Tig welding 16oz and 20oz sheet copper

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tig welding 16oz and 20oz sheet copper

Hi im new to this forum but was wondering if anyone can give me some information on tig welding sheet copper. I'd prefer to fuse the pieces together due to it being art it doesn't have to have alot of strength. If I need to use a filler I will. But my question is I have been reading that the best way to tig copper is with pure helium. Does anyone know if thats true? Also should I just use a tungsten rod or a Red Thoriated Tungsten rod? And one more thing the diameter of the rod should I use 1/16th ? Any information would be greatly appreciated. And anything you may want to add would be helpfull. Thank you

I don't know what 16 and 20 oz copper is. Do you mean ga?

I've never used helium to weld copper, I've done it just fine with argon. Copper is a wonderful heat sink, so it will take some power. That all depends on how big the copper you're welding is. Helium is a much hotter gas, so that may be why someone has suggested it.

I'm going to guess, again, that your question about what tungsten to use is you're considering pure tungsten or thoriated tungsten. I see no reason to use pure for anything anymore. What machine are you welding with?

As for tungsten size, it depends as well. In my shop, I have all sorts of welding going on, very thin to very thick. I've gotten to the point that I just dress down the tungsten I'm using to fit the application.

Comment

16 oz is 24 gauge. 20 oz is 22 gauge. Ex sheet metal worker...Bob
      Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
      http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

I'd try it with the Argon first. Use a tungsten on the smaller side but there is a lot of overlap and it will very quickly come down to a personal preference for how it performs out of YOUR machine. Machine type sometimes makes a difference in tungsten type. And there will still be some overlap here as well for your preference, though some will not be suited at all.

Comment

Originally posted by aametalmaster View Post
          16 oz is 24 gauge. 20 oz is 22 gauge. Ex sheet metal worker...Bob
          Do you know if that is based on the weight of a square foot of it, or something else? Just curious.

Comment

So that's some pretty thin copper then. What are you building?

Comment

"being art it doesn't have to have alot of strength" ........................................Why don't you solder it?

Comment

Originally posted by tarry99 View Post
                "being art it doesn't have to have alot of strength" ........................................Why don't you solder it?
                I think this is one of those times that punctuation would have helped. I read it as "I'd prefer to fuse the pieces together due to it being art. It doesn't have to have alot of strength."

I understand that some people can't spell, though I don't understand how they don't use a spellchecker. Even a guy like me that hates computers knows how to do that. But there is even less excuse for not using punctuation and capitalization.

I'm guessing TIG is preferred, especially autologuous, because the joint would have very little color difference.

Comment

Mac 720 The reason for my spelling not being correct has nothing to do with illiteracy or laziness. I was trying to get my post in while taking care of a 1year old and a 4 year old while there mother was finishing up christmas shopping. On top of that working 40+ hrs a week at are union sheetmetal shop in Buffalo New York. Where I am the superintendent of our sheet metal shop. Witch has me running the jobs for 6 sheet metal crews and meetings with architect's and general contractors on almost a daily basis. Then getting home and as of right now starting up my own sheetmetal business focusing on copper art. When you have that much to juggle the least of my concerns is a couple words not spelled correctly. Trust me after 3 years at Canisius collage and 5 years as a apprentice I can assure you spelling is not a issue for me. Not to mention this is a welding forum not a spelling bee. But you did get one thing correct the reason for wanting to fuse the copper together is to keep the color of the welds similer and have very little build up on the welds. This is art. Not your normal medium for tig welding. Have a wonderful holiday.

Comment

Tarry99 I have been soldering my work. The reason for wanting to tig weld is cleaning off the solder that goes where you dont want it to is very time consuming. But thank you for your reply

Comment

ryanjones2150 I make everything from fish to fountains. You name it I feel i can make it. Thanks for your inquiry. Have a wonderful holiday.

Comment

Bob you are correct 16oz is 1 sq ft weighs 16oz and 20oz would be 1sq ft weighs 20oz. Im not sure if you agree of if im wrong but i was tought that you normally measure steel in guage. Aluminum in thickness like 0.32 or 0.50 and copper in weight please correct me if im wrong. But everytime I order our sheetmetal threw our suppliers that has been the terms we use. Thank you for your reply

Comment

Plrase correct me if im wrong but it seams to me that 16oz 24 guage and 20oz 20 guage is thin enough that I shouldent have to use helium? Now I do see people using argon. As for the look of the final product do yo think having a mix would be my best option or ill be just fine with pure argon? Thanks for any replys. And im sorry for not replying to your questions sooner. I have just been very busy this holiday season. I will be sure to check my post much more often. Everyone who has tried to help me with this post i truly appreciate it and wish you all a MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.

Comment

All scoldings aside, I think you'll be fine with argon and any tungsten besides pure.

I have welded copper in the near past and used just regular old copper wire I stripped from romex as filler. Never used my helium on it either.

I generally use 2% lanthanated, but I have a mix several others in my box as well. Even pure, which I have hardly ever used.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I appreciate your help.

Comment

Working...
                              X