Homemade Tig cooler question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tailshaft56
    Any shape you want? You're not in the market for an english wheel are you? LOL I wasn't aware the stainless tanks had a plastic liner.

Dennis
    The stainless tanks don't have a plastic liner, but if you look at some of the newer coolers they have a plastic (poly) tank to hold the coolent and it is sitting inside a SS case that holds the rest of the stuff.
    Regards, George

Hobart Handler 210 w/DP3035 - Great 240V small Mig
    Hobart Handler 140 - Great 120V Mig
    Hobart Handler EZ125 - IMO the best 120V Flux Core only machine

Miller Dynasty 200DX with cooler of my design, works for me
    Miller Spectrum 375 - Nice Cutter

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
      ...and there must be a reason why the big makers are going to plastic tanks inside of SS box's.
      Because they can injection mold them by the hundreds per day with 0% rejects from seepage, instead of having to check their welds for leaks and pay someone to fix `em.
      Syncrowave 250DX
      Invison 354MP
      XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
      Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81
      Smith O/A rig
      And more machinery than you can shake a 7018 rod at

Comment

Originally posted by Fishy Jim
        Because they can injection mold them by the hundreds per day with 0% rejects from seepage, instead of having to check their welds for leaks and pay someone to fix `em.
        No seepage, sounds good to me
        Regards, George

Comment

Yeah, the drips are never good.
          Syncrowave 250DX
          Invison 354MP
          XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
          Smith O/A rig

Comment

yeah in todays market ijection molded products are much cheaper than welded or even stamped steel or stainless, especially if high number runs are made. And molds for plastic dont wear out nearly as fast as steel dies for stamping.
            Trailblazer 302g
            coolmate4
            hf-251d-1
            super s-32p
            you can never know enough

Comment

Seems like a top and gasket would make a Benard style pretty easy.
              http://www.bigtray.com

The link is not working but you will find it somewhere.

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.VOL90062,catid.19750.html

Comment

Originally posted by Scott V
                Seems like a top and gasket would make a Benard style pretty easy.
                http://www.bigtray.com

The link is not working but you will find it somewhere.

http://www.bigtray.com/productdetails.asp!sku.VOL90062,catid.19750.html
                Have to get my son from school, I will look when I get back...Hmmm

Added: Scott thanks for the idea, I might go that way I think I saw some of those hot table pans at the salvage yard.
                Regards, George

Comment

When I first saw those coolers I thought "what cheap ******s" they were. It does make a lot of sense from a smaller manufacturer perspective to do it that way though. Same reason the big boys are going plastic.
                  Syncrowave 250DX
                  Invison 354MP
                  XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                  Smith O/A rig

Comment

Originally posted by Sundown
                    I am interested to see what you come up with, I'm stuck on mine until Surplus sends me the rest of my stuff. As for dis-connects try this link.....

http://arc-zone.com/catalog/web_stor...=1523490_50990

I think the connectors are the "5/8" x 18LH "B" Style Female", should be able to get them at a welding dealer I hope.
                    Hey Sundown & Laiky...
                    How did this turn out? I'm gathering parts for a cooler now & am looking for any input.
                    I'm using a steam-table pan as the reservoir (9X20X4) should hold about 3 gal. I've got a ProCon pump & motor assembly a transmission cooler & a tangential fan blower.
                    Thanks Cya Frank
                    Syncrowave 180 SD
                    MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                    1971 Roughneck 1e
                    Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                    Optrel Satellite OSE
                    ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                    Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                    O/A Set
                    Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                    1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                    Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                    My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Originally posted by frank865
                      Hey Sundown & Laiky...
                      How did this turn out? I'm gathering parts for a cooler now & am looking for any input.
                      It's NOT!!! Parts are just sitting on the bench waiting for me. God, real life sucks! I haven't touched my dynasty in weeks.
                      Dynasty 200 DX
                      Millermatic 175
                      Spectrum 375
                      All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Originally posted by Laiky
                        It's NOT!!! Parts are just sitting on the bench waiting for me. God, real life sucks! I haven't touched my dynasty in weeks.

Soorrry....I didn't mean to start anything... Just asked a simple question & got jumped on...

I understand about "real life" especially this time of year!!!

It may take a little while, but I'm gonna get a cooler put together.
                        How are you planning to route the flow? What I intend to do (unless someone tells me why not!) is: suction from the tank through an electric fuel pump strainer to the inlet side of the pump Output of pump to the torch, return from torch into bottom of cooler, cooler to flow indicator, & return to tank.
                        Is this anything like your plan?
                        Syncrowave 180 SD
                        MM185 with 3035 Spool gun
                        1971 Roughneck 1e
                        Stars-n-Stripes BWE
                        Optrel Satellite OSE
                        ESAB 875 Plasma Torch
                        Lincoln 200SA Diesel
                        O/A Set
                        Century 250A/C-D/C BuzzBox
                        1.5 kVA Spot Welder
                        Phoenix Electrode Conditioning Oven

Professional Auto Mechanic since 1974
                        My own shop since 1981

Cya Frank

Comment

Laiky:
                          I feel you pain, lack of arc time. Bummer! Me too! My new job has me running pretty hard 60 hrs a week seems normal.

When the time gets back to you post a pic for me, of the finished product.

Oh yea another reason for manufacturers to use plastic is as the years go by it wont begin to develope oxidation in the tank and clog the torch, as another issue is the weight of shipping and shop moving, lighter is a posative in multiple aspects.

Peace.

Comment

Originally posted by pjseaman
                            another issue is the weight of shipping and shop moving, lighter is a posative in multiple aspects.

Peace.
                            So miller should go to aluminum windings then right?

I don't think weight is a significant factor when the contents are 16# of water (2 gal).
                            Syncrowave 250DX
                            Invison 354MP
                            XR Control and 30A

Airco MED20 feeder
                            Smith O/A rig

Comment

Didn't mean to come across as angry, just ironic that yesterday of all days i finally got to disassembling the pump i bought from the tank and frame. I'm in a weird situation that only allows me to have access to my gararge on weekends, and you know everybody makes that as difficult as possible! I'm still debating how to position everything and make it as small as possible. I might just use the supplied tank to save time. i have a few days off over the holidays, maybe i'll get some time then. Then again i have this dead camaro!
                              Dynasty 200 DX
                              Millermatic 175
                              Spectrum 375
                              All kinds of Smith OA gear

Comment

Sorry I didn't see see this sooner as something else has been taking my time lately but thats over now. I can report that I am almost done with my cooler, I just need to finish the wrapper and get it painted so hopefully I will be done by the end of this weekend, well maybe not with the paint as its 6 here now and my shop is cold, cold.

I am using a Procon pump adjusted to 50 psi, a bodine fractional motor, 105 CFM muffin fan that has the cooler radiator attached and shrouded with sheetmetal, and an old aluminum turkey roaster to hold 3 gal of water. Air enters from the front, over the motor, thru the cooler and exits via the fan in the rear. Water is pumped via a copper dip tube from the tank to the output side of the pump, then to a 2.5" PSI guage that mounted to front of the front panel, to the torch, back to the lower part of the cooler radiator, then returned to the tank. There is a on/off switch on the front panel along with telltale lights the for the motor and the fan. I have been taking pictures of the progress (slow that it is) and will post when it is finished (well maybe before its painted). Thats all for now as I need to get the kids ready for school, more to come.

I might add that I havn't ordered my #20 torch yet so even if I had it done I couldn't leak check it anyway, guess I need to get the torch on order.
                                Regards, George

Comment

Working...
                                X