Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

• If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gary's Welding Trailer Project

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

excelent work

I made two welding trucks and made my living off them for 20 years and I have to say nothing I have ever made looked better then your welding trailer. I would like to offer a different way to build for the next one.where your leads are located I would have put the o/a bottles with the ox bottle thru the floor as low as posible with out draging the ground even in the ruff and built the frame to cover the top of the cylinders with the gages on so you can drive down the road with out taking them off. If you use your trailer for many years think how many times you have to take your gages off to drive some were leagally and I think it would be easer to load and un load the tanks from the back were the fender would not be in the way. I also would put the leads up to the fender and a little higher with a wrap bracket on the bottom as you have on the top that way you can wrap your cables tight and run a chain and padlock for securtie. This is just food for thought that is what these forums are for. JIM

Comment

EXCELLENT
      I am blue with envy
      I would not change a thing.
      Laurence

Comment

Originally posted by hondacycleman1
        I made two welding trucks and made my living off them for 20 years and I have to say nothing I have ever made looked better then your welding trailer. I would like to offer a different way to build for the next one.where your leads are located I would have put the o/a bottles with the ox bottle thru the floor as low as posible with out draging the ground even in the ruff and built the frame to cover the top of the cylinders with the gages on so you can drive down the road with out taking them off. If you use your trailer for many years think how many times you have to take your gages off to drive some were leagally and I think it would be easer to load and un load the tanks from the back were the fender would not be in the way. I also would put the leads up to the fender and a little higher with a wrap bracket on the bottom as you have on the top that way you can wrap your cables tight and run a chain and padlock for securtie. This is just food for thought that is what these forums are for. JIM
        That is some good feedback. Now, I'm going to have to tear the whole thing apart and start over...

Comment

Better Idea, e-mail and I will be there in about 8 hrs. and take your problem away for the material cost & a small contribution for your labor
          Then you can start over with a clean slate & we both win
          Laurence

Comment

I never would have offered my reply if I thought you would do that.Your rig is top notch use it and keep in mind how could I improve the next one.Nothing man makes will be perfect The things I see different are because my jobs and location were different. Some jobs would require me to change bottles 4 times in a week and a k ox bottle is a bear to lift. Some times I would have to be in a place where theft was a serious concern ( I locked everything ,gear shift in reverse and padlocked, and I used a pipe cut in half and hinged over my gages at the attachment nut and pad locked, cables rapped tight with chain criscrosed and pad locked.) and I still worried.
            Your rig is top notch now go make some money.
            JIM

Comment

I really like the trailer, very clean. What size channel (size/weight) did you use, and is the star near the tongue cast iron? Did you weld it on or braze it?

Comment

Gary,

Nice attention to detail, has usual....

Pete

Comment

wow just dosent cover it. you should get many years of great use out of it.i can only imagin how pleased you must be with it.it's got to be great to have your stuff set up just the way you want it.
                  also realy pleased to see you put safty high on your priority list with all the fire equipment right up front for easy access.

Comment

gary'
                    very very nice trailer!Now I must go use some of your ideas for my truck.It never ends,always finding some little thing that I can tweak.Ideas like those posted on this board keep use "updating" all the time.

Comment

The stars are "grey cast" and are welded on from the rear side. I drilled holes in the channel behind the stars and went at it with the MM35.

The frame and tongue for the trailer is 4x5.4 channel. The cross supports are 3x4.1 channel.

Comment

Excellent Project

Gary that is an excellent project, great design and the implementation, craftsmanship and detail is outstanding. About the best I've seen. The documentation and pictures are top notch too.
                        Harold

Comment

nice work

GREAT JOB ,As for making a living welding from the trailer,it would never work for me i have to carry way too much stuff.my rig is loaded clamps,porta power ,feeder,air tools,rod,rigging,hand tools,hammers,power tools.creeper,jack stands,tri-pod,floor jack you get the point.

Comment

Gary,
                            I gotta say that your trailer is a beutifull piece of work. I'm sure it's really something to see in person. I have been thinking about building one also. I just don't have room on my truck for all the tools and welding equipment.I did like Jim's input. He made some good points.
                            Nice job,
                            Bulldog

Comment

this trailer is awsome.is gary still on here because i want to copy this trailer in a lot of ways.i would also like to get some measurements on a couple things with trailer.very nice work

Comment

Originally posted by weldingrod View Post
                                this trailer is awsome.is gary still on here because i want to copy this trailer in a lot of ways.i would also like to get some measurements on a couple things with trailer.very nice work
                                Thanks for bringing this up Weldingrod, I don't know how I missed this one. Great looking trailer. He is still on the member list so maybe you can e-mail him.

Comment

Working...
                                X
                                Special Offers: See the latest Miller deals and promotions.