Dynasty 400 OCV

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dynasty 400 OCV

I am looking for information on the [OCV] Open Circuit Voltage, it allows user to select between Normal (NORM) and Low open circuit voltage. Low reduces open circuit voltage to between 8 and 12 volts. I am trying to find out what the Normal volts is between. It might help me figure out some of the problems I am having with the 400.
    Miller Dynasty 400 TigRunner
    Miller Digital Infinity
    Miller Digital Elite
    Everlast MTS 250S w/ Miller Spoolmatic 30A
    Everlast PowerTig 325 EXT
    Everlast Power i Mig 250

Your numbers seem off to me?
    Most heavy duty and comercial/industrial constant current (stick and tig) welding power sources produce between 80-100 open circuit volts. Inverters are on the lower side of that with transformers being on the higher side. Your dynasty 400 certainly fits into that class.
    Last edited by snoeproe; 12-20-2017, 09:23 PM.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250
    Miller Bobcat 250
    Thermal Arc Hefty 2 feeder
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Comment

Page 2 of the Spec Sheet says max OCV is 75 VDC, with the notation that Lift-Arc TIG and Low-OCV Stick is 10 - 15 VDC.

You can download the Spec Sheet from a link in the middle of this page: https://www.millerwelds.com/equipmen...welders-m30127

Comment

Originally posted by MAC702 View Post
        Lift-Arc TIG and Low-OCV Stick is 10 - 15 VDC.
        Interesting. I wonder where you'd want such a low OCV for stick. Seems like it would be murder trying to get it to light without sticking.

Comment

Originally posted by Helios View Post
          Interesting. I wonder where you'd want such a low OCV for stick. Seems like it would be murder trying to get it to light without sticking.
          You really don't, except I've seen specs somewhere that say a welder used on certain jobs has to have an OCV below a certain voltage. Something like that, but I can't quite remember.

I think it's mostly because the machine has a Lift-Arc low OCV, therefore there is a setting for low OCV, therefore there is a "low-OCV Stick" setting that can also be advertised.

Comment

In the Dynasty 400 manual it said on Page 49 manual OM-275857A
            [OCV] Open Circuit Voltage: Allows user to select between Normal (NORM) and Low open circuit voltage. Low reduces open circuit voltage
            to between 8 and 12 volts. To select, rotate Encoder
            I am not using Stick I am on AC tig and now I have gone to the low OCV the problem I was having was hard to start the arc is now gone, I think the voltage was to high what ever it was and it interfered with the starting of the arc sequence, just a lot of high voltage and no amps.
            . I might have to set it back to normal (NORM) if I ever decide to use the a stick.
            Thanks ever one for the input the new Dynasty 400 is over engineered and lacking information on what things do, like when I asked the factory why they did not put the information on how to use the purge button and they said it does not have one but it does.
            Miller Dynasty 400 TigRunner
            Miller Digital Infinity
            Miller Digital Elite
            Everlast MTS 250S w/ Miller Spoolmatic 30A
            Everlast PowerTig 325 EXT
            Everlast Power i Mig 250

Comment

Working...
            X