welding helmet problem?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• welding helmet problem?

i have the miller classic series welding helmet, the problem i have is i think the light reflecting on something back in the helmet. i can see light flashing at the inside bottom of the helmet what can i do about it? cause i dont want to get flash from it or do you think it alright to keep doing that
    Last edited by tim097; 01-20-2018, 01:50 PM.

Not familiar with the headgear on that hood, but on mine I can adjust the hood to move closer to my eyes, thus helping to close up the gap allowing light in.
    Richard

Comment

I don’t know exactly what it’s called but you can buy a neck protector that clips onto the bottom of the hood

Comment

You are supposed to wear clear safety glasses under your hood. The damaging UV is bouncing off the walls behind you and your neck. You will notice it more indoors and at night, but it's happening all the time. Even clear safety glasses will stop it.

But you can also mitigate it with a darker shirt and a hood flap.

Or are you referring to a broken lens that is allowing flashes of light to get through? In this case, it's the outer plastic that primarily stops the UV. The auto-darkening lens would as well, but its purpose is the shade adjustment for the visible spectrum.

Comment

Need to adjust your body or your hood. I like to get the bottom of the hood as close to my chest when I'm welding to seal it off the light so to speak. Most likely something is reflecting from behind you. I notice it most when there' a lot of aluminum near by. Reflects more and causes a glare. Like if someone was standing behind me pointing a flashlight at my head. Unless your lens isn't seated properly and allowing flash to pass through unfiltered.

I use a passive lens. Auto darkeners break, and viewing area isn't as big. If the dark lens becomes scratched, it can allow light through and you won' even know it...which is why you should wear safety glasses under the hood.

Comment

Originally posted by esracerx46 View Post
            If the dark lens becomes scratched, it can allow light through and you won' even know it...which is why you should wear safety glasses under the hood.
            Better safe than sorry... I would agree, but to scratch the dark lens would be a bit strange IMO.
            It has a cover lens over it, although, I have damaged mine.....but I did know it.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
            Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
            MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
            Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
            Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
            Miller 30-A Spoolgun
            Miller WC-115-A
            Miller Spectrum 300
            Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
            Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Originally posted by FusionKing View Post

Better safe than sorry... I would agree, but to scratch the dark lens would be a bit strange IMO.
              It has a cover lens over it, although, I have damaged mine.....but I did know it.
              Easier than you think. Take the cover lens out to replace. Clean the filter lens or set it down... All it takes is one piece of grit. And lord knows theres enough of that in a welding shop.

Comment

Originally posted by esracerx46 View Post

Easier than you think. Take the cover lens out to replace. Clean the filter lens or set it down... All it takes is one piece of grit. And lord knows theres enough of that in a welding shop.
                They can take a little abuse. The way you put it everyone is at risk.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
                Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
                MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
                Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
                Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
                Miller 30-A Spoolgun
                Miller WC-115-A
                Miller Spectrum 300
                Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
                Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

Working...
                X