Gas Tank Repair

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gas Tank Repair

What's the safest way to weld five of six studs back to my gas tank? The studs are mounted on top of the tank, it's where the fuel pump mounts. I don't want to blow my self up...

Thanks Pete

Originally posted by pgk
    What's the safest way to weld five of six studs back to my gas tank? The studs are mounted on top of the tank, it's where the fuel pump mounts. I don't want to blow my self up...

Thanks Pete
    Send it to a welder who lives far from you.

Seriously though, i don't think there is a good way. If you steam cleaned it, and then tried to weld it while full of water perhaps. I think i would buy a new tank.
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 175
    Spectrum 375
    All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
      I think i would buy a new tank.
      i don't think you will get anyone to tell you the "safe" way to weld a gas tank......i don't think one exists. it really isn't worth it, especially if it blows!
      The one that dies with the most tools wins

If it's worth having, it's worth working for

Comment

Just fill it with water. No air = no combustion. You could also have it boiled out, then weld it. Another method I have seen used is to purge it with an inert gas, argon, co2, or car exhaust (don't laugh, I have seen the car exhaust method used successfully), then weld. Its realy not so bad, but there is a lot of potential for problems, so a lot of people shy away from it. Be sure to wear protective clothing and PPE for it though, and have a fire extinguisher handy.

Comment

well ive done numerous tanks with fittings etc... for over 20 yrs never a problem . obviously take tank out of vehicle . drain all gas etc..
          take it to a steam cleaner not a pressure wash and run the hose in for about 20 minutes . occasionally if a steam cleaner not available ill pressure wash with tide soap for a long time till the smell of gas is pretty much gone . make sure when you weld its well vented and if your paranoid lol try the torch in the hole where filler neck goes but put tank on opposite side of concrete wall outside and just reach around with torch . the best way is to steam them out . personnally this has always worked for me but its your life so do what you will . only reason i dont fill with water when welding is i like to keep as many vents open as possible just in case that way if god forbid there is any fumes it has place to escape and not blow tank apart . Like i said if i get paranoid always do torch test first with safety gear and concrete wall to protect me .
          Miller aerowave full feature
          Lincoln power mig 300 with prince gun
          dynasty 200 dx
          lincoln sp 135 plus
          302 trailblazer
          s22p12
          powcon starcut
          cp 400 metal spray

Comment

Thanks guy's, I thought I would just replace the tank at first, but after finding out a replacement tank is $1000.00 I figured a repair was in order.

Pete

Comment

Remove and fill with water. Steam cleaning is temporary, vapors can remain in the metal and out-gas later. I used to repair Semi trailer tankers at Fruehauf. We steamed them and checked for vapor every hour. Try climbing into one with a spool gun and welding up the cracks! They were Aluminum trailers. Had an air removal system hose and a safety man on top at all times.

Comment

This is managed risk, wash with a good detergent I like Dawn dish liquid but that is just me. Keep it full of clean water and make sure the water doesn't have that oily floating film because that is still flamable!

What kind of tank is a grand?

Comment

What about making a new flange and then epoxying that to the tank with something like jb weld?

I did that with a tank that my buddy didn't want to drop - cut a hole in the floor above the pump and went to town. I put a rtv bead around the hole first too, so the epoxy really just kept the plate from moving and breaking that seal.

The other option would be making a new tank, but then you get the joys of pressure testing and getting it to fit right, and all that extra work.
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
                  Smith O/A rig
                  And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
                    What kind of tank is a grand?

I'm curious too, what fuel tank costs $1000?

Comment

Welding on a gas tank is no more dangerouse than driving a car. As long as folow proper proceedure you wont have a problem.
                      Just as many people before me said, remove the tank, remove the fuel, wash out with water and detergent, leave the water as high in the tank as possible, which may mean capping some of the holes so the tank can remain full. ( No fumes no explosion,) however beware to make sure that there arent hidden baffles that hold fumes, purging the tank with co2, nitrogen, or argon is another way of displacing the fumes.
                      When I weld on natural gas lines, I shut the gas off, disconect the line at the meter, install caps on the ends with smaller fittings and purge with nitrogen. Once again its about follwing the proper proceedure.

Comment

Thanks again guy's, I know $1000.00 for a gas tank what a joke. The tank is in one our delivery trucks at work.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                        X