Tap and die set

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tap and die set

I'm in need of a tap and die set. I have been looking at Irwin 117pc set but I'm not willing to pay for drill bits and have them included as part of the total tap and die count, kind of a rip off to me.

what do you guys have a line on for a good set to cover both SAE and metric? I would like to have a good variety. Is it worth having Titanium coated? Or what metal is good for them, HSS Or something else.

just had run into needing to retap stainless exhaust tips for a car but found another way out. Would a regular tap set got it done?
    Last edited by DATEC; 12-07-2017, 06:49 PM.

I have a hodge podge of taps and dies. I use what I can buy cheap. Old stock USA made stuff...Bob
    Bob Wright

Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Comment

Stainless can be mean, but it depends on how big a hole and how deep to judge the difficulty in having success. A cheap tap and/or wrench and your day has a good chance of going south.

As far as a set goes...not sure of the quality of Irwin stuff as of late. I know a lot of their stuff is outsourced to China now, but I don't know about the tap/die sets. I get my taps and dies from my local fastner outfit, and I don't mean Fastenal. It's the kind of place that is primarily a fastner shop but they stock abrasives, make hydraulic hoses, all sorts of industrial goodies. They provide me an excellent source for high quality taps and dies when I need them.

Comment

Are you needing a tap and die set, or a thread restorer set?

Comment

Originally posted by Metjunkie View Post
          Are you needing a tap and die set, or a thread restorer set?
          Tap and die set.

Comment

I've bought some specialty bits from these guys before. If I was in the market for a full set, I think I would consider these. The drill bits have been good and I like the warranty.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/182602463032

Comment

For our service tech's I got Westward brand sets from Grainger they aren't the best but they're not bad as the guys need replacements I get the good stuff from a small local tool supplier.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldgrandad View Post
                For our service tech's I got Westward brand sets from Grainger they aren't the best but they're not bad as the guys need replacements I get the good stuff from a small local tool supplier.
                Do you find Grainger to be typically more expensive (across the board) then other industrial suppliers such as MSC?
                Richard

Comment

Yes the list price is generally higher for name brands but not to bad with there own brand (Westward). They are also 1 block away so I can get stuff in minutes vs. days.

Comment

I use the Klutch sets from Northern Tool. About $80 for each set, but they are very complete. In fact, I just checked and they're on sale for $67 ea set (SAE and Metric).
                    HTP Invertig221 D.V. Water-cooled
                    Eastwood MIG175 w/spoolgun
                    Eastwood Versacut40 Plasma cutter

Comment

The Irwin's are made in the USA, use 5/16" - 1/2" coarse & fine to clean up threads. When one gets dull, replace it.
                      The small Irwin's are not made to actually made to make threads on a steel rod, but work all right on aluminum because the dies are too thin
                      To properly align the die to the rod or shaft.

The make well aligned threads need a thick die with plenty of non tooth smooth taper to guide the did on the rod.
                      industrial supply like MSC, McMaster-Carr has the thick heavy duty dies.

Prefer the dies with hexagon sides rather than round with a set screw dimmable because of slippage.

Prefer using dark thread cutting fluid for steel and aluminum thread cutting fluid for aluminum.

Comment

Working...
                      X