Soldering tinyparts ??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering tinyparts ??

I have the oportunity to repair hearing aids(replace parts)It's a long story of this came about!
    What kind of soldering iron/station would be recomended and where to buy?And also a magnifier loop.
    I've look at some soldering stations on e bay
    Any suggestions?
    Thanks and have a Merry Christmass(yep'I said it)
    DEA

MERRY CHRISTMAS to you too. I am SOOOO tired of this PC crap. When someone says Happy Holidays or whatever, I always say 'and Merry Christmas to you"

Comment

Head over to radio shack and pick up any 35w soldering iron. You could buy that cold heat iron, but be prepared to have a stock of batteries avaliable

Happy Holidays everyone!
      -Tanner

Comment

The cold heat thing would be impossible on some of the circuit traces I've fixed. I also wonder how well those actually solder. Solder doesn't fuse till the base metal is hot, so getting consistent cold joints is all I can envision with the cold heat gizmo. I haven't tried one though, so I could be completely wrong - but my guess is they're crap based on the commercials.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
        Smith O/A rig
        And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

For soldering TINY parts you'll need something like this
          http://www.cooperhandtools.com/ad_pages/WMRS.htm

or the newer hot air soldering stations that go for about $1700. They solder with just hot air, hence the name.

I've never been inside a hearing aid but I have soldered on some teeny stuff.

Hope this helps you.....

By the way, Merry Christmas to all........

mow

Comment

I solder copper pipe with my heat gun all the time.
            Syncrowave 250DX
            Invison 354MP
            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
            Smith O/A rig

Comment

I like my cold heat. I do a lot of PC modding, and I've never had a cold joint with that. If you use it within it's limits, its fine.
              -Tanner

Comment

I saw someone else was putting their name on it the other day. So I'm guessing you're right in that it has its place.

You can set up your own soldering station by getting a heavy duty dimmer switch and a double gang box to plug the iron into. It won't be indexed like the expensive ones, but it works good for under $10.
                Syncrowave 250DX
                Invison 354MP
                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                Smith O/A rig

Comment

Originally posted by Mowjunk
                  For soldering TINY parts you'll need something like this
                  http://www.cooperhandtools.com/ad_pages/WMRS.htm

By the way, Merry Christmas to all........

mow
                  Those are expensive like $500-600

Comment

Weller has made soldering irons, soldering stations, and all things soldering for as long as I can remember. My first soldering gun that I used to build my Heathkit AT1 in 1954 was a Weller. Look 'em up -you'll find what you need.

Hank
                    ...from the Gadget Garage
                    Millermatic 210 w/3035, BWE
                    Handler 210 w/DP3035
                    TA185TSW
                    Victor O/A "J" series, SuperRange

Comment

I use a Pace soldering iron/station both at home and at work. They have adjustable heat, and really work well. Most importantly though, you can get tiny little tips for them, which you will need if your soldering tiny little stuff. The price can range anywhere from $100 on up. I have a ST25 model at home and use it on very small IC's with a small tip and it works great.
                      Also, get the smallest solder you can find. That should help as well.

Good Luck,
                      Joshua

Comment

You can get a setup with a small iron in the 15 watt range. They are about $160 or so. But like I said, although I need one, I've never seen the inside of a hearing aid. The new chips on computer mother boards are soldered with hot air, but a small iron can be used on a regular circuit board. You might try a hamfest or a flea market around you. Sometimes you can find then there.

Also get some teeny solder which is also sort of expensive but a pound will probably last you a career.

I forgot to mention earlier that I have a thing called an OptiVisor that has an adjustable headband much like your welding helmet and it just swivels down in front of my eyes. You can also use it with glasses. Indispensible for removing steel slivers and such. I don't work on electronics anymore so it is devoted to splinter duty!

Let us know how the venture goes. I'd give it a shot if I were you.....

mow

Comment

Joshua, sorry....I must have been typing when you posted.......

Didn't mean to double up on the info...

mow

Comment

Thanks for the info.
                            After looking on the auction site.There is so much to choose from.
                            I'm guessing that I'll need a small micro or pencil type iron?

Comment

Mowjunk,
                              No problem, don't worry about it. It think that more information is better than less.
                              Joshua

Comment

Working...
                              X