Lens Shade for plasma cutting?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lens Shade for plasma cutting?

I have a 375 miller plasma. I sometimes just use clear safety glasses, which is not good I'm sure. I have some #5 shade safety glasses, but those are too dark most of the time so I rarely use them. I just got some #2 shade safety glasses that are supposed to block 99% UVA and B, is #2 sufficient for plasma cutting?
    Justin Starkey
    Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
    Miller 210 MIG
    Spectrum 375 Plasma
    Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
    VMP Tuning.com

This is one of those debates that has no perfect answer.

The "textbook" answer is usually a #5 lense. The reality is that, if you are cutting correctly, you see very little of the arc because it is shielded by the metal you are cutting. If you are cutting heavier metal or awkward shapes, where more of the arc is exposed, you will want that #5 lense.

For most lighter work on clean sheets, the #2's you have will probably be fine. You will find that quite a few people (including me, occasionally) run plasma cutters with only safety glasses (UV protected clear or light tint) with no ill effect.

My preferred lense is to use my Optrel Satellite set to "grinding" mode, which is something between 2 and 5. Also, the hood or other face shield comes in handy if you rush the cut a bit or hiccup at the wrong time and get a face full of sparks.

JD

Comment

i have run mine with my miller BWE welding hood not turned on witch is a shade 3 i think but the hood has all the safty built in as i have forgotten to turn it on when welding with no ill efects. other than that i use the standerd #5 shade face shield to do my fancy cuts. i use a halegen light to make it easyer to see what i am cutting as mentioned above there is verry little arc to light up the work.
      thanks for the help
      ......or..........
      hope i helped
      sigpic
      feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
      summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
      JAMES

Comment

I tryed the new #2 glasses today and they seemed to let in a lot of light, I think its a lot different with a helmet on shade 2 because the lens area if much smaller. I wish I had a helmet with a grind mode.
        Justin Starkey
        Syncrowave 250 TIGRunner
        Miller 210 MIG
        Spectrum 375 Plasma
        Ford and GM Dyno-tuning on the Moblie Dynojet trailer I built.
        VMP Tuning.com

Comment

keep in mind if using just glasses if it spits back you will not like hot steel in the face so atleast where a face shield with the glasses.
          thanks for the help
          ......or..........
          hope i helped
          sigpic
          feel free to shoot me an e-mail direct i have time to chat. james@newyorkmetalart.com
          summer is here, plant a tree. if you don't have space or time to plant one sponsor some one else to plant one for you. a tree is an investment in our planet, help it out.
          JAMES

Comment

Yeah, I, too, wear my auto Jackson with it turned off. So I get the full UV and splatter protection, with very little tint for visibility because, as mentioned, the arc doesn't light up much of the top of your work.

Comment

I am pretty sure the OSHA standard is minimum shade 5 for plasma and Oxy/Fuel cutting. When I am cutting with plasma or torch, I use my Hornell Speedglass helmet for full face protection with the lens turned off. This gives you the shade 5 that you need in the off state.

$.02

Comment

Fixed shade hood.

I just use my old fixed shade hood with a #7 glass without a problem! Did not think a shade 5 would be to dark. Maybe the rating of the plasma cutter's output has something to do with the shade choice?
                MM251
                Synchrowave 200

PowerMax380
                Victor O/A
                Century 155GS
                Big Window Elite

Run silent, run deep

Comment

I use glasses too, usually dark saftey glasses.

Comment

my welding place has #5 shade safty glasses. i tryed them but didnt like not having the face protection of the full shield and putting the clear face shield over the glasses was just a paine kinda.
                    thanks for the help
                    ......or..........
                    hope i helped
                    sigpic
                    JAMES

Comment

I got the slag shade #3 that Miller sells, they work great, not too dark and not blinding on the arc, but as mentioned, if you cut right, you don't see the light, just keep the tip close to the piece and you should be fine. The hot steel spitting at you does hurt, especially when cutting overhead as there is nowhere to go, after that, i used my Titanium 9400I on grind shade to protect my face, but when I can, i prefer just glasses.
                      Oliver Overgaard
                      TIG & Stick

Comment

I got the slag shade #3 that Miller sells, they work great, not too dark and not blinding on the arc, but as mentioned, if you cut right, you don't see the light, just keep the tip close to the piece and you should be fine. The hot steel spitting at you does hurt, especially when cutting overhead as there is nowhere to go, after that, i used my Titanium 9400I on grind shade to protect my face, but when I can, i prefer just glasses.
                        Oliver Overgaard
                        TIG & Stick

Comment

Another ancient thread brought back...

FWIW.... I have been using #5 for a very long time

Miller Safety Glasses - Shade 5 Lens w/Black Frame 235658

Miller Shade 5 Safety Glasses are ideal eye protection for oxy/fuel cutting or plasma cutting.

Miller Shade 5 Safety Glasses feature a reflective outer coating providing ultraviolet protection and enhanced contrast with minimal glare.

Miller safety glasses provide optimal fit, comfort, performance and style; resulting in safer, more productive work environments. THAT’S THE ARC ARMOR DIFFERENCE!

http://store.cyberweld.com/misaglsh5lew.html

The more you know, The better you know, How little you know

“The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten”

Buy the best tools you can afford.. Learn to use them to the best of your ability.. and take care of them...

My Blue Stuff:
                          Dynasty 350DX Tigrunner
                          Dynasty 200DX
                          Millermatic 350P w/25ft Alumapro & 30A
                          Millermatic 200

TONS of Non-Blue Equip, plus CNC Mill, Lathes & a Plasmacam w/ PowerMax-1000

Comment

Working...
                          X