely proffesional job.

marty
          Miller Synchrowave 250
          OTC 300DM with external wire feeder
          Miller XLi Dale Sr., fibre metal hoods
          Metaltek of Ky. Inc.
          Home of the Stephensburg weld

Comment

what about it gary???????????

Comment

Great work. dont call youreself a hobbiest anymore
              You and Fun for now should team-up.
              Put some feelers out....see what the market has to say.
              great craftmanship, attention to detail.Youll blow em away
              GOOD LUCK

Dave

Comment

The hitch on the back is for towing another trailer or mounting a vice. I put a connector back there for hooking up trailer lights just in case I take it on the road with another trailer hooked up. Most likely, this would be my trailer mounted Ingersol Rand air compressor for arcair applications.

I did a scaled CAD layout complete with dimensions before I started construction. I also did front-to-rear center of gravity calculations to insure the tongue weight would be balanced. If anyone wants copies, email me and I'll send them to you. The CAD will be in PDF format so you wonít need special software to view them. The center of gravity calculations are in an Excel spreadsheet.

Davis.garyb<at>gmail.comxx is my address. Youíll have to insert the @ symbol in the proper place and remove the xx. I write it like this to keep the computer trolls from pulling it off this forum and adding it to their spam list.

There are eight-ways-to-Sunday to lay out a welding trailer. This one doesnít have it all, but I like itís simplicity. It rarely leaves the farm and will spend most of its working life welding fence bracing, corrals, etc.

BTW, Thanks for all the kind compliments.
                Millermatic 35
                Miller TB302G
                Ellis 1800
                Smith & Victor Torches
                Optrel Satellite
                Arcair K4000
                Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
                Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

One last thought. My wife and kids took one look at the paint job and instantly starting calling it the "smurf-mobile". I had this blue tint to my hair from the overspray when I came in from painting it and they started calling me "papa-smurf". When I go out to weld with it, they call me "welder-smurf". When one of my buddies calls to borrow it, they ask the "smurf-mobile". I thought the paint was a good choice, but man...
                  Millermatic 35
                  Miller TB302G
                  Ellis 1800
                  Smith & Victor Torches
                  Optrel Satellite
                  Arcair K4000
                  Ingersoll-Rand 175CFM Diesel Air Compressor
                  Home Made Welding Trailer

Comment

I hear tell that all Smurfettes just love blue machines and blue welders.

Comment

Hi Gary,
                      Great work! Looks as if you will be moving down in our neck of the woods.
                      Peace,
                      Chaz
                      Artist

Comment

I have a red one about like that, I would have to say yours is nicer though.

Comment

Great job you did

Gary, I've not seen the professionals in my area do any better. Superb job!
                          Is that a miller Blue? I've not found any paint to match Miller's.
                          Bobby

Comment

Flag Fire Water Bottles

I notice you have Flag Fire water extinguishers.
                            This may not apply to you or you may already know this.
                            There has been a recall on Flag Fire Water extinguishers purchased between 2003 and 2005. See link http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07507.html
                            Really nice trailer also.

Comment

Very nice Job, I make my living fabricating custom projects and I must say yours looks very nice. I can't say i've ever had the pleasure of building a welding trailer but I have built my share of custom trailers. If I may, I will post a pic of a blue trailer I built.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Copies of plans

Gary-
                                Please email your cad copies plus cg calcs. Thanks much in advance.
                                stingmcb@bellsouth.net
                                Gary McBride

Originally posted by garybdavis
                                The hitch on the back is for towing another trailer or mounting a vice. I put a connector back there for hooking up trailer lights just in case I take it on the road with another trailer hooked up. Most likely, this would be my trailer mounted Ingersol Rand air compressor for arcair applications.

I did a scaled CAD layout complete with dimensions before I started construction. I also did front-to-rear center of gravity calculations to insure the tongue weight would be balanced. If anyone wants copies, email me and I'll send them to you. The CAD will be in PDF format so you wonít need special software to view them. The center of gravity calculations are in an Excel spreadsheet.

Davis.garyb<at>gmail.comxx is my address. Youíll have to insert the @ symbol in the proper place and remove the xx. I write it like this to keep the computer trolls from pulling it off this forum and adding it to their spam list.

There are eight-ways-to-Sunday to lay out a welding trailer. This one doesnít have it all, but I like itís simplicity. It rarely leaves the farm and will spend most of its working life welding fence bracing, corrals, etc.

BTW, Thanks for all the kind compliments.
                                Sting

Comment

Working...
                                X