No announcement yet.

Homemade Tig cooler question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sundown, I have my wt20 ordered and my cooler isn't nearly as close to done yet.

I also went with procon, but will be using a 3 core condenser for the heat dissipation and will devise some kind of tank out of stainless sheet (I'm thinking - since I haven't bought the materials yet).

What are you guys using for lines? I've got some rubber air hose left over thats too small for my tools, or then there's automotive fuel hose, could always sweat in some solid copper... What kind of temps does the return side see?
    Syncrowave 250DX
    Invison 354MP
    XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
    Smith O/A rig
    And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Tig Cooler

I used a radiator out of a Honda Civic from the wrecking yard. Cost me all of about 10 bucks. It only about 12"x12"x2". Copper cores, it works great. It would probably cool a 600 amp torch.

Comment

The condenser I got is almost 20" long, by about 9.5" wide and a little over an inch thick (with 3/8" tubes). I'm thinking 600A would be a breeze as well. It was $20 at a surplus place.
        Syncrowave 250DX
        Invison 354MP
        XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
        Smith O/A rig

Comment

I am using copper tubing for pickup, all the other lines are 3/8" ID tygon reinforced to 260 psi that is certinly stronger than the return lines on those #20 torchs. I put togeather two aluminum oil coolers that are normally used on a fork lift transmission togeather for a size of 5"X5"X1.5", which is the same size as the fan. Both are located in one duct so that the fan pulls air through the cooling fins and out the back of the housing.
          Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
          Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
          Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
          Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

I'm thinking my pump will be mounted below the tank, so a bottom tap will supply water going out. The air hose I have is rated at 300psi, I just don't want to spend lots of time fitting couplings and soldering joints.
            Syncrowave 250DX
            Invison 354MP
            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
            Smith O/A rig

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim
              I'm thinking my pump will be mounted below the tank, so a bottom tap will supply water going out. The air hose I have is rated at 300psi, I just don't want to spend lots of time fitting couplings and soldering joints.
              The copper pipe is connected via a pressure fitting (?), all the others are 3/8" barbed.....no soldering here either, probably a good thing as I'm not real good at it.
              Regards, George

Comment

Is there any reason you're putting the tank on top?
                Both of your plans sound a lot like what I'm planning to do.
                Unless my mind gets changed, I plan to have the reservoir on the bottom & use an angled front panel (so it will be easier to see) & mount the cooler under my welder.
                What kind of antifreeze do you intend to use? I've heard DexCool will work OK.
                I'm gonna try it with water first, make sure everything works & no leaks, then I'll add some antifreeze. Would it be worth it to get the "made for cooler" antifreeze, or will a substitute work?
                Syncrowave 180 SD
                MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                1971 Roughneck 1e
                Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                Optrel Satellite OSE
                ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                O/A Set
                Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Pump priming and air bubbles will never be a problem with a bottom outlet port and a pump below the water level (natural siphon action). It also has partly to do with the space available for my cooler. I was thinking I'd use a much smaller pump/motor assembly and then just bought the carbonator pump and motor together to make it easy (and it was $30 delivered for the pair). There's a good chance I might chop up my tig cart to make more space, but I haven't decided yet. I just got a couple free little propane tanks and one of them is destined to become my water reservoir. I also had planned to use a heater core, so when I found the condenser, it was bigger than I was initially shooting for too.
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Smith O/A rig

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
                    <snip>Unless my mind gets changed, I plan to have the reservoir on the bottom & use an angled front panel (so it will be easier to see) & mount the cooler under my welder.
                    What kind of antifreeze do you intend to use? I've heard DexCool will work OK.
                    I'm gonna try it with water first, make sure everything works & no leaks, then I'll add some antifreeze. Would it be worth it to get the "made for cooler" antifreeze, or will a substitute work?
                    I was going to angle mine also but couldn't get everything to fit so flat front it is.

I am going to use plain de-mineralized water, depending on which procon pump you have I was told the the seals on some models could be ruined by using anti-freeze but I havn't been able to find how how to tell.
                    Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                      I was going to angle mine also but couldn't get everything to fit so flat front it is.

I am going to use plain de-mineralized water, depending on which procon pump you have I was told the the seals on some models could be ruined by using anti-freeze but I havn't been able to find how how to tell.
                      I've not got mine far enough along to tell if everything will fit on an angled front yet, but I'll make it fit. I WANT an angled front.
                      Have you considered the fact that building your own cooler gives you an unlimited lifetime warranty - direct from the manufacturer!

Have you checked to see how much a seal would cost for one of these pumps? Shouldn't be much, or take long to replace. I could well be wrong (it's happened before) but I don't think antifreeze will damage a seal that will seal water.
                      Once I test mine with water, I'll add antifreeze & let you know how it works.
                      Syncrowave 180 SD
                      MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                      1971 Roughneck 1e
                      Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                      Optrel Satellite OSE
                      ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                      Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                      O/A Set
                      Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                      1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                      Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                      My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Pump priming and air bubbles will never be a problem with a bottom outlet port and a pump below the water level (natural siphon action). It also has partly to do with the space available for my cooler. I was thinking I'd use a much smaller pump/motor assembly and then just bought the carbonator pump and motor together to make it easy (and it was $30 delivered for the pair). There's a good chance I might chop up my tig cart to make more space, but I haven't decided yet. I just got a couple free little propane tanks and one of them is destined to become my water reservoir. I also had planned to use a heater core, so when I found the condenser, it was bigger than I was initially shooting for too.
                        I tested my pump thru a friends torch using two buckets of water and found there is no problem priming the pump as it would lift water easily 8 ft (the highest I checked). It would fill from dry in a few seconds and there were never any air bubbles as long as the pump was running and the pickup was in the water at least 1/2", I included the psi guage as a way to be sure water was being pumped with any air mixed in.

Its going to be interesting to see how a tig cooler can by built by three different people using basicly the same sort of parts and ideas.
                        Regards, George

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
                          I've not got mine far enough along to tell if everything will fit on an angled front yet, but I'll make it fit. I WANT an angled front.
                          Have you considered the fact that building your own cooler gives you an unlimited lifetime warranty - direct from the manufacturer!

Have you checked to see how much a seal would cost for one of these pumps? Shouldn't be much, or take long to replace. I could well be wrong (it's happened before) but I don't think antifreeze will damage a seal that will seal water.
                          Once I test mine with water, I'll add antifreeze & let you know how it works.
                          I think someone here has a parts breakdown of one of these pumps, if not maybe parts can be had from the maker. Lifetime warrenty I like that, it might come in handy Angled front! go for it, mine is going to end up looking like a square box sitting on top of an old turkey roaster
                          Regards, George

Comment

Procon actually has a swap out program where as long as your core is rebuildable, they'll exchange it with a rebuilt at various service centers (for a fee of course). I happen to be not too far from IMI Cornelius, who's one of such centers.

If I go with the propane tank, it will be for speed and ease of construction (and coolness factor). I had planned on making a square tank in the space I provided, but that would take lots of time and or a metal brake and shear (I don't have). I'm certain my condenser is capable of handling the cooling needs with a small reservoir, so that's not so much an issue for me either. Water is difficult to change temperature in, so having a large body of it to help dissipate the heat is an advantage if you lack the means to mechanically exchange it via a radiator (or is a cheap way to augment using a small heat exchanger in your "commercially available design" coolers).
                            Syncrowave 250DX
                            Invison 354MP
                            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                            Smith O/A rig

Comment

Procon actually has a swap out program where as long as your core is rebuildable, they'll exchange it with a rebuilt at various service centers (for a fee of course). I happen to be not too far from IMI Cornelius, who's one of such centers.

If I go with the propane tank, it will be for speed and ease of construction (and coolness factor). I had planned on making a square tank in the space I provided, but that would take lots of time and or a metal brake and shear (I don't have). I'm certain my condenser is capable of handling the cooling needs with a small reservoir, so that's not so much an issue for me either. Water is difficult to change temperature in, so having a large body of it to help dissipate the heat is an advantage if you lack the means to mechanically exchange it via a radiator (or is a cheap way to augment using a small heat exchanger in your "commercially available design" coolers).
                              The propane tank sounds cool, I used the turkey roaster because my wife was throwing it out because it was her Dad's and she never liked cooking with it anyway, it is from the 70's and is a very thick peice of formed, anodiozed aluminum. I could do the sheetmetal top because I built a 24" bench type sheetmetal break from scrap a few years back for these kind of projects & its come in handy once in a while.
                              Regards, George

Comment

I fit up the tank last night to check to see how it would work, and it's gonna be nice. Got the valve off and did the first purge with water. I'll hit the inside with some acetone later today to try and get more of the stink out of it (and any oils that might be stuck on the walls. The tank itself is a little rusty, but the inside looks clean. It's at least a gallon, so it should be more than sufficient for volume.

I'll put up pics when I take some.
                                Syncrowave 250DX
                                Invison 354MP
                                XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                                Smith O/A rig

Comment

Working...
                                X