Best metalworking belt sander/grinder for the price

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best metalworking belt sander/grinder for the price

I currently just have an angle grinder but want something a little more convenient for cleaning up metal before welding.
    So I was thinking of a belt grinder...I am open to other ideas as well.
    But what is a good piece of equipment to get the job done. I don't think I need anything like the blade smith's use.

Thanks

Originally posted by aaarneson View Post
    I currently just have an angle grinder but want something a little more convenient for cleaning up metal before welding.
    So I was thinking of a belt grinder...I am open to other ideas as well.
    But what is a good piece of equipment to get the job done. I don't think I need anything like the blade smith's use.

Thanks

Kalamazoo 6" belt sander! Not cheap but very good.

Griff

Comment

I have a little baby 1" Kalamazoo vertical belt grinder. Again, for it's size, not cheap but it is fantastic for deburring/dressing small parts. Never had any idea how much I'd use it until I found how well it worked. You're obviously in the market for something larger but I like my Kalamazoo.

Comment

For the price......We use the snot out of the 6"x 48" belt /12" disc combo like the one grizzly sells (G1183 for like $695)
        it is the perfect size for many projects and if you get ceramic belts and discs Like the Norton Blaze's, it works great.
        3 of us use it every day. I also have a Jancy Radius Master and we still use the 6x48 more

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
        Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
        MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
        Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
        Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
        Miller 30-A Spoolgun
        Miller WC-115-A
        Miller Spectrum 300
        Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
        Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

I'm glad your Grizzly belt/disc combo is working out for you. I tried a Wilton combo a few years ago and it didn't have enough power. It probably was a good machine for woodworking but not for metalwork.

Griff

Comment

I'm with Griff, I have the Kalamazoo 4" wide x 16" vertical table, I use it every day, the 6" wide belt would be a little nicer, but a longer table is what I would really like to have...

Comment

Originally posted by griff01 View Post
              I'm glad your Grizzly belt/disc combo is working out for you. I tried a Wilton combo a few years ago and it didn't have enough power. It probably was a good machine for woodworking but not for metalwork.

Griff
              It has plenty of power. In fact it can be wired for 120 or 240. I use mine on 120 and it works fine. Mine IS for metal. They sell this basic machine in two versions, The G1183 is for metal and does 3450 RPM and the wood version is the G1276 and spins at 1725 rpm. Mine is actually a Rutland brand sold thru Air-Gas. Sold as a Sander/grinder. Only difference is it is grey colored instead of green. I have actually bought internal parts from Grizzly and worked fine.
              Bear in mind we mainly do aluminum in my shop. But it works good on the stainless jobs we do also.
              I don't know what to say about the Wilton not working other than dang that sucks. I have a Wilton 7x12 bandsaw that I'm really not all that impressed with.
              I'm sure there are many better quality brands out there. You just gotta know some are the exact same as lower priced brands with the higher markup for a better name.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
              Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
              MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
              Miller Dynasty 280 with AC independent expansion card
              Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
              Miller 30-A Spoolgun
              Miller WC-115-A
              Miller Spectrum 300
              Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
              Miller Digital Elite Titanium 9400

Comment

All true!

Griff

Comment

Working...
                X