No announcement yet.

Water cooled Vs Air cooled TIG torch?

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Water cooled Vs Air cooled TIG torch?

For say light duty 200 amp aluminum welding, how much of a difference is there between the two? Can you get away with a small tungsten with a water cooled torch?
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.

I hadn't used a air cooled torch in awhile, did a job with aircooled becuase I was to lazy to switch back to water cooled. I guess it's one of those things once you have used water cooled it's hard going back to a/c. Everything stays cooler including the tungsten.

Water-cooled is always the way to go if you can get or rig a cooler. I only have an air-cooled available in case I need to do some unexpected TIG while in the field off the TB.

along with staying cooler.. watercooled torches tend to be more flexible and physically smaller for the same amperage rating which makes a huge difference in getting into odd positions as well as a lot less fatigue at the end of the day.... after using a watercooled... switching back to gas cooled feels clunky and stiff..
        just my 2cents worth

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
        Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
        Dynasty 200DX
        Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
        Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

I agree, I have never used an a/c torch but the Water cooled ones are the best! At school we run one on the sync 250 and it's great for what we do, I am probably the only one to actually weld 1/4" stainless at 250 amps and the torch never got hot although my pinky got warm since it was really close to the arc and the metal.
          Saving for Dynasty 200 DX